1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Plaxico Burress wants Houston!

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Matt_Maloney, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Will he show up for practice on time?
    Will he work on his game?

I don't trust him. Football is a team game. Trust is important. I don't want someone that could break the chemistry of the team.

2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Are you honestly suggesting that consistently finishing in the top 10 in scoring is somehow indicative of an ineffective offense?... And you're going to ignore that they were 5th last year until they had to start their third-string rookie QB? Not to mention, I’ve already provided a very viable reason for their scoring not being commiserate with the offensive statistics these past few years: defense.

Here is the Texans' averaging starting line of scrimmage the past three seasons:
    '09: 29.82 (NFL rank: 15th)
    '10: 25.57 (32nd)
    '11: 30.36 (4th)

(Note: '11 is the year the NFL moved the kick-offs up, so the #s look skewed - but the Texans' finishing 4th is indicative of a defense giving them *much* shorter fields in spite of the new kick-off rule.)

As I said in an earlier post: when you have a defense capable of stopping opponents, producing sacks, and/or forcing turnovers - which the Texans did last year for the first time in franchise history - it makes it much easier for the offenses to score because their field is shorter. Not a coincidence that, until Schaub got hurt, the Texans were a top 5 scoring team in 2011.

The offense is fine.

3. Nimo

Nimo Member

Of course he wants to play in Houston. He wants a job. Vince Young also wanted to play in Houston because he was getting desperate. As bad as Houston's WR core is, it's a lot better than some others in the league. Yet somehow this guy is still unemployed

4. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Speaking of humans, since 2008, the Texans
    top peformer at WR is STILL on the team
    top performer at TE is STILL on the team
    top performer at QB is STILL on the team

All skill positions. Add in the #2 WR is being counted on again this year.
    And those same players are STILL being counted on to lead them AGAIN this year.

I know you cant bring back guys like Andre Davis and Chris Brown and Chester Pitts. When Derrick Ward wasnt brought back, everyone knew the writing was on the wall that his days in the league was over. I'm familiar with player shelf life and usefulness. And rustiness and how jail terms affect that.

Well people are dumb :grin: Kevin Walter is okay. Bryant Johnson really is not.

Maybe this is the year Plaxico (if he even makes a team) falls off the cliff Derrick Mason style. But we know for sure that Bryant Johnson added nothing. Burress adds SOMETHING on the field whether its in the offensive scheme or not. But again half-full/half-empty. People will say Lestar Jean is them finding a possible "diamond in the rough". And I think its telling that a nobody like Lestar Jean is even IN the plans to begin with, it just shows thinness.

5. Shroopy2

You posted:
    Thats a comparison of Plaxico's production to Walter's production, and that its around the same level. Which of course means their stats are about the same.

I'll add this in finality:
    I didnt care much about Plaxico's jail record. Big whoop, whether its jail time for a momentarily stupid thing, or Magic Johnson not playing cuz of HIV, Or Michael Jordan's egotistical retirements and comebacks, as long as the talent to perform is there when they come back.

BUT - I've actually looked more into Plaxicos background. The excessive tardiness and skipping meetings. For some reason I didnt think on that much after the Steelers days. Thats the blemish right there.

Do not like that, so do not want. Yes thats an unprofessional distraction and probably why he doesnt have a job now. And rightfully so

6. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Hey Now.... Simple question. Yes or No. Can Plax help us?

7. Rocket_4_Life

Rocket_4_Life Member

Had him on my fantasy team last year. Let's just say he won't be returning.

8. HollaIFyaHEMI

HollaIFyaHEMI Contributing Member

So you are ready to eat your words right?

9. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

I have been reading articles about plaxico, and in february, he said he would love to play with the eagles:

Plaxico Burress, on possibly signing with the Eagles
    "Hey, man, nothing else would make me happier," said Burress, a guest on the "Brian Baldinger & Harry Mayes Show" on 97.5 The Fanatic ESPN Radio. Burress said he would add a "unique dynamic" to the Eagles' offense, joining a receiving corps that includes DeSean Jackson (a free agent) and Jeremy Maclin. Burress said he talks once or twice a week with Vick, and he believes it would be a "special deal" to team up with him because of their friendship and similar background.

"I really believe he can bring a championship to Philadelphia, and I'd love to be part of that," Burress said.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/sto...love-join-philadelphia-eagles-qb-michael-vick

Then in June he said he would love to play with the Panthers:

"My brother lives right there in Charlotte, my cousin lives there in Charlotte, and all my family is there in Columbia, South Carolina. It would just be a great situation all the way around and being close to everybody.

