1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Planescape: Torment

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Vengeance, Feb 26, 2001.

1. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

Just wondering if any BBS-ers out there have played this game.

All I can say is WOW -- I really liked "American McGee's Alice", but this beats it hands down. Graphics were very pretty for an older top-down RPG, and the spell-effects were really cool. Character development was very neat, and the range of NPCs and PCs was amazing. It had amazing dialogue and an excellent range of options. But one thing sets this game above every other RPG I've ever played -- THE STORY!!! HOLY COW, this is perhaps the most compelling story I've ever seen in a game . . . it's on par with the story of Deus Ex and may even be better than System Shock's. It just totally blew me away.

It's funny, I picked this game up in a combo pack with "Thief" because I hadn't played it yet. When I saw that Planescape came with it, I was very excited, as this game got some of the highest reviews I've ever seen. Well, it's about a month later, and I've only played one level of Thief, but I've played Planescape once and I just can't get the story out of my head. It was just awesome!

Has anyone here played this game?

------------------
    What can change the nature of a man?

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I have PST. Had it for months, but never got the chance to play it. All of Black Isle's games are great. PST was often voted among the best RPG's ever created.

Have you tried Baldur's Gate I & II? Awesome games. Over 100 hours of gameplay easily. The depth and scope of play is simply incredible.

I may finally install PST and finish it... it's a bit different in theme from the BG series, from what I understand.

------------------
    "Ive seen more class at a Pig Humpin Contest ." -- moestavern19 makes headlines again, and in the process leaves little doubt as to what Saturday nights in his hometown of Lompoc, California are like.

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I loved FOF, but never bought FOF2. Is it worth it? IWD was ok, but I didn't like it for the same reason you didn't. It was also too dang linear. You could get lost for hours in BG2. Nothing out there can approach it in terms of a "true" RPG element.

------------------
    "Ive seen more class at a Pig Humpin Contest ." -- moestavern19 makes headlines again, and in the process leaves little doubt as to what Saturday nights in his hometown of Lompoc, California are like.

4. Vengeance

I played BG 1 and while it was good, it got kindof tedious. I didn't think the story was really that engrossing either. It was still a really cool game, it just wasn't even near PT.

At some point I'll play BG 2, but I still have my doubts. I REALLY loved the Planescape multiverse, and the story was so good, I feel like playing the game again, just to go through the storyline once more.

------------------

5. dylan

dylan Contributing Member

PST is a great great game. Never played BG I or II, now IWD. The best RPG ever, however, is really old school. A game called Wasteland came out in, oh, maybe 1989 or so. I remember we upgraded from a EGA card to a VGA card while we had the game. [​IMG] Anyway it was a tremendous role playing experience and the first CRPG to have a skill point system. Fallout was sort of a quasi-sequel to it. Any other old school gamers remember playing Wasteland?

dylan

------------------

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I never played Wasteland, but I've heard of it... if you're gonna go back that far, then I'll have to come out with the Ultima series... now that's some nice RPG'ing. Especially from about Ultima 4 to 7. I played versions 5 - 9. I tried playing 9, but it was so buggy, I gave up. What a way for Garriott to leave Origin... [​IMG]

------------------

7. haven

haven Member

DoD: There are actually 3 front office footballs. The 2nd one was by far the best, which was the one that came out for Rickey Williams rookie year. EA tried to jazz up the 3rd one and pretty much screwed it up. Don't buy it. I did, and returned to the prior version.

My 5 favorite RPG's:

1. BG2
    2. Darklands - came out in the early-mid 90s, midieval germany
    3. Torment
    4. Ultima 7pt2
    5. the original Final Fantasy... thought they got a little cheesey and fmv oriented later on, although I still wind up getting them eventually [​IMG].

BTW, did any of you ever play something called Legend of the Red Dragon, or L.O.R.D back in the days of the dial-up BBS before the internet was everywhere? Just text based, but it was the first real multiplayer out there, and you got to develop a character, kill other characters, monsters, and even sleep with other PCs.

------------------
    Why is it that everytime BC defeats a major conference opponent, that opponent promptly goes on a losing streak?

PS. Notre Dame sucks

[This message has been edited by haven (edited February 26, 2001).]

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

haven,

There's a thread about old bbs' from a few days ago where we talk about those games. I used to play L.O.R.D., BRE, Tradewars, etc. Blast from the past...

------------------
    "There is a long-term study being done of women and their menstrual cycles and preliminary findings show that women in the US have had their puberty move from beginning around 15 or 16 in the 1960's to around 11 or 12 today as compared with women in China who still reach puberty around 15 or 16." -- Jeff Balke has nothing left to save (including his mind apparently) and has decided to become the Cliff Claven of the board. Go on with yer bad self, Jeff!

9. Vengeance

Man, I played the hell out of LORD. One of the first online RPGs [​IMG] That was one of the coolest games I've ever played. Once, I was able to marry Violet the Barmaid. I think she left me later on though -- I don't recall why. Hehe, turns out she's bi also [​IMG] (played as a female warrior once)

I'm still in awe over PT. . . how good is BG2? I wasn't overly wowed by the story in BG 1, or the long expanses of forest you'd consistently have to traverse. I'm interested in my next game, and I'd like to do another RPG.

------------------

10. haven

haven Member

Torment was good, BGII was better. Didn't like Icewind Dale that much-too much hack n slash.

Things I'm looking forward to: Black & White (late march) and Front Office Football: The College Years (late April).

------------------
    Why is it that everytime BC defeats a major conference opponent, that opponent promptly goes on a losing streak?

PS. Notre Dame sucks

11. haven

haven Member

Vengeance: All of those forest places are gone. The game is 4 discs instead of 5, but there's more in the game. They cut the travelling down, added a terrific (but still mostly linear) plot, and put some romance possibilities inside. There are fewer characters, but there much better developed, and you get the feeling that you're in a WORLD, as opposed to a map, if you know what I mean.

------------------

PS. Notre Dame sucks

12. Vengeance

Maybe I should try fallout again . . . I tried to play that game about 4 times, but I got bored very quickly. I LOVED the demo though.

Is BG2's story as good as PT's? I absolutely loved the story in Torment, and its giant scope, and lasting impression left me floored.

------------------

13. Hydra

Hydra Member

Torment is definitly an awesome game. Some other good ones from Interplay are Fallout 1 & 2. Post apocolyptic role playing with great opportunity for character development. In Fallout two you can even become a p*rn star.

------------------
    Don't come in Bullard's house!