1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pippen: "They love me in Houston"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Baqui99, Oct 23, 2000.

1. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

According to the Chronicle, Quitten's going to retire. Good riddance.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/sports/bk/bkn/722503

"Before long, a theme emerged in Scottie Pippen's thinking. Before the past two seasons, Pippen celebrated a new beginning. Before this one, he contemplated the end.

Maybe it was just his return to the stomping grounds of another life, when he was a 6-2 team manager at Central Arkansas. Perhaps the thought of 100 more games (he hopes) in the next eight months seemed more daunting than he was ready to consider. Maybe this just happens after almost 1,200 NBA games.

But with four years and $52 million ($16.4 this season) still due him, Pippen, sounding more envious of Hakeem Olajuwon and his last tour of duty, spoke openly about retirement for the first time.

"I'm winding down I think," he said. "I'll make that decision a little later. But I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. It depends what kind of season we have, whether it's a good season, a great season or a bad season. It's a hard decision."

Last Thursday, the Trail Blazers were in Little Rock, Ark. -- about two hours from Pippen's hometown of Hamburg -- to face the Rockets and he kept making references to the idea of quitting.

He said he was delighted with getting a chance to play at home in Arkansas with (his) career winding down.

He said he wouldn't treat the game differently than any other preseason game at this stage of (his) career. Overall, he feels well. "I'm getting the soreness out. I'm older."

Olajuwon has announced that this will be his don't-even-ask last season. But when Pippen was reminded he should have several years left, he said don't be too sure.

"Go compare my minutes to Hakeem's," he said. "This game has been great to me. I don't want to start talking about retirement. It does cross my mind."

At 35, Pippen looked much as he has the past few years, but he's playing a limited preseason role. He had eight points on 4 of 8 shooting last Thursday. His turnover in the last minute clinched the Rockets win, though Pippen said he was fouled.

Despite all that, he said it was "wonderful" to play in Arkansas. He bought 150 tickets for friends and family. About half his 11 siblings and their families made the trip.

After 42,431 career minutes (including playoffs) he is slowing down. But unlike Olajuwon's drastically reduced duties with the Rockets after 46,462 NBA minutes, Pippen's role with the Trail Blazers will remain largely as it has been.

"Scottie doesn't talk about this season being his last season or anything like that," Trail Blazers guard Steve Smith said. "But this team was put together for one goal, to win a championship."

The Rockets with Pippen had the same goal, but that ended in a first-round playoff loss to the Lakers. The marriage lasted only a few months more.

The Rockets were close to completing the trade with the Trail Blazers when the divorce got ugly with Pippen's bitter invective about Charles Barkley.

But Pippen has not erased all memories of his season in a Rockets' uniform.

"There are days I wake up with the (incessant Portland) rain and say, "Damn, where's the sunshine?' " he said. "I enjoyed my time in Houston. I guess I opened my mouth too much. It wasn't as big as Charles' so I ended up getting kicked out of town.

"But it worked out for both sides."

If does retire, he did get to experienced something in Little Rock that had seemed impossible. He played in a Rockets home game and was the most popular player in town.

"No, not at all," Pippen said. "They love me in Houston." "

------------------
    "Oh No..."
    -Bill Walton in 97 just before Stockton's buzzer beater

2. sirhangover

sirhangover Member

yeah so does scarface..'that busta scottie pippen' actually how does the song go folks?

------------------
    I think people are forgetting that we are the rockets...

WE DONT REBUILD...WE RELOAD....remember that..

3. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I don't know who we love more: Scottie Pippen or Bud Adams.

------------------
    stop posting my damn signature

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'm guessing that comment was made tongue in cheek.

------------------
    When you make an assumption, you make an ass out of yourself and umption.

visit www.swirve.com

5. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Bud Adams is a hero who is responsible for bringing professional football to the unappreciative city of Houston. The man should have a statue erected in his honor in front of the new stadium. Good luck Titans. Win the big one this year.

------------------
    The Game Action forum has been overrun by idiots. The BBS Hangout is where it's at.

6. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

A statue? I'd be happy to be a pigeon at least once a week.

------------------
    stop posting my damn signature

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Damn, Pole, I'd want to be one once a day.

------------------
    When you make an assumption, you make an ass out of yourself and umption.

visit www.swirve.com

8. Valio!

Valio! Member

I think the rockets were officially listed as the "home team" in the game in Arkansas. I think that's why pippen said they love him in "houston"...

Of course that doesnt change my opinion that pippen is only interested in instant winning...he will go whereever he thinks he has a chance to win and if it doesnt happen, he'll look for a change...in other words he's a "win-w****"...everybody wants to win, but other players (like Francis) also have positive character traits like loyalty, sportsmanship, etc...that's the difference between a winner and a "win-w****"

------------------

9. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

yeah, well Chicago used to be filled with "win-whores", but now all they got are "lotto-sluts".

