1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Player Development: A Star in Two Years or You are a bust!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket River, May 8, 2024.

?

How long should it take for a player to fully develop?

1. Should be evident in their 1st year

2 vote(s)
    2.2%
  2. 2 years tops

5 vote(s)
    5.4%
  3. 3 yrs - If not time to trade them

38 vote(s)
    40.9%
  4. 4+ Years - They are a bust

23 vote(s)
    24.7%
  5. It is more depended on the Team situation than the player

25 vote(s)
    26.9%
  1. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Experts agree with me.

Here is a video with Sam Vecenie

He says up front he has never liked Jalen Green (both of you have that in common)

He breaks down why Jalen is having success without Sengun. Even you and your
    slow brain can understand.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Objective reality does not agree with you though.

Jordan was a better player his rookie season than Jalen Green has ever or will ever be.

LOL hyping up a bench tier scrub like this is just crazy.

3. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Jalen Green has a head start on MJ stat wise to start their careers. We'll see how it ends up.

You remind me of Wimp-Lo........purposely trained wrong

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Kid, stop doing drugs.

That's the single dumbest thing I've seen on this site....and honestly you should never be allowed to speak about basketball again after this.

5. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

We'll see how it ends up? Does that mean there's a world where you think jalen ends up better then......michael jordan?

6. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

7. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

You need to be able to identify that there is a foundation to build on by year 2 or 3 and there needs to be some progression. There are a lot of guys that you see they have the ability to be reliable and efficient as decent NBA players, but then get put in the right position / traded and they break out later. You can break out in later years and turn into a star, but if you lack the foundation early on then there is very little probability you turn into a star later. Jalen Brunson had the pedigree, he was able to contribute at every level prior to the NBA and win at every level too as a leader. Essentially if you are a very inefficient player, and dont improve year over year, the probability of becoming a break out star is extremely small.

8. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

No ,

Again they were in different eras.

As I watched Jordan I saw him as a ball hog. Later during Hardens time in
    Houston I heard the term "Hero Ball". And that was in a season when Harden
    had about 21 FGA's per game.

The joke after Jordan left college was, "One man stopped MJ in college.....that man was Dean
    Smith (his coach). Dean Smith is a legend in college basketball.....but taught passing the ball.
    Spread the wealth. Michael Jordan came into the league playing "Hero Ball"

That is frowned on today. Ime Udoka comes from the Pops tree of coaching, like
    Steve Kerr they will preach dribble drive, draw multiple defenders, kick out the pass,
    or hit a cutter.

Jalen Green will have to share the ball with VanVleet, Sengun, Jabari, Amen.
    It's who gets open and knocks down their shots might score the most. From day one
    of Jalen Greens rookie year.....teams have been geared to stop Jalen from getting to the rim.
    The use of zone defense has made teams much, much smarter. Knowing who to
    leave open on the perimeter in order to load up the paint with defenders. Nobody has
    wanted to be posterized by Jalen Green. And it prevents momentum after a Jalen dunk.

Rockets have not done facilitators favors by not putting out there knock down
    3-point shooters. League last practically every year Green has been playing.
    When Sengun went out, Udoka found out how to get Jalen going down hill.
    Jalen had an easier time of reading the defense.

Now Udoka will mesh the both of Green and Sengun together. Best case scenario
    is Sengun working with a shooting coach and hitting at least 35% from 3 on
    about 5 attempts per game.

If not we need to add a Jalen Smith who shoots about 2.8 three-point attempts
    in backup minutes (17 or 18 minutes) @ above 40%. Jalen Green can cook
    when Sengun sits (if Sengun cant shoot better).

MJ was heavier during an era when you had to be. MJ would end up with layup and
    the foul but was terrible from 3. Jalen can get stronger; but i can't see him getting to
    210 to 220 pounds like Mike. But Jalen Green doesn't have to get that big.....players
    at Center have gone from Bill Lambier, Kevin Duckworth , Mark Eaton, that have to
    stay close to their assignments and instead will face more Chets, Wemby, Claxton
    types that are quicker and mobile and camp out in the paint.

Score card after Green - MJ age 21 seasons ended (totals):
    Green: 4450 points......933 rebs.....748 asts.....169 stls.....64 blks
    MJ:......2313 points.....534 rebs......481 asts.....196 stls....69 blks

So while MJ was fiddling around in college age 18-20 (3 seasons at North Carolina),
    Jalen Green has been getting on the job training learning the speed of the game.

Unfortunately for MJ, he only plays 18 games in his second season. It will be time
    Jalen Green matures and gets stronger in the same time trajectory of their
    careers. Jalen Green supposedly will be working with his trainer the entire summer
    beginning May 1st. If Green puts on 10 more pounds he will absorb contact better
    and defend the paint better.

Ultimately, before drafting Green I said I projected Jalen Green as Kobe or MJ
    of our day. He may fall short, but will still be greater than Booker/Beal.
    He is in front of Booker in their respective career trajectory.