"Not just that, but playing with Cam, who I think is one of the top five quarterbacks in all of football, and as long as I can remember, Steve Smith has been one of my favorites. I just think it's a great situation."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8076883/plaxico-burress-wants-play-carolina-panthers-2012

And now he says he wants to play Houston.

So I only thinks he says this stuff, so a team notices him, and sign him.
    He doesnt really mean it.
    But none of those teams have called him.
    and the Jets are sucking now in the offensive side, why they dont re-sign Plaxico?

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

With a touch of tabasco and a Dos Equis, yes.

11. Hey Now!

Really?....

Those guys are 4, 4 and 5 years younger than Plaxico Burress and have been relevant since 2008.

12. Hey Now!

Help us do what? Win more? Score more? I don't think he moves the needle significantly on either, nor do I think the Texans need help with either. So, no.

As currently constructed, the Texans will win and score enough to be a top contender in the AFC. Do you disagree?

13. ubigred

Injuries.

It's better to be proactive than reactive.

14. Shroopy2

Agree to disagree. Yeah, really. I'm sure if Andre Johnson took 2 years away from football now and came back in 2015 that'd he'd be "irrelevant".

A slightly similar comparison, different positions but same AGE - Ricky Williams was elite for 2 years, very good the other years, missed 2 plus years of football for being mercurial. Ricky Williams could come back and contribute as much as Justin Forsett if he wanted. His years missed was at a younger age, but he wasnt relevant for quite some time himself.

When Plaxico 1st left the Giants 2008 , they were 8-1 at the time. Here's the records of Plaxico's teams
    9-7 / 13-3 / 10-5-1 / 6-10 /15-1/ 11-5 /8-8/ 10-6 (Super Bowl champs) / 8-1 / 8-8

Only 1 losing record. Now I know Andre Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald havent had many winning seasons and they are far better, younger players. But to say that Plaxico doesnt contribute to winning football or takes away from teams more than he gives back just isnt accurate. I don't like Plaxico or Ochocinco and diva players (In my youth I was once the heralded "willing downfield blocking wide receiver" on my teams). But I'm not gonna diminish contributions bases on lack of likeability. And stay married to "system over talent".

But anyway cuz the Keyshawn Martin, Lestar Jean crop is showing something now, screw Plaxico anyway lol. Just hope it continues into the regular season.

15. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

why Seattle signed T.O. instead of Plaxico? even when T.O. being 3 or 4 years older than Plaxico.

why the Jets, that havent scored a single TD in the preseason, and only have Santonio Holmes as a WR, havent re-signed Plaxico, if he did so good for them last year?

and why people saying the texans should sign Plaxico, just because he is better than Bryant Johnson, its looks like Bryant Johnson is not going to make the cut,

so yeah we should sign him because he is better than 7th receiver on the team.

16. ubigred

I am not to any position, except when it comes to Schaub and Kevin Walters. However, I have no rebuttal for why the Jets are not bringing Plax back.

17. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

what is your alternative to Schaub? you think he can't make the throws that an elite QB should make. so, how will Plax help if Schaub can't get him the ball?

18. Hey Now!

I'd rather they develop next-generation guys than hand their reps over to washed-up has-beens. As for injuries, Plaxico Burress doesn't move the needle. He doesn't replace Andre Johnson, in terms of production or impact.

19. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Really? Are people still arguing that the Texans should sign Plax?

Nevermind that the team is going to have to make a few tough decisions and cut one or two guys as is.

Seriously?

20. Hey Now!

You’ve taken a left turn here: What Plaxico Burress accomplished five years ago is irrelevant in terms of evaluating his current worth. I’m not the least bit concerned with his current relevance.

But your scenario does provide an opportunity to state definitively that, even in his long-gone prime, Plaxico Burress was half the WR Andre Johnson is - his best season would be a pedestrian season for Dre – and he’s currently not anywhere close to being in his league (both figuratively and literally).

Burress had a single terrific playoff run a looooooong time ago. Beyond that, his career label is “underachiever” and his current label is “washed-up.” This idea that he provides security in case Johnson can’t stay healthy is ridiculous. His provides roughly the same level of security that Jacoby Jones did.

You might as well post his preseason stats because I’d find them as meaningful as W/L record when evaluating a WR. That Plaxico has been fortunate enough to play for two well-run, historically successfully franchises a long time ago is, well… you probably saw this coming: irrelevant.

He was never great, he's currently not good, and the Texans have proven year after year after year that their offense is perfectly capable.