------------------
    There are 3 kinds of lies:

lies, lies, and heypeeisms.

-DrofDunkingDonuts

10. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

This is the beginning of Pippen making another push to be traded again. He's just trying a different tactic this time. I think Valio! hit the nail on the head, Pippen only wants to play on a team that is ready to win the championship with or without him. He doesn't have the patience to help turn a team around. Good riddance to him!

------------------

11. Drag-On 88

Drag-On 88 Member

sir hangover,

i like that Willie D, Lil' Wayne, and Scarface song too...

Willie D says something at the end of his verse like: "...that busta Scottie Pippen, we kicked that drunk out of town, 'cuz he was trippin'"

------------------

12. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

I like that Drag on song called Spit Fire. I think DMX is in the video with a firefighters
    suit on.

13. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

"lotto-sluts"....funny stuff Crisco.

------------------
    "Oh No..."
    -Bill Walton in 97 just before Stockton's buzzer beater

14. Holden

Holden Member

i dont know, maybe its just the alchohol talking but after reading that article i kind of feel bad for the guy. at least he liked it here...he could have had the oppurtunity to bash the city and he didnt... i dont know, he doesnt seem so bad anymore...

------------------
    "Man, it's cool. I'm going to be president. That's Wicked." -George W. Bush, SNL

15. SJSLAX82

SJSLAX82 Member

i can't belive he would say that! who does he think he is!!!!

------------------
    SJSLAX82

Visit my site
    Blast Off

16. Holden

Holden Member

ok ...ok...ok....i hate him too....

------------------
    "Man, it's cool. I'm going to be president. That's Wicked." -George W. Bush, SNL

17. Miggidy Markell

Well Snottie Spittin all I can say is that is was yo own jack@$$'s fault for dissin Charles! I bet he has nightmares about Charles bashin him and nightmares about leavin Houston!!!!

------------------
    Miggidy Markell says:

1. Eastcoast is da sh*t
    2. Rockets rule
    3. Hip/Hop is dope
    4. Buy the new Ruff Ryders album!

Miggidy Markell is watching
    Stay STRAPPED & WATCH ya back or be Assimilated.

18. jaworski2000

jaworski2000 Member

It's all downhill now for Pimpin'. I guess he realized his mistakes and how he fu@%ed up and wasted his opportunity here in Houston. He owes everything to the Rockets. Because of the Rockets organization, he was given a new start, a big salary, a chance to win a championship, a chance to play with Chuck and Dream and be part of a truly wonderful and loyal organization (family) like the Rockets. I guess he'll forever be known as a shadow of MJ. He'll never win a championship or ever lead his team in the championship because he was never a winner and a good leader. No doubt he's a whiner.

Sorry, Pippen but we never loved you here in Houston. Clyde the Glide would still be 2 times better than Pippen even if he comes out of retirement now and play with the Rockets.

Dear Scottie,

You should retire now and form your own band and name it Pimp Bizkit.No one wants you except the people in your hometown.

------------------
    President of the Sir Charles Barkley Fan Club

19. JCBlazersGirl33

Naw, just someone thinking out loud.

Scottie's human, after all. He can get tired of the grind, just like the rest of us... When you're 35, have 6 championships and being interviewed in the 1st pro-game you have ever played so close to home (not to mention it's the pre-season) - thoughts about the future and the way you're going to finish your career are understandable.How many times has shaq talked about retirement? Chuck? My dad talks about it all the time.He could be trying to light a fire under the team's ass to get serious(WIN NOW).

------------------
    PHILOSOPHY "Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: 'mankind'. Basically, it's made up of two separate words -- 'mank' and 'ind'. What do these words mean? It's a mystery, and that's why so is mankind."

20. prettyricky

prettyricky Member

Whoa, I put the pc up for a few days and almost miss a chance to crack scottie

top ten reasons I HATE PIPPEN:

10. he aint sh$@#T
    9. he sucks
    8. he cant guard dirk n. of d-town
    7. he cant guard b. russell of utah
    6. he dissed charles
    5. he aint sh@#$%t!!!!!!!!
    4. he whines like a bit@#$!!!!!
    3. he dissed clyde
    2. he cant guard freaking george mcleoud
    1. HE AINT SH@#$%^^%$#$%^&^%$T!!!!!!!!!

I HOPE HE RETIRES AND NEVER CLIMBS FROM UNDER HIS KING SIZE PANTIES TO BE SEEN BY A BASKETBALL INTERVIEWER AGAIN!!!!!

------------------
    "Isn't the purpose of the game to put the ball in the basket?"