1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pistons Possibly Trying To Land T-MAC for Billups and T-Prince

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by fbagulbagul, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

The reason i trade TMAC: I don't like his game, he doesn't have the scoring mentality and is willing defer to others to help. For example, if you watch Pierce and Kobe, those players are willing to drive to the basket and try to draw fouls and get to the line. Tmac only does it if he WANTS TO!! He likes to take jump shot and live by it. And if they're not falling, he likes to pass to his teammates. The worst thing is that he's not a consistent shooter...he's a streak shooter and he not a great free throw shooter either.

You give me Billup and Prince and got yourself some reliable scorers and consistent at the line. Ones that aren't afraid to attack the basket like Rafer.

2. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

What? Why do you say that? How can anyone not like Yao?

3. Illmatic

Illmatic Member

Also, as much as i would pull the trigger on this trade, there are few things to consider.

Billups is not a really a playmaker, if you have watched a pistons game, you would notice everyone on that team creates plays for the next player. Billups is more of a scorer than a playmaking pg. Obviously we need his scoring but who will throw the ball down to Yao cos unlike Rafer, Billups is not a spot up shooter. Since he can create his own shots he will be looking to create his shots half of the time.

Do not underestimate what T-Mac brings to this team, the T-Macs in this league are not a dime a dozen. JR smith in the words of good old stevie franchise can not hold TMac's jockstraps. And you can't be guaranteed that the next sg will immediately bond well with Yao and the team.

Also, the pistons play scrappy ball, and Yao, Battier and the rest of the remaining guys on the team play a more finesse scary cat ball. So it remains to be seen how they will mesh with the rockets teams.

Finally, Morey said and I believ our biggest problems were a bigger and efficient sg, upgrading the bench and a pg---- al in that order. Pulling this trade solves the 3rd problem on the list, and doubles the the # 1 problem while not changing the bench.

But i would still pull the plug on this trade but there are some negatives to consider because it might not be possible to fix these negatives through the free agent market

4. sTeKcOr22

sTeKcOr22 Member

:confused:

You have no idea what your talking about.

5. dexkk

dexkk Member

Most people have no idea what they're talking about.

6. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

since you asked, the next move or two i would look to make (after the detroit trade, and my shane/barbosa swap) would be:

brooks/head/steve ---> salmons

the kings were and still are very high on brooks (they thought about taking him #10 last summer but decided it wasn't getting enough value for the pick.

then move jackson's ending deal with hayes to the blazers for pryzbilla and a filler like mcroberts.

that way you have:

yao-pryzbilla-deke
    scola-landry-mcroberts
    prince-novak-harris
    barbosa-salmons
    billups-rafer

all trades combined save $1.3 mil. enough to sign our first round pick without going over the LT.

7. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

For various reasons, you can't divulge much of the details on the discussions that the Rockets have been having, so there is a Void on actual information in regards to their goals & intentions. That leads to Trade threads like this that are fueled by speculation & opinion.

Many people are used to coming to this BBS on a regular basis to read & post. They will engage in rational discussions if the concept is remotely feasible. Similar in concept to people sitting around a Diner everyday to discuss Something because they have been doing it for years.

Until there is something more substantial (read: verified - validated) to discuss, then these type of threads will continue.

8. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed -- I think it depends on what you could do with the rest of the roster. Though, Josh Smith is more of a 3/4, and I happen to think Outlaw is overrated. If you could turn around and swap Battier for say, Corey Maggette would you do it? I wouldn't be surprised if Milwaukee would do a Battier+Jackson for Michael Redd's 3 years and 51 million remaining.

Prince and Battier are virtually clones, except Prince gets you about 4 more points a game. That gets him 3-4 million per year more than Battier.

I would be a little worried about Tayshaun Prince's perimeter shooting. Like it or not, any team with a big man as dominant as Yao is going to take a lot of 3s. We've all seen Tayshaun hit some big 3 pointers in the past, but statistically speaking, he's always been an above average, but not great 3 point shooter, and he's never done it on a lot of volume. Battier made nearly 3x as many 3's as Prince did this past year. I think he'd be ok -- it's not like when Francis had to adjust to becoming a spot up shooter from an off the dribble guy, but it's still something to think about.

It's a pretty interesting thought, especially in terms of mimicking Boston's "Big Three". Yao would be a clear 1, Billups could be 2, but I don't think Prince qualifies as a 3. Is that any different than Yao/TMac 1/2, and Battier/Scola not exactly being a #3?

