1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pink Floyd Question

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by vj23k, Dec 21, 2002.

1. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

I posed this question before(I think in the Greatest Band Ever thread), but the thread quickly faded, and noone responded.

Anyway, I loved the more classic rock-type stuff in Wish You Were Here. It is easily one of my top 10 CD's. I had huge expectations for The Wall, since it seems to be the most popular of Floyd albums. And, well, I was pretty dissapointed. It was good, just totally different from what I expected.

So...Which Floyd albums are more like Wish You Were Here and not as "spacy" as The Wall.

2. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

vj,

I can't seem to remember many Pink Floyd fans on the board but I do know that subtomic is one of them. Unfortunately, PF is a band that I have yet to get into.

But I will say that at a bare minimum that anyone who wants to have some CDs by them needs to have "Dark Side of the Moon" in their collection. Whether it is like "Wish You Were Here", I have no idea. However, you can always read reviews of those 2 CDs on Amazon and try to see if they are similar to one another.

3. codell

codell Contributing Member

VJ,

I would also recommend Dark Side of the Moon. It has some very mellow songs and some classic Floyd songs all together in one album.

There is a reason thats is the highest selling album of all time.

4. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Definitely Dark Side of the Moon...

but...

How can anyone NOT like The Wall? It's an absolute classic. I listened to it so much when it came out that I wore the grooves out. I knew every lyric to every song.

Hello...

Is there anybody in there?

Just nod if you can hear me...

Is there anyone home?

Relax....

I need some information first

Just the basic facts

Can you show me where it hurts?

5. codell

Quick, name the Pink Floyd song title that goes with these lyrics:

Run, run rabbit run
    Dig that hole, forget the sun,
    And when at last the work is done
    Don't sit down it's time to start another one
    For long you live and high you fly
    But only if you ride the tide
    And balanced on the biggest wave
    You race toward an early grave.

6. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Former Floyd fanatic and still a big fan..

I dont actually see The Wall as spacey....you want spacey, go with Atom Heart Mother, Saucerful of Secrets, or Meddle. "Echoes" is the greatest off Meddle...fantastic song. If you didnt like the Wall avoid The Final Cut bc it is basically the second chapter of The Wall.

Wish You Were Here is a great album. Dark Side is also mainstream but it is conceptual like The Wall, for each song is about things that drive you insane. Momentary Lapse of Reason lacks Roger Waters but does have a classic rock feel to it, which explains its multiple hits. You may want to try Animals, its sort of between Wish You Were Here and The Wall...its conceptual yet more a less so than The Wall or Dark Side.

I would start with Dark Side. Its a masterpiece.

7. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

Hey vj, go rent the movie The Wall (not the live concert, but the movie) with Bob Geldof.... maybe visuals would help you enjoy the music more?

8. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

Dark Side of the Moon is one of the greatest CDs I've ever heard!! It took me a while to get into it, but once I listened to it a few times I was hooked!! Check it out. I have the Wall but haven't heard the whole thing. Didn't seem <i>that</i> far out to me.

9. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

A friend of mine really likes 'Atom Heart Mother'.

That's all I've got.

10. Behad

Breathe, from Dark side of the moon. Would have been quicker, but I'm at work and just saw your post.

How about
    I've got the obligatory Hendrix perm
    And I've got the inevitable pinhole burns
    All down the front of my favourite satin shirt

11. codell

Nobody Home :D

how about ...

"We're just knocked out. We heard about the sell out
    You gotta get an album out, you owe it to the people
    We're so happy we can hardly count
    Everybody else is just green, have you seen the chart?
    Its a helluva start, it could be made into a monster if we all
    pull together as a team
    And did we tell you the name of the game boy
    We call it Riding the Gravy Train"

the above lyrics actually come from one of my top 5 fav Pink Floyd songs

12. Behad

Have a cigar.... I love the lines:

Now I've always had a deep respect and I mean that most sincerely

The band is just fantastic, that is really what I think

Oh by the way, which one's Pink?

13. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

you should check out Animals, not mentioned above. its just got some long jams, and it showcases their talents as musicians, in my opinion.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000024D4R.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg[/IMG]

Pigs On The Wing
    Dogs
    Pigs(three different ones)
    Sheep
    PIgs On The Wing 2

you may also want to pick up their last album, Division Bell, to see where they have gone since old ROger Waters left the band.

I was lucky, I got to see Floyd in '94 at RIce Stadium and it was an amazing experience.[​IMG]

14. across110thstreet

you should check out Animals, not mentioned above. its just got some long jams, and it showcases their talents as musicians, in my opinion.

[​IMG]

Pigs On The Wing
    Dogs
    Pigs(three different ones)
    Sheep
    PIgs On The Wing 2

you may also want to pick up their last album, Division Bell, to see where they have gone since old ROger Waters left the band.

I was lucky, I got to see Floyd in '94 at RIce Stadium and it was an amazing experience.[​IMG]

15. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Were you as pissed as I was when the Rice show was cut short by rain? I had 15th row seats and we were standing on our chairs....that was a serious downpour.

16. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Thanks all for the suggestions.

Dark Side of the Moon, Momentary Lapse of Reason, and Animals all just went on my wishlist(Which I now actually keep on paper because CDnow was bought by Amazon, and I can't seem to access my account).

Don't get me wrong now, I liked The Wall(I exaggerated with the "dissappointed," I just wouldn't count it as one of my favorites. It may just be because I haven't been exposed to much music like Floyd's, but The Wall is my most "out there" CD.

I simply loved all of Wish You Were Here(The title track is one of my favorites).

When did the Roger Waters-era Pink Floyd break up? Why? What role did Syd Barrett play in the band? I know that Wish You Were Here was written for him, but was he a member of the band?

17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Lots of good stuff already mentioned, but if you want some trippy experimental Floyd try Umma Gumma. Not for everyones taste but interesting and available pretty cheap.

18. across110thstreet

I was on the fifth row!it was first concert ever, and boy did it rain. it was unreal. the skies opened up at the beginning of Wish You Were Here.

Syd was an original member of "The Pink Floyd" around 1965. Piper At The Gates Of Dawn released in 1967.

"Syd was freaky. Syd had taken Acid. One day the name 'Pink Floyd' appeared to him in a vision."

A Saucerfull of Secrets released in 1968, Barrett credited with one song,"Jugband Blues."

basically Syd went nuts. if you haven't seen the film version of "The Wall" you miught as well do that too. The character is based on Syd Barrett.

Roger Waters left after "The Wall" he and Dave Gilmour had their differences and split ways, but Rick Wright, Gilmour, and Nick Mason continued Floyd and released "A momentary lapse of reason "and "Division Bell" in the late 80's and 90's . Learning To Fly is very popular from this period.

I heard that Roger Waters used to visit Syd Barrett, who lived with his mother , and would give him royalty checks. thanks for re-igniting my passion for Floyd !

19. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The evidence before the court is
    Incontrivertable, there's no need for
    The jury to retire.
    In all my years of judging
    I have never heard before
    Of someone more deserving
    Of the full penaltie of law.
    The way you made them suffer,
    Your exquisite wife and mother,
    Fills me with the urge to defecate!

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Lol! I saw them at Rice, and Nature was providing some serious competition. They were really "pouring it on" when it was stopped.

I saw them at the Music Hall when they first came out with "Dark Side of the Moon" and they had "quadraphonic sound" that swirled around you... early surround sound. Awesome!