1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

PJ Tucker, the KEY to a 2018 Title

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 13 in 33, Oct 10, 2017.

1. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

PJ's consistent defense is refreshing. I understand that Ryno provides superior spacing as he can pull a defender three feet beyond the arch, but I prefer a PF that can do the dirty work and not get abused. Hopefully, Ryno can thrive off the bench when he returns and take advantage against second units.

2. shtinkee

shtinkee Member

You're certainly right about that, but why wouldn't they jigger the TV schedule after the fact? Are the to-be-televised games set in stone at the beginning of the season? That's pretty short-sighted.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

pretty sure its not that simple when dealing with it on that end. its not really a big deal to me.

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Anderson actually is not a total zero on defense. I know it is fashionable to diss his defense, which is not exactly great. But he hustles and has the size. As I watched the Thunder game, I realized that we had no one who could handle a strong guy like Adams. Capela is too weak. Tucker is too short. Nene can only play limited minutes. Luckily OKC was too dumb to fully exploit that advantage. I was thinking Anderson would have provided a big body to guard the inside.

Good thing the Warriors don't have a bruising big man.

5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

THICC Key!

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Anderson is not a "total zero." The issue is that in a specific playoff series (most likely candidate: Warriors), the opponent can put out a lineup that has five guys that 1) makes Anderson struggle and 2) cannot take advantage of on the other side enough to justify the defense cost. It's not an issue against all teams, but if the Rockets want to win the title, they are gonna have to be prepared to face at least one such team.

Also, even if Anderson can do just fine, the Rockets have guys who are proven plus defenders (and better perimeter defenders) on the roster, and may just choose to put out a defense-heavy lineup.

When the Warriors run their pick and roll, for example, they may try to exploit Anderson by using his man to set the pick. Here, we might just want to have Luc out there instead to switch onto Curry.

7. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Anyone else see Harden's Instagram story on Tucker's burger after the OKC game? It was covered in a pile of Mayonnaise and Ketchup, then someone comes over his shoulders and grabs at PJ's gut.

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I've pointed out that GS doesn't have an inside presence. So Tucker or Moute would probably better. But we are likely going to face teams like OKC or Spurs or even Portland in the first two rounds. We need stronger inside defense. Tucker is no Chuck Hayes. As thick as he is, he still can't guard the low post.

It's all about match up.

9. Reeko

Reeko Member

also, this is his 3 point shooting percentage the past 3 months

February: 40%
    March: 43.8%
    April: 36.8%

he will be huge for us in the playoffs

CP3
    Harden
    Ego
    Ariza/Moute