9. rterry

rterry Contributing Member

If this was really offered Morey would be an idiot to turn it down. 2 starters for 2/3 of a superstar is a great offer. Yeah, I said it. McGrady ain't a superstar. He is injury prone, he is a TERRIBLE 3 pt shooter that won't stop taking it and his defense has declined the last couple of years. Billups is a championship caliber point guard which this team sorely needs. Prince is an excellent SF with an all around game better than Shane.

We can package Shane with our draft pick and expirings to feel the void at SG. If we can get a viable Swing we will have depth at SF and SG, because Prince can play SG in certain matchups.

We get younger, deeper, and heathier in this trade scenario. Hoping for the miracle of T-Mac and Yao staying healthy and filling out our hole at backup SG with our limited trade prospects is idiocy.

10. supafrumpy

supafrumpy Contributing Member

no way I do this If I'm detroit. But I'm all for it as a rockets fan.

11. sTeKcOr22

sTeKcOr22 Member

It is idiocy that you think Battier can be traded for a quality SG.

12. Illmatic

Illmatic Member

U honestly believe this is a championship contender in the West

You would honestly trade 3 people for Salmons, sorry, but ummm, no normal player deserves to be traded for 3 people (no matter how wack you might think they are), especially when you just said yourself that the Blazers are high on Brooks.

What makes you think Suns will do the Battier swap when they are looking to shed salary cap by using barbosa or diaw for draft picks.

Your bench would be run off the court at a local YMCA

And as for your starting lineup.
    You lack a playmaker, Billups and Barbosa are more of a shooting pg than passers and always look to score, so how will Yao, Scola and Prince get their shots.

You also wanna put a streaky shooter (barbosa) who likes fast paced games with 2 scrappy hardnosed players (billups and prince) and 2 soft big game who are usually who are not that quick on their feet.

That being said, i think my friend that you just proposed a recipe for disaster

13. rterry

You may be right about that. I would still make the trade and hope that we could package our expirings and Battier or draft picks at the trade deadline for a legit SG. I also don't believe that Scola should be off-limits trade wise, but it would have to be an all-star shooting guard if he was involved.

14. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

Yao aint no suprstar either then. He misses HALF the seasons and playoffs. He is suspect down the stretch of close games (turning the ball over) and is not a great rebounder at 7'6. So why not trade him for Bosh or Stoudamire?

All these trades being proposed is "idiocy". It would be easier to fill our holes at backup SG/SF and backup C or PG. We have draft picks and expiring contracts we can use. We don't need to mess with our good chemistry by bringing in 3 new starters. We just need two good role players and some health.

15. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I don't have a problem with the thread -- it's actually a great discussion -- but the title is misleading. "Pistons Possibly Trying To Land T-MAC for Billups and T-Prince" ... that's stretching it. And it just needs to be clear to everyone that even though there have been something like 4 articles mentioning T-Mac to Detroit, all have been pure speculation.

Without making that clear every once in a while, some will take the number of times it's been mentioned and assume it's an actual discussion taking place.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I would start
    Mutombo
    Hayes
    Prince
    Battier
    Billups

And tell the opposing team and fans of faced pace ball to gig themselves

JK

17. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Fair question :) Personally I'd like to know why T-Mac's shooting percentages in the final 25 games or so rivaled Adam Everett's batting average. If it was the elbow and they feel confident of that, I don't know if I'd make the trade. I don't think I would. Without a clear answer to that issue, I'd make this trade (assuming Billups is in good health). As talented as T-Mac is, you're not going to go anywhere with him shooting that poorly and that many shots. I'm concerned he showed real signs of decline... hopefully though it's just the elbow. His final two games in the Utah series didn't make me forget the others.

18. rterry

Who said I wouldn't trade Yao. I just don't think Alexander would. Too much marketing power there. I am of the opinion that no-one should ever be untouchable. A good GM should always be open to listening to trade offers. I actually think Yao is going to be more injury prone than McGrady so if I was GM I would definately listen to offers for him. That being said, I don't think Morey will trade T-Mac either.

You are wrong about it being easy to fill up our holes at backup SG, PG, and Center. We have virtually no trade chips outside of our core players. Nobody is thirsting over our trash or our expirings until maybe the trade deadline. Even then we will probably not have enough to get an elite 3rd scorer. Other teams have more to offer.

Without trading T-Mac or Yao, we just have to hope for a miracle and they both stay health and somehow Morey pulls off a miracle draft.

19. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

I'd do that trade in a heartbeat. I'm pretty sure Detroit wouldn't be willing to though.

As for whether or not everybody gets along playing on the same team night in and night out will do wonders. And I personally haven't heard one thing or another about their opinion of Yao.

20. Pete the Cheat

you can say that again...
    [​IMG]