1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pippen asks to be traded...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ScreamingRocketJet, Dec 18, 2002.

1. ScreamingRocketJet

This basically translates to "get me the hell out of here"...
    Leaving him in Portland after comments like these just can't be an option.

Pippen, who had 11 points and eight assists, described the acquisition of Shawn Kemp as "the worst move in pro sports."

He also said Portland owner Paul Allen and president and general manager Bob Whitsitt "don't want to win. They're just trying to excite the crowd" by acquiring new players.

"They've done the wrong things for the community, because they broke up a team the fans could get behind," Pippen went on to say. "You've got to build relationships. You've got to build chemistry. We'll win some games, but when the dust settles, we'll be under the dust."

After the game, Pippen was unflinching, saying the organization knows he's telling it like it is.

"If I speak the truth, what can they say?" Pippen said. "I've been saying it all along, it just finally got publicized. It's very obvious what's going on."

2. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

3. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

This translates to "THE TRUTH."

He nailed it, told it exactly like it is. If you were in his shoes, you'd probably want to be traded too. Actually, if I remember correctly, Pippen said he would consider the Lakers next year, when he's a free agent.

4. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I'd agree that it probably is the truth.

Of course, that doesn't make Pippen any less of a worthless punk for spouting it off to the media.

He only brings problems, not solutions. His comments to the press are only designed to benefit him at the expense of his team. Though society may deride the coach chokers and the wife beaters more, NOBODY is a bigger cancer to the team, a more worthless punk, a more sure fire lock to leave your team in the gutter, than the one and only, Scottie Pippen.

5. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I'm with Pippen all the way...to basketball Hell. The classical gravy-trainer. Always sees the problem, never sees the solution. Maybe Pippen is part of the problem?

He'll likely be a Laker next year after the Lake Show fails this year and Shaq will win a ring and Pip will claim he, Pip, was the difference.

6. UTmo

UTmo Contributing Member

I'm gonna start a "Let's get Pippen back" thread?
    who's with me?
    Pippen in a rox uniform! WOOHOO

7. UTmo

UTmo Contributing Member

um, just tol let everyone know, i was kidding..... :)

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

can we get this guy off the top 50 list, already??? what a joke

9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

pippen just forgot to pop his lithium.

10. PiPdAdY33

PiPdAdY33 Member

Please don't tell me you're bold enough to question Pippen's being in the top 50. Hate Pippen or not, you still have to admit he's one of the top 50 greatest of all time, that's a given. So please attack something else about him.

11. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Pippen only made the top 50 because of MJ. Period. There are those that were left out of the origanal top fifty (Dominique Wilkens) that were better than Pippen. Now that there are players like KG, Kobe, Duncan, Dirk and Yao Ming their is no way Quitten could make the top 50 if it were done today.

12. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

Umm PipDady33,

I'll question Pippen being in the top 50. How about this, the guy shouldn't be on the list. I will say this though, Pip is the greatest role player in NBA history.

But you see, role players have no place on the NBA's top 50. You are going to tell me that Pippen is a better player than Dominiquw Wilkins?

If you want to keep your credibility, you'd better say no. You see, Wilkins was a go to man, and the centerpiece around the Hawks, where was Pippen was never a go-to man in Chicago, and got his recogition because Michael Jordan was the centerpiece.

Pippen would not have his rings without MJ, but MJ may have had his titles without Pippen simply due to the fact that the Bulls could have found many other players to play Pippen' role.

Pippen had chances to be a centerpiece of a team. But the Bulls were only declining in 1995 until MJ saved his ass in March of that year.

Then Pip had another chance to be the centerpiece, with a fading Hakeem Olajuwon, and a soon to be retiring Charles Barkley. But he flat out quit on Houston.

You see, He can't handle being the man on a ballclub.

He would have been the man on the Rockets after Hakeem and Charles retired, but he saw that this situation was going to happen, and he got afraid......

....and used Charles Barkley to get out of town.

So Pip wound up where he belongs, being a role player on a Portland team full of Go-to Guys like Wallace, Sabonis and Brian grant at the time.

Yet you still think he should be in the Top 50? Shake yourself.

It's a joke he is on the list. It's criminal he is in over dominque.

13. crash5179

A few other players besides Dominique Wilkins that I thought was better than Quitten and are not in the top 50:

Bernard King
    Cedric Maxwell
    Larry Nance
    Jack Sikma
    Adrian Dantley
    Mark Aquire
    Alex English
    Artis Gilmore
    Gus Willliams
    Dale Ellis
    Tom Chambers
    Dennis Rodman
    Buck Williams

The list just goes on and on. I could name several more that were better or just as good. Pippen is nothing more than a quitter that had the good fortune of playing on the same team as MJ. Quitten is a quitter and a cancer.

14. PiPdAdY33

PiPdAdY33 Member

Please remind me how many rings Wilkins won?? Pippen did lead the Bulls when Jordan left, the year they were knocked out of the playoffs was due a horrendous call by the refs. He did not lead in Houston because that Rockets did not use him in the proper way and when he was traded to Portland they had an overload of talent. He stil managed to take them to a 7th game of the Western Conference in 2000 and would have continued this if not for the Blazer's poor management. He is number 44 all time in scoring, so in addition to everything else we know he can do, he still ranks as a pretty good scorer.

Yao Ming, in the top 50, not quite Crash.

I won't argue Duncan or Kobe because they deserve, Dirk still has to put together some more good years.

15. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

Ref's fault, huh?

Well, if he's so good, the Bulls souldn't have been in the situation in the first place. By saying this, it seems you are implying that Pippen was better than Jordan. I am personally still (and always will be) angry at Pippen. He jumped ship too soon.

But you CANNOT say he "lead" the Rockets to the 7th game. It wasn't him. The Rockets had both Hakeem and Charles. There is no way you or anyone else can argue that Pippen was better than either of them.

While I dislike Pippen, I do admit he was there when (or if) Michael ever had an off night. He did bring them together. He (somehow) may be a HOFamer, but he is definitely not a guy you would want on your team as the main man.

I'd rather have Matt Maloney on my team than Pippen.

Btw, it's not the Rockets fault Quitten sucked. Just had to slip it in.

16. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

No one said he lead the Rockets anywhere. He did however lead the Blazers to game 7 of the WCF in 2000. They were up by nearly 20 going into the 4th but the Lakers came back and the rest is history.

17. crash5179

1. Yao Ming, Duncan, KG and Kobe were intended to be taken as future top 50 players. Yao Ming should easily be considered a favorite to be in that class. Certainly he is not there yet and things could change but he is certainly on course. There is no question that Dirk is better than Pippen ever was, the talent comparison is not even close. Dirk is light years more talented than Pippen.

2. Don’t blame the officials for Pippen’s failures with out Jordan. Pippen proved that he was nothing more than a quitter when he refused to go into the final seconds of a play-off game for the Bulls because Phil Jackson called for Toni Kucoc to take the last shot. Little Scottie Quitten is a quitter and a looser.

3. How many bad calls did Dominique have to endure that kept him out of the finals? It’s nice of you not to consider that.

4. Once again Pippen did not get utilized in Houston the way he wanted so he sulked and became a cancer in the locker room and off of the court. At some point you might think that the Sorry Ass Scottie Quitten would have learned that the game is not just about him and that the truly great players adapt their game to the situation.

Pippen was a top 50 player for one reason and one reason only…M.J.

18. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

My mistake then.

19. PiPdAdY33

PiPdAdY33 Member

Dirk is most certainly a more talented offensive player but in terms of all around game I've got to go with Pippen and until Dallas wins any Championships I'd take it easy with the Dirk talk.

How many titles did Jordan win w/o Pippen, none exactly he did not start winning until Pip joined the team.

20. crash5179

To say that Dirk is better than the NBA's all time quitter is a modest compliment at best. There is absolutely no question that Dirk is a better all around player than Quitten ever was.

Are you trying to say that Jordan could not have won an NBA championship with out Quitten? Now whos smoking crack?