1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pitching - Are we concerned?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by cwebbster, Apr 11, 2016.

1. conquistador#11

believing they're own hype does not apply to this baseball team. the effort is there, the top of our lineup is one of the best.

2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Of all of the struggles early in the year, none of them really changed my outlook on the team until last night. Here in the early going Keuchel's arm just doesn't seem to be rebounding from his heavy workload last year. His velocity is down a little, which doesn't concern me all that much. But his control has been sketchy from the start, and he can't survive without excellent control.

Ultimately it's only 2 bad starts, so not panicking yet. But if Dallas Keuchel isn't a really good pitcher that's a game changer, and a major move will have to be made. Plus I could see that being the impetus for Musgrove getting the call becuase a frontline starter will become a priority. None of the current guys have that potential aside from LMJ, who can't get on the field himself.

3. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

It "should" be one of the best

But some of Altuves great play is negated by all of his stupid base running

And Correa is a superstar in the making, but he has been bad in the field and merely a bit above average at the plate

Those two and Keuchel being on top of their game would solve quite a few problems

4. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

To do list:

1. Get Devenski in the rotation. He's earned it. - CHECK

2. Get Musgrove up. He's ready.

3. Get LMJ healthy.

4. Consider giving Tommy Shirley a chance, he's pitching well.

5. Fister/Fiers/McHugh/Feldman need to sit to give others opportunities. Or at least until they work out what's troubling them. Batters are hitting almost .400 against McHugh!

5. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Is this team any good? What happen last year????

For me last year we had a good 1 1/2 month, then we became average or below average. We won a game in NY with K, and remember, Yankees struggle vs left handed pitching, and had a good series with KC, BUT LOST.

Why i did not like our offseason. We had weakness that we all knew existed.
    We have a catcher that is very bad offensively, we had holes at 1b and 3b, a DH that was below average last year, and a rotation of many number 4-5 pitchers. A manager with a laissez- fair kind of attitude with a group of player that are not very smart on the bases.

I will never approve the trade for Giles, even if this guy becomes our closer, because i don't believe on trading starting pitching for a reliever. I am on record saying i like VV and Appel a lot, and they have GREAT STUFF.
    The only problem with VV is health, but a healthy VV will always be better than Giles. If we wanted a set up man, and we had a rotation of 5 and VV was not one, then he has the stuff to be that set up man, like Osuna did in Toronto. Then we can move him back to the rotation when needed.

But, I would love to have this rotation:

1. K
    2. McCullers
    3. VV
    4. McHugh
    5. Fiers

But, is not going to happen. And i still believe Appel will become a very good number 3 pitcher in the majors.

Now, what can we do this season? I don't think we are going to win so we should try this:

1. Trade Gomez, and give the job to Marisnick
    2. Give a real shot to Devenski to pitch in the rotation
    3. Have Gattis catch so next year he would be our number 1 catcher, giving us 100 games behind the plate.
    4. Trade Valbuena and give the position to Moran later on the year so we don't lose 1 year of eligibility.
    5. Bring AJ Reed middle of the year so we don't lose 1 year of eligibility.
    6. Bring Hoyt to the majors
    7. Use Feliz as your 7th inning guy, lets try it. (That way we could have a bullpen in the future of Giles, Feliz, Hoyt, all power guys).
    8. Some time in the year, lets see what Peacock can do and give the guy 3 starts.
    9. jon singleton, we need to give him at bats in the majors and see what he can do, if he hits, TRADE HIM.
    10. Now that we are losing so much, play White no matter what.

6. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">McCullers threw 4.2 ip (62 pitches, simulated game). Hinch said it was his best day to date for Lance. Will pitch for Fresno this weekend.</p>&mdash; Adam Wexler (@awexlerKPRC) <a href="https://twitter.com/awexlerKPRC/status/727241193369788419">May 2, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

7. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

awesome update. we're all ready for it

8. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>AJ Hinch: Devenski will start Thurs, followed by Fister.Devenski worked well out of the bullpen and earned 1st start on the trip. <a class="hashtag" action="hash" title="#Astros">#Astros</a></p>&mdash; Angel Verdejo Jr. (@ahverdejo) <a href="https://twitter.com/ahverdejo/status/727243484248186880" data-datetime="2016-05-02T21:08:52+00:00">May 2, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

9. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

How do you reckon #s 5 & 9 with the bolded part of #10. They can only bat nine each night...

10. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I'd guess the same way he justifies the thousands of other examples of him contradicting his own posts. I'm not sure what that is, though.

11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Back to back solid starts for Fiers and Fister. More importantly for Fister there was a significant uptick in velocity in the game Sunday, we'll see if he can maintain it or if was just a one start jump.

12. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

18.2 IP with 5 ERs in the last three starts with Keuchel tonight? This thread is hopefully getting a much needed 4 day rest.

13. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Until Reed is up, white plays no matter what. If he does not hit, then you have singleton and Reed.

14. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

But in the game thread you're happy that Marwin is playing instead of White. :confused:

15. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Yesssss because I want to win, but once the team decides we are not going anywhere, then is time to watch the young guys develop in the majors. Now, Reed and Moran stay in the. Units until they don't lose 1 year of eligibility.

Guys is not that hard, if we think we have a chance to make a run, play ten good guys, if we are going to continue to play like we have for a long time now, then young guys, including Feliz who is seldomly used.

16. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Agreed, pitching isn't the biggest problem to me. Situational hitting is.

17. Nook

Nook Member

"They are the worst team in the American League. Dead last in run differential. You don't win with soft tossers in this game. The Astros rotation isn't good. Their pen isn't good either. Giles is garbage." - Jeff Passan

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

So, they somehow faked being the league leaders in ERA last year?

Is LMJ that meaningful? Guess so.

19. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I'm amazed at what's happened to Keuchel. He's aiming which is the worst thing a pitcher like him can do. He's not finishing his pitches either. Something ain't right with that boy. Way too much in the zone and batters are taking a much more patient approach with him. That 4th inning was just painful to watch.

20. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

He's reminding me of where he was 3 years ago. He would look good, and then fall apart the next time through the order. I've always felt the way teams should attack him is to be patient, as he throws a lot of pitches just outside the zone.

Hopefully it is just a bad stretch. David Price has an ERA over 6. Zach Greinke is at 5.50. Chris Archer is at 5.01. Shleby Miller (not that he is in the same class) is at 8.49. I don't know I can recall when so many pitchers good pitchers all got of to such bad starts.