1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Planned Parenthood Director caught on tape selling aborted baby parts

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Commodore, Jul 14, 2015.

1. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

All the poster positions in CF seem hardened. That's okay. We are all entitled to our opinions.

What does intrigue me is that those posters who support abortion are almost uniformly opposed to capital punishment. Those who strongly support capital punishment generally are opposed to abortion. Why is that?

We slaughter innocent babies daily, but it takes more than 10 years to execute a convicted criminal. Shouldn't it be just the other way around?

Just asking.

#101 thumbs, Jul 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  2. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

I am against the death penalty, but probably not for the reasons you'd expect. I fully believe that violent criminals deserve to die, but I don't trust the state enough to give it that power. There is just too much built-in incompetence in the system to trust them with capital punishment.

I will also say that I think it's absurd to have the ability to be found 'not guilty' because of reasons of insanity. Shouldn't violent, insane people be the people we are most worried about?!? I think we should have another designation: guilty and insane.

3. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

being pro-choice and decrying heavy-handed government criminalization in social matters != supporting abortion. In fact, abortion rates for key demographics are at historic lows now.

Your general positions miss a lot of finer distinctions. I totally get why somebody against making women and medical providers criminals would want to avoid criminals getting killed by the state.

4. CCorn

CCorn Member

I am pro choice and pro death penalty. I'm also pro euthanasia.

5. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

I think I'm going to double down.

My dearly departed and religious grandmother, a lifelong Oiler season ticket owner and staunch Harris County GOP booster and former HW Bush secretary, used to volunteer at a Planned Parenthood.

She felt very strongly that it was hypocritical to tell people not to be a burden to society and take care of themselves and then essentially force or pressure them to have children they can't afford. She said anyone that didn't support reproductive rights wasn't a real conservative -- that being a conservative meant respecting people to make their own decisions and not forcing one's ideas on others.

It might come as a surprise to the speaking-in-tongues demographic, but people who support the right of women to have abortions and the use of fetal tissue to cure diseases and genetic disorders aren't confined to a lisping strawman cliche in a McGovern t-shirt. It likely includes people close to you that are too afraid to talk about it and their lack of conviction in other causes based on supernatural fears because you are so aggro about it.

1 person likes this.
  6. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

But the premise that started this thread in the first place, which besides being thoroughly debunked, is as sensational and dishonest as publishing a story portraying a community blood drive as an invasion by vampires.

In any case, I did my best to try to have a grown up conversation and not resort to ad hominem or snark but there's always someone that ruins it for everyone.

7. thumbs

I wasn't being snarky. It just seems more logical for those who support abortion to also support executing convicted felons while, on the other hand, those who support the death penalty should also support abortion, i.e. to show consistency in supporting life or death.

8. Nook

Nook Member

He was talking about the supposed Christian that called his mother a murderer.

9. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

How did your grandma feel about individual rights (what conservatives fight for)? She even recognizes it as a 'child' in your statement........

Your grandma should of tried looking at it from the soon-to-be-murdered child's view.

#109 tallanvor, Jul 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Your statement reflects why positions are hardened. You refer to them as "babies" when many on the other side don't consider them "babies."

The argument of abortion vs capital punishment to many isn't the killing of a person in two different circumstances but in the first case it isn't a person.

11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It sounds like your grandma was a smart lady. I've also been troubled by those who would preach about the sanctity of life and protecting innocent babies yet cut back programs and make it harder to bring those babies to term and make sure they can grow up with health care, good nutrition and education.

12. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

My grandmother was no enemy of capital punishment. I used to support it as well, as well as even less popular ideas, like euthanasia and private firearm ownership (which I prefer to think of as opposing the forced outsourcing of personal security -- which discriminates against the unprivledged). But while euthanasia and abortion are personal decisions, and like firearm ownership, pro-liberty positions, capital punishment reflects a belief in the state to be infallible in assessing guilt, which it clearly is not. It's also expensive -- much more so than incarceration, and that's besides the mishaps from flawed methods that don't kill quickly.

I'm against the death penalty precisely because I'm not a pacifist, call it the Johnny Cash position -- that sometimes courts can get it wrong when someone might very well have defended their lives or someone elses -- but been branded guilty because they were the wrong social class or color and prejudged. Rich people get charged manslaughter. The rest of us aren't always so lucky!

Israel has no capital punishment, and much shorter sentences in general, and yet doesn't have even close to the same violent crime the US does, so living there made me give up on arguments that it was at least valuable deterrent as well, and I can see why most societies gave it up over time.

13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I have no problems with the death penalty other than the fact that too many people are wrongly convicted due to our broken criminal system.

ElPigto likes this.
  14. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

It was at least to me, a consistent position and more in line with traditional conservatives, especially on the other side of the Atlantic. How she came to that conclusion, I'll never know, especially since she was very much partisan on other culture war issues of that period. But besides being extremely active in the GOP, she was very involved in a lot of charity work as well, particularly food banks and homeless shelters in Houston up until she died, which again she framed in a conservative perspective: "Why should we give more money to Washington to do the work in our communities we should do ourselves?"

I often disagreed with her politics, but I never considered her a hypocrite.

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The sale of human parts for profit is illegal. That is correct. That is also not what happened here. Notice that she has not been arrested or charged with a crime. Donating parts for research or to save lives is not illegal. Charging $30 to cover the cost of shipping is acceptable practice in the medical field.

