1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Planet with 2 suns discovered

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RocketsPimp, Sep 15, 2011.

1. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

They're talking about it right now on CNN

http://lightyears.blogs.cnn.com/201...first-direct-proof-of-2-sun-planet/?hpt=hp_t2

Luke Skywalker looks out over a desert dominated by two setting suns in an iconic scene from "Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope." But this isn’t just the stuff of fiction. Now, astronomers have confirmed the first direct evidence that planets with two suns do exist.

Scientists at NASA and the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence Institute [SETI] are informally calling the newly discovered world Tatooine, as homage to Skywalker's planet imagined by George Lucas.

The so-called circumbinary planet has been dubbed with an official name that's much less interesting: Kepler-16b.

Unlike the tagline of the Star Wars saga, Tatooine is not located in a "galaxy far, far away," it's right in our own backyard - relatively - about 200 light years from Earth in the constellation Cygnus. Getting to Tatooine aboard a spacecraft traveling at light speed - 186,282 miles per second - would take about two centuries. (The closest planet to earth is about 4 light years away.)

Using data from NASA's $600 million Kepler telescope now orbiting the sun, a team lead by SETI's Laurance Doyle detected the actual shadow of a planet as it crossed in front of its two suns - a scientific first. Before this discovery, astronomers could only infer that planets could circle two suns by looking at how the eclipses of those stars changed.

"When we first discovered it … I sent around a message, 'Hey, you know guys, we should ask George Lucas if we can nickname this guy Tatooine,'" said Doyle, a former protegé of famed astrophysicist Carl Sagan. "Suddenly and unexpectedly after years of looking for a circumbinary planet – we got a beauty."

The discovery opens up a whole new world of questions about the formation of planets, double-star systems and the way they work together.

A double sunset on the real Tatooine, Doyle said, would surpass even Lucas' imagination. For someone standing on the planet's surface, one of the suns would appear orange and the other red.

The suns also change positions and movement in relationship to each other. This means sunsets on Tatooine are like snowflakes: No two are ever the same. "Sometimes the red star would go down first, sometimes the orange star," said Doyle. "Sometimes they would be far apart, sometimes they would be eclipsed. So it's a really interesting sunset."

Inside the rooms of SETI and NASA, the word's been spreading fast. "Everybody's already referring to it in informal meetings," said Doyle. "'So, how's Tatooine going?' or referring to 'Tatooine's orbital period,' or whatever."

The idea that something that was science fiction in 1977 has been found in the real universe in 2011 could, Doyle hopes, inspire future scientists and astronauts.

But future space travelers may be disappointed to learn the real Tatooine probably isn't home to Skywalker or any other life form. Doyle is highly doubtful that the planet could support life as we know it due to its size and distance from its suns.

Here are a few other details about the planet nicknamed "Tatooine."

The planet could contain water in some form.
    It's possible the planet could have one or more moons. Doyle continues to search.
    Kepler-16b will be visible to amateur astronomers in June 2012.
    Kepler-16b is the best-measured planet outside our solar system.
    Its two suns go around each other every 41 days.
    The planet has two eclipses each month.
    Kepler-16b's "year" - the time it takes to go around its double suns - is 229 days.
    It's believed that double-star systems outnumber single-star systems.
    Doyle expects to find more circumbinary planets in the next month or two.
    Kepler-16's mysteries began to reveal themselves in March of this year, when Doyle and SETI colleague Bob Slawson found the first clues while working at SETI facilities in Mountain View, California. Further investigation showed the system contained two small stars and later, a planet circling the stars.

"It was really quite a team effort," said Doyle. "Dan Fabrycky, atUniversityofCalifornia,Santa Cruz, did gravitational confirmation calculations.” I asked him, 'So, what did you get?' He said, '99.99%, it's a planet.'" Then after a few additional confirmations from other team members including Harvard-based Josh Carter, "we were like, that's it guys. We nailed it. That's the moment we nailed it."

The discovery reminds Doyle of the work he did with Sagan at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in the 1970s and ’80s, analyzing data from the Voyager 1 and 2 probes to Jupiter and Saturn. Sagan took Doyle under his wing, encouraging him to pursue his doctoral dissertation based on Voyager's data about Saturn's mysterious rings.

Sagan, who died in 1996, would have celebrated this new discovery, Doyle suspects. "Being Carl, I think he might have used the term 'elegant.' A whole new kind of anything (in this case a planetary system) is what Carl just loved."

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

do i even need to say it?

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I'll tort your ass.

4. MadMax

i like this...but there's really only two comments appropriate for a planet with 2 suns:

1. that's no moon; and

2. pretty much everywhere, it's gonna be hot.

2 people like this.
  5. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

©ima_drummer2K, INC. All rights reserved. :eek:

6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

7. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Who the **** cares!!!!.... This isnt news.... How is this helpful??...If there is life out yonder , we're gonna need one hell of a satellite dish to communicate....

8. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

I was thinking:

[​IMG]

9. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/940rzFtFNbs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

err ... no.

11. MadMax

I'd like to amend potential responses to include:

"then I won't need this jacket."

12. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:confused:

13. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Oh really.........I'm no astronomer, but I'm pretty sure we have quite a few planets closer than that.

14. MadMax

"what are you, a lawyer?"

[​IMG]

15. codell

codell Contributing Member

Big mistake. Like Uncle George isn't going to find a way to make money off of this.

16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

just power up the ftl drive and we can be there lickety split!

17. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

Lets turn Jupiter into another Sun and we too will have 2 Suns.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I thought Mars was the closest planet to Earth? Who knew it was 4 light years away...

;)

DD

19. rage

rage Member

That isn't even right. It's Venus.

20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

He, himself, is not Asian so come at me bro.