1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pistons Possibly Trying To Land T-MAC for Billups and T-Prince

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by fbagulbagul, Jun 18, 2008.

1. radapharoah

radapharoah Rookie

I think from detroit's perspective they see what the C's did with KG and they feel like T-mac is capable of similar things. You put stucky hamilton mac and sheed, antonio, maxiell together and you feel like you can do the same.

2. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Billups is coming off of a career year last year, was a much better player than T-Mac last year, and he shows know signs of declining (PG's of his mold tend to age well). We get Prince on top of that? Are you kidding me? Take it Morey, take it.

3. tharges

tharges Member

Agreed he needs discipline, look who is coach is. He needs some guidence but man what talent. Plus lets be realistic we are not going to get the Redds and the Artest without having to give up T-mac. Why not stick it out one more year tweak the starting line up a little and find a rotation of players that work consistenly. Re-build the bench with good role players? Make decisions on Novak, Brooks, Head, Woods, & B-Jax. Plus we hear all of this stuff about Billups being the PG we need, thats fine but you only hear Mcgrady going back the other way what are we going to do with Rafer, Brooks, B-Jax, Head, & Francis?

4. WNBA

WNBA Member

a pretty strong reasoning why Morey needs to take this deal..

5. Pete the Cheat

you have to pull the trigger on this if dumars calls. both these guys have championship experience and step up in pressure situations.

billups
    old/injured
    if you are going to play the old/injured card for billups, just look at who we are trading him for...t-mac. enough said.
    contract
    in reality billups contract is pretty manageable. his last guaranteed year tops off at 13.5M. t-mac makes almost double that now.

keep i mind we still have prince locked in long term. and now have the luxury of bringing in rafer off the bench or packaging him for an upgrade at guard.

I am all over this

6. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I would ask for Rip hamilton instead of prince. We lose too much scoring losing tmac.

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I don't see the trade happening as proposed. TMac is a go-to guy, yes, something the Pistons won a title without 4 years ago but desperately need now; but I would guess you'd have more involved. Rafer, maybe, to split duties at the PG for Detroit, with us getting in return....whatever. Dice?

I don't know how much of these Detroit rumors are media speculation. The two teams do make natural trading partners, though, and if we had Prince and Battier (assuming we keep him) to defend the 2/3 spots....dayumn, sign me up.

8. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i would do this trade, then follow it up with:

shane ---> barbosa

yao
    scola
    prince
    barbosa
    billups

with one more trade to clear up the logjam in the backcourt the roster would be balanced.

9. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

I can all but guarantee that ain't happening. The Rockets might be able to get Hamilton and Prince, but no way Hamilton and Billups.

10. Illmatic

Illmatic Member

your starting 5 is good, but what off your bench, its still gonna be the same crappy bench from this year. Our bench needs a bigger shakeup than our starting 5 except maybe for pg

11. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

Is Tmac+Batter+future first for Billups+Rip+Prince a pipe dream?

Pugs

Edit: If it works money wise....too lazy to check right now.

12. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

This is probably the first deal thrown out by the media that is actually fair, a far cry from that Ben Wallace and Ben Gordon nonsense regurgitated a few weeks back.

Pulling the trigger on this deal would be dependent upon what the market is for Battier and Bobby Jackson. If you could land a legit shooting guard, it's tempting. That enables you to put 5 offensive weapons together in the starting lineup without sacrificing Battier's defense (Prince is Battier minus the offensive ineptitude).

I would do this deal if you were able to turn around and trade for someone in the category of a Jason Richardson - an electrifying young perimeter player who is not quite an All-Star, but could be. Someone like a Josh Smith or maybe Travis Outlaw.

It would be interesting, I think.

13. GotGame15

GotGame15 Member

helll no to this trade....i love billups game, but he is getting old...plus i think the starters for the pistons look good because they have unique chemistry with each other...if you split them up who knows what ull get. Remember, Billups was a mediocre player before going to the pistons. T-mac is too big of a talent to trade away for those two....

14. poprocks

poprocks Member

Hamilton maybe Billups no

15. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

Nobody who shoot less than .400 should be starting for any NBA team. Also I put a lot of the blame for those trademark rockets offensive droughts squarely on his shoulders.

The PG position is so critical to the success of a team that if you can get a player like Billups when you're struggling with that position I think you've got to pull the trigger.

16. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

thacabbage

With the Blazers having some interest in moving at least one Pick in the upcoming Draft, they have some room to Season a deal if needed. Not sure if the timeline for doing a major trade would make the Draft deadline.

17. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Man, talk about Detroit won't die. As long as people understand that this is pure opinion and speculation, then it's fine. If you closely follow the article, he's trying to make an educated guess and that's all good, but there is no shred of evidence anywhere that Detroit and Houston have talked or are talking. For that matter, none that the Rockets are talking about T-Mac with anyone.

There are many public and a couple of private conversations that I know of that Rockets execs have had, and in all of them it's been stated clearly that T-Mac is considered untouchable. Maybe that's a way to drum up value ... I don't know. After all, the Rockets did entertain trade discussions last year. But everything they have been saying is that he's not being traded.

I do think the Rockets are involved in a lot of talks right now though, mostly with the aim of moving up in the draft.

18. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Hmm...I'm intrigued...We need one more player to get Tracy's full value, IMHO...

19. sTeKcOr22

sTeKcOr22 Member

We won't be struggling at PG, but now SG with this trade. We can't get ANYONE with the trade assets we have for another good shooting guard, so stop hoping we can.

I would do:

Hamilton, Billups, Prince

for

McGrady and Alston.

But at the same time, it would destroy all the chemistry we have, and I am pretty sure they don't like Yao.

20. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

Yes, but the question is, would you do this if it was really offered? ;)