That's great. I hope you enjoyed watching it.

16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

A lot of folks are making posts having never tasted fresh fetus tenderloin -- I would reserve judgement until you've had the experience.

ElPigto likes this.
  17. CCorn

CCorn Member

It's actually one of the casing at moon tower inn now.

ElPigto likes this.
  18. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

No, Planned Parenthood Isn’t Selling ‘Aborted Baby Parts’

A heavily edited video that claims Planned Parenthood is “selling aborted baby parts” is spurring a new round of controversy over the national women’s health group — leading at least two presidential candidates to call for an investigation into the organization.

The video, which has inspired some prominent conservatives to make direct comparisons between Planned Parenthood and ISIS, is the latest example of a coordinated effort to discredit the abortion provider by making inflammatory accusations about its services that are taken out of context.

In the video, Planned Parenthood’s senior director of medical services, Dr. Deborah Nucatola, is explaining how her organization handles tissue donation from aborted fetuses.

Although Nucatola thought she was speaking to buyers from a biological company, she was actually meeting with actors working for an organization called the Center for Medical Progress — which describes itself as a “group of citizen journalists dedicated to monitoring and reporting on medical ethics and advances” and has close ties to an infamous anti-abortion organization that works to discredit Planned Parenthood. Nucatola was unaware that she was being filmed.

The Center for Medical Progress says it has been investigating Planned Parenthood for nearly three years. David Daleiden, the media contact for the new investigative video project, used to work for Live Action News, the anti-choice group founded by Lila Rose that has pioneered sting operations at Planned Parenthood clinics for years. Live Action is notorious for releasing edited videos to mislead viewers about what Planned Parenthood employees are saying.

One of Live Action’s particular specialties is splicing together footage in a way that highlights abortion’s gory medical details. Of course, as with any other medical procedure, listening to doctors talk frankly about abortion can be gross. This is exactly what’s going on in the Center for Medical Progress’ new video; writing in Cosmopolitan, reporter Robin Marty described the video as “upsetting” and “off-putting,” particularly when Nucatola talks about the “menu” of fetal tissue and organs that patients may choose to donate.

Regardless of the potentially upsetting medical language, however, the Center for Medical Progress’ larger “findings” don’t hold up. Though the new investigation claims Planned Parenthood is profiting off the sale of fetal remains, Nucatola repeatedly emphasizes “tissue donation” and pushes back on the idea that her organization is selling anything. In the longer version of the raw video footage — which includes more than 150 additional minutes that didn’t make it into the final nine-minute version — there’s one instance when she says quite directly, “Nobody should be ‘selling’ tissue. That’s just not the goal here.”

On Tuesday, the Center for Medical Progress also published other documents that purportedly back up its claims, including a Planned Parenthood consent form for tissue donation. That form explains that “research using the blood from pregnant women and the tissue that has been aborted has been used to treat and find a cure for such diseases as diabetes, Parkinson’s disease, Alzheimer’s disease, cancer, and AIDS” — and makes it very clear that donation is optional.

Abortion opponents have long been wary of medical advances that rely on using material from fertilized eggs and fetuses. That’s what spurs the debate over embryonic stem cell research, which used to be a much bigger culture war issue before the discovery of alternative stem cell options. Nonetheless, no matter how squeamish Americans may feel by the idea of donating aborted fetuses, this type of fetal tissue donation and research is legal, and has been for decades.

Eric Ferrero, the vice president of communications for Planned Parenthood, has dismissed the new video as a misleading portrayal of human tissue donation from activists who hope to smear Planned Parenthood’s reputation.

“Patients sometimes want to donate tissue to scientific research that can help lead to medical breakthroughs, such as treatments and cures for serious diseases. Women at Planned Parenthood who have abortions are no different,” Ferrero said in a statement. “There is no financial benefit for tissue donation for either the patient or for Planned Parenthood. In some instances, actual costs, such as the cost to transport tissue to leading research centers, are reimbursed, which is standard across the medical field.”

That hasn’t stopped GOP presidential candidates from demanding action. On Tuesday, former Texas Gov. Rick Perry (R) called the video “disturbing” and claimed Planned Parenthood has a “penchant for profiting off the tragedy of a destroyed human life.” Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) called for Congress to launch an investigation into “Planned Parenthood’s activities regarding the sale and transfer of aborted body parts.” Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal (R), meanwhile, immediately launched a state-level investigation into the women’s health organization, which will prevent a new Planned Parenthood clinic from being able to open in New Orleans. Jindal has been working to block the construction of that facility for the past year.

The political response is reminiscent of the way that lawmakers handled the controversy over Dr. Kermit Gosnell, an illegal abortion provider who was arrested for preying on low-income women in his unsanitary clinic in Philadelphia. After horrifying details emerged about how Gosnell broke the law, Live Action released a misleading “investigation” claiming that legal abortion providers across the country were guilty of similar crimes. GOP lawmakers obliged by initiating an investigation into abortion clinics — which came up totally empty, finding evidence only that clinics are already highly regulated and quite safe.

19. thumbs

And how many times have those slaughtered babies not done anything wrong, yet they were executed anyway. There is no logic to those who are against capital punishment and for abortion.

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am 100% against slaughtering babies under any circumstance. I am for a woman's right to abort a fetus if she so chooses.