1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pistons waive Josh Smith

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clutch, Dec 22, 2014.

1. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

how is it that teams like the Clippers can just sign everyone but every time we are trying to get someone there is always a roadblock

2. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

Smith would have to agree to take less money

3. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

Josh Smith obviously won't be a "third star" type, but would give use much needed depth in the front court. Plus, him and Dwight are buds.

4. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

What do you mean? I'm sure everyone will only offer the minimum. We still have the bi-annual exception which is worth $2M i think.

5. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Detroit has to cover the difference no matter what, right? I mean at the end of the day he's still guaranteed 13 some odd million.

6. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Morey has to be making calls! Woe this is crazy!

7. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

BAE is 1.672, which would be more than a vet min.

8. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

This

He can choose whoever the *** he wants but those other teams aren't that much better than the Rockets+a little more money.

If morey wants him and the fact that he is friends with Dwight, i don't see how he doesnt end up here.

9. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Houston has advantage on most Josh Smith suitors, who only have minimum slots available: Rockets can offer Smith its bi-annual exception.</p>&mdash; Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/547094410467770370">December 22, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

10. The Rock MVP

The Rock MVP Member

I get some of you guys not wanting him for his terrible shooting and chemistry with our team, but I swear to god... if I see any of you people saying he is terrible and to "stay away" complaining about Dallas getting him.... I will immortalize you in my signature and bring it up every time I see one of your posts even if the topic is unrelated.

DO NOT BE A HYPOCRIT!

11. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Cut Black (sign to Rio Grande) or Dorsey (return to Euroleague, forever). Sign Smith with bi-annual.

Bench:
    Terry / Canaan
    Brewer
    Pap
    Jones
    Smith

Smith could also be signed and used as a piece for a future trade! PHE needs a big man and Smith would be a great addition for their running style.

12. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Smith gives this team another shot blocker and can play 3/4/5. This can be a huge signing.

13. Dream lover

Dream lover Member

Smith was playing small forward in Detroit most of the time and he is better around the basket. Plus are you saying you think Dorsey and or Black is a better player than him? It doesn't look like we are getting jones back anytime soon and we need help beyond Dmo and Howard.

14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Houston has advantage on most Josh Smith suitors, who only have minimum slots available: Rockets can offer Smith its bi-annual exception.</p>&mdash; Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/547094410467770370">December 22, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

15. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Morey, call JVG to get the real deal on what happened and decide appropriately.

16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I'm hesitant on Smith... EXCEPT there are fewer bad fits for him around the league then the Pistons, and he'd be super cheap.

If you are betting on much better play on a better team, coming off the bench, with a better fit, at PF... than it's not a bad bet.

You'd just of course hope he really buys into the rim and 3 mentality, except without the 3!

17. soupman

soupman Member

Can you imagine Josh Smith on this team, where we actually discourage the mid-range shot? His defense would be stellar but he would have a terrible FG% given his propensity to miss threes in volume.

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Not sure if he is a cancer. But the combined fg% of Smith and Rondo would be fun to see.

19. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

Why is anyone not on-board the Josh Smith Train??? He won't cost much cap space, no long term cap holds, he is better than Black and Dorsey, and TJones is still hurt. I get that he sucks at shooting and FTs...but doesn't Black and Dorsey suck just as bad? Smith is way more athletic than any PF or C we have besides DH12. We literally lost in the first round of the playoffs last year...this would be a HUGE upgrade. Would you rather have D-Mo guarding Blake Griffin, or Josh Smith? How about Zach Randolph, or LMA? If you think we can really win the West with D-Mo, Jones, Black, and Dorsey...then you are crazy. I'm not saying we win the West with Josh Smith, but you have to at least try.

20. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Lol, word.

Also, as a degenerate gambler, I actually watch a lot of Detroit Pistons basketball, fml. Specifically betting on Josh Smith prop bets has been +EV this year, especially since SVG has been cutting his minutes each week. This release wasn't shocking.

IMO, just from someone who's watched about 10 Pistons games this year, he's still athletic as hell and actually cares. He's just dumb on the court. He loses his guy defensively a lot, and then puts his hands on his head, like he's truly upset that he messed up....but he always messes up. I kind of feel bad for him, as much as one can feel bad for somebody on a $40M or whatever it is guaranteed contract. Oh, and he takes bad shots out of the offense. That's probably his biggest problem from a team standpoint. His fast breaking and athleticism is a plus. His iso fadeaways are just awful.

See above. I agree that he still has the talent to help a team, but he actually hurts his team a lot of the time. He's just not the brightest basketball player. It's up to management to decide if it's a net gain and worth the risk.