#188 ApacheWarrior, May 13, 2024
    Last edited: May 13, 2024
  9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's really crazy, right?

Part of me hopes it's just a shtick and he's not actually that delusional

10. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

at one point i went to basketball reference to give some stats but then i realized how dumb that was, it's freakin michael jordan who put up 14 win shares, was 6th in mvp, and 9% above league average in TS as a god damn rookie

meh likes this.
  11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Oh I already did that, I spelled it out for him in great detail showing how Jordan was absolutely dominant on both sides of the ball from his rookie season.

This led to him doubling down, then doubling down again.

He might be legitimately insane.

12. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

I don't usually agree with BTG but bruh stop.. I'm a Green fan but .. nevermind

13. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

This dude narrating this video is on drugs

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

There is a prospect distantly similar to Jordan and that has been a dude named Anthony Edwards......

15. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Green has been a pro for 4 years and is not a star.

Alpi is closer to being a star has been a pro for 6 years.

Neither is a SUPER STAR player but both could become occasional all stars.

We are in search of a DUDE, someone that is going to lead our team - we don't have one yet.....and we PRAY that one is developing, but we don't know for sure.

If we can trade for one with more than 5 years of prime left, we do it.

Those people trying to compare Green to Jordan are fools, and probably way too young to remember Jordan...who was a KILLER - he was not soft as a pillow like Green is......MJ came into the league at 20 hard as nails....

MJ or Lebron are the best ever....Jalen isn't even an all star.....so just stop you are embarrassing yourself.

DD

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

What current Players Fit your Criteria?
    Shay . . .Edwards. . . .. .
    Luka? Jocic? Donovan? Brunson? Haliburton? Tatum? Brown?
    These are the ones left in the playoffs

Maxey? Embiid? Banchao? Zion?

Who else you got?

Rocket River

18. Ancient Moabite

Its weird that someone who claims to be a coach would think 15 g league games is a season..... Or the other anti-Green president member thinks posting metrics is the end all be of player evaluation

When past players (HS) went straight to NBA (sign pro deal) they played that season in the NBA regardless of minutes, they went straight into the actual pro game and not training for a season in a YMCA league to prepare......which is a setback any true scout/seer of game can see.....

a so called head coach should be able to see that in right off top, not try to act like it was a season of NBA experience where he didn't play a single NBA minute while preparing for the draft.......

Then as you mention Silas and also absolute tanking his first 3 seasons, that's why he got so many more minutes then past HS to NBA players......and that is also why we got to see way more of his bad youth play during this rookie contract phase, which overshadowed the elite flash he would display

It was always going to be year 4 (for me), good thing he had that solid March run so he could at least show why he was picked over Mobley etc to hopefully carry it over with improvement across the shooting % board

This upcoming season should be 2 months of march Green..... 2 months of 23-game stretch (last season ending)..... About a month like he did vs Blazers .....the rest can be bad mixed with the Caruso/Twolves(good) type

Nobody would or should be mad at that

He shouldn't post nothing else online/social media this entire off-season other than that pic he shared of him and his BM

Either way, its all on him to sink or swim with the orca whales

I'm banking on 23-game JG4 to be more consistent going forward

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  19. Ancient Moabite

You would have to be insane if you think comparing a player who went to a legend NCAA program with coach to match for 3 yrs and won POY as junior.....to a player who declared for draft out of HS, then had to wait a year and play scrimmage/15 g-league games and then be a spot up shooter(a lot) as a actual NBA rookie is fair on any level

Who is doubling down?

When you compare them, it's because of athletic ability and being shooting guards, Jordan had cat quickness/speed.....Green has that as well.......Green has done MJ-like highlights.....that's where the actual comparison is legit

But if AW, or anybody is truly trying to compare rookie MJ vs Green, then yeah, they might be the supreme court case meaning of Idiot (see also Insane)

Its almost just as insane for someone using VORP and whatever else PER spin-off metric as the end of all be in player evaluation..... But since you didn't play/take it serious then I could see as a fairweather fan - follower why you use those modern alphabet gangs as your holy grail of player evaluation

Insane, but to each their own......

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  20. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

People alleging there's only a small chance Green reaches his potential need to **** or get off the pot. Either you believe or don't believe. The work ethic and good culture is taken care of. Either he has it or he doesn't. Make up your mind.

It's highly likely he'll pop, the data and the analysis has been presented plenty of times. When it happens we're not accepting the narrative that it came out of nowhere. You were just closing your eyes when the evidence was presented.

That's why Green is still here and peaking under a good coach, if the pessimistic analysis was true he would have been benched or traded a million times they predicted it. Drawing a linear progression is not an analysis. It's lazy. There's just something they don't see.

#200 Mathloom, May 14, 2024
    Last edited: May 15, 2024