1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Play Trob as SF

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by haoafu, Mar 1, 2013.

1. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

yea that never happens

2. CertifiedTroll

We can have a big line up!
    PG: T Jones
    SG: Smith
    SF: T Rob
    PF: DMo
    C: Omer

HERHER all kinds of derp in here

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Chuck Hayes could also switch and defend guards decently. Maybe he should be our SG?

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

At least DMo didn't suck against Summer League competition.

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

In the short term no way. The offense they are running now needs the SF to handle the ball quite a bit, and be a decent passer on the perimeter.

T. Robinson could play the 3 in a Gerald Wallace type of role in the future, but right now there is no way he's able to play the 3.

Plus, if you are evaluating his talent like a draft prospect(throwing away judgement from Sacramento experiment), you would be crazy to put him on the perimeter. His rebounding, and post toughness insticts are reason #1, 2, & 3 why he was ever considered a high lottery pick.

6. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

Dmo is grossly overrated bro

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

In all honesty is this really just related to your affections towards 2Pat or have your really spent so much time scouting Thomas Robinson outside of the 8 minutes he recieved the other night, and the limited minutes he recieved in a dysfunctional Sacramento Kings organization for 3 months that you can accurately state an opinion about him as something we can truly take seriously??

8. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Didn't we learn from the Marcus Morris experiment? You can't change a PF to a SF just because they aren't fitting the mold. Especially given the fact that Robinson is very much a Power Forward, save not being as tall as you would like.

9. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

This is a good idea at times, at least on defense. Players do not have to play the same position on offense as defense. Maybe we can use him like a young Artest or Rodman if he can D up on the perimeter. He can play the 3 on defense and the 4 on offense. Ultimately as long as the other forward can shoot outside, it can work.

After he bulks up and learns how to use his body, he can defend the 4 more often.

Remember that Pippen used to guard the 1 at times, and even play the 1 at times, despite being a 3. Magic played a decent 4 at the end of his career despite starting obviously as a 1. I'm not saying TRob is a HOF like the guys I've mentioned, but it is important to play to each player's strengths and not be close-minded based on the way guys look.

10. THELANDLORD

THELANDLORD Member

People who actually watch the way that T-Rob catches the ball, moves with and without the ball, and how he has NO clue what he's doing on either end of the court know that this is probably the worst suggestion that has ever been floated on CF.

He does nothing well. I mean, he actually has no unique skill set (being athletic, strong or big are not unique in the NBA, it's run-of-the-mill).

11. THELANDLORD

THELANDLORD Member

So do we switch Chandler/Carlos to guard his man (the 4) then? I fail to understand how you make playing the 3 a one-way proposition unless you want your SF to guard the 4... Do we play DMo and Trob at the same time?

12. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

Yes, this is an example of what might work. DMot clearly has trouble on the perimeter on defense (stands straight up, closes out at the wrong angles), but has enough length to cause a bit of trouble as a defender in the paint (at least he is better in the paint on D than on the perimeter, relatively speaking). If DMot can show a consistent outside shot, he can space the floor while Trob goes for offensive rebounds on offense. On defense, Trob can take the quicker perimeter player while DMot plays the inside guy. Obviously neither guy is a great defender, but you look for combinations that work against matchups.

Of course if you need to defend a great offensive post player, well then you've got to look at Asik and then a big gaping hole, at least until someone like Smith (or TRob or DMot) develops better post defense.

I think that Chandler at times plays like a 2, despite his height. Delfino tries but obviously he is not a strong post defender at the 4, though he can defend most 3's on the post. So if you've got these guys in the game, you probably still need TRob to play the 4 on defense. So it goes to the matchup and what you do against it.

One problem with McHale is that he does not seem to be a great situational, possession, or matchup subtitution coach. And when he does make an adjustment that works, when the opponent counters, he doesn't counter back and just sits there hoping that what worked earlier miraculously comes back. He is the anti-Don Nelson, so to speak.

13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Yes, let's keep his trade value low by playing him out of position for the next couple years.

14. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

he is not ready at nba level no matter where you put him. his confidence will be destroyed by continuing playing in nba level. the best is to develop him in d-league.

15. CantBeRight

CantBeRight Member

5 star thread.

16. Beebo1911

Beebo1911 Member

Honestly T-Jones would be a better 3 than T -Rob

17. meh

meh Contributing Member

The Rockets coaches apparently raved about his rebounding from their practices. Which means he at least has one high level NBA skill. He's also not horrible on defense. For that reason, I can see why their brass keep him up here.

Besides, it's questionable how much benefit there is to start him with the RGV this late in the season. They're likely targeting the summer to develop him.

18. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Problem is: on the court he looks really small for a 4 - yeah, I know his measurements, but those translate well on the floor.

His handles are atrocious - so playing him at the 3 probably is not an option. But since his post game also needs him to put the ball on the floor, I don't think you can play him at the 4 right now either.

I hope his glaring weaknesses right now are strictly mental, because of the trade and learning a new system. Because if not, I have no idea how draft experts rated him that high. Right now he looks like a guy without a position in the NBA without a shot, a tendency to turn the ball over and with no idea what to do on the defensive side.

But I think most of that can be attributed to the terrible situation he came from and the trade. Give him time.

19. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

no way in hell you could play him at the 3. Dmo and asik could play the 3 better than he could at this point.

20. NotApollo33

NotApollo33 Member

Seriously everytime I read posts like this I wonder to myself why I don't have thread making privileges.