1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[PING!] College Baseball 2012

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Rocketman95, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Texas State has not allowed a run in 50 1/3 innings. That includes wins over UH and TCU as well as a sweep of Notre Dame.

2. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Texas State is really, really good. It won't be long before they find themselves in the national rankings. It goes without saying that they are the favorites in the Southland.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the Coogs this year. Coach Whitting now has a team full of mostly "his guys." The talent level is way up from where it was just a couple of years ago.

They still have to play up above their heads to beat the top teams, but they are in a position to sneak into a regional this year.

1 person likes this.
  3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

#21. Taking on Rice tonight.

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Streak ends at 57 and 2/3. Tied 1-1 in the 8th.

Love me some ping.

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'm talking to myself, I know. But walk-off single for the good guys. Bobcats win 3-2. :grin:

bigtexxx, pre-game beers on me at Kay's on 4/10. You down?

6. The Drake

The Drake Member

Congrats to the Bobcats, they are a heck of a team.

I think Rice is overrated this year. We've got pitching depth, but no real TOR-level talent, or at least it hasn't emerged yet. Hoepfully we bounce back against T&M-CC tonight before getting swept by Stanford this weekend.

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Is that here or away? I'm heading out to the Bay Area this weekend and would love to take my nephew.

8. The Drake

The Drake Member

The Stanford series? It's in Palo Alto

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Sweet...may have to check out a game. Need to remember to pack my Rice t-shirt. :grin:

10. The Drake

The Drake Member

Awesome, have fun! I hope it doesn't get too ugly for the Owls...

11. The Drake

The Drake Member

Well, that wasn't totally embarrassing, but a crappy way to lose nonetheless.

Stanford wins 4-2 on a walk-off homer in the 10th.

12. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Yesterday's loss was much uglier. 11-6. If I'm Rice, I'm more than a little worried about Austin Kubitza.

Granted, he has pitched against some tough competition thus far, but he is getting hit around in a big way. Just as alarming is his walk rate. If it weren't for Matt Reckling (a pitcher whose walks are just part of the package), Kubitza would be lapping the field on the Rice staff in terms of walks issued.

13. The Drake

The Drake Member

Yeah, yesterday was miserable, and I don't know what's wrong with Kubitza.

On the bright side, Stephens (a freshman) has looked good so far, shutting out Stanford for 6 2/3, en route to a 1-0 victory for the Owls.

Glad we avoided the sweep, but other Rice fans always make me cringe when we play Stanford. It's the only school that Rice gets little-brother syndrome around and it's kind of gross.

14. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Meanwhile, UT is off to something of a rough start. They split a DH with Loyola Marymount today to take their record to 6-8. They have played some tough competition like Stanford, Arkansas and Tennessee, but this is nothing new. They play tough teams like these just about every season.

Getting beat by Stanford is one thing, but they got rolled in that series. Then there is a loss to Duke, a loss to UT-Arlington and the aforementioned loss to LMU. They also just snuck by HBU 2-0 and it took extra innings for them to down Dallas Baptist.

I don't think they will be under .500 for the season, but I'm not sure they are going to bounce back and be a top 25 team this season. I think you're seeing what happens when they don't have the pitching depth they're used to. Their offense is pretty bad, as it has been for a few seasons now, but the difference is that they don't have a staff full of proven studs.

15. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I'm a college baseball junkie, but one of the things that bothers me is all the different polls. There is no one definitive poll in college baseball.

Never has that been more apparent than right now in the case of Texas State, a team we have been discussing here. Baseball America has them ranked 20th, but the Collegiate Baseball Writers poll, a poll that ranks 30 teams, has them unranked.

I'm no Texas State fan, but I'm fired up about that. There is no reason for them to be unranked in a poll that ranks 30 teams.

16. jdh008

jdh008 Member

In something of an upset, SHSU has taken the first two games from Texas State in their series this weekend.

They won last night by the score of 4-3 and then ran away with the game today 10-4. It's really a shame that Texas State is heading to the WAC because with the way David Pierce has been recruiting in his short time in Huntsville, the SHSU/TSU rivalry would be really fun over the next few years.

17. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Make it a sweep as Sam wins the Sunday game 5-2. Texas State has kind of hit the skids since their hot start.

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Yes they have.

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Baylor is 6-0 in conference...18-7 overall. So far and away the best year for sports for my alma mater, it's ridiculous.

Heisman Trophy winner

bowl win

Elite Eight appearance for the 2nd time in 3 years.

likely the womens' hoop champ

great early start in baseball

20. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

EAT EM UP KATS!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAA!