1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pilots Want Guns

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Johnny Rocket, Sep 24, 2001.

1. Johnny Rocket

Johnny Rocket Contributing Member

The Pilots association has asked congress to change legislation and allow them to carry loaded guns in the cockpit. Link coming soon.

2. Johnny Rocket

Johnny Rocket Contributing Member

3. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

Anybody know what percentage of our commercial pilots have a military flying background already? I bet it's pretty high.

4. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

At the very minimum, they should have stun guns.

5. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Wouldn't having guns on board a plane defeat the purpose?
    After beefing up security so no one gets on board a plane with weapons, you learn there are already weapons on board, no need to bring your own.

6. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I don't know if anyone knows this but the average starting salary for a pilot on a commercial airliner is $16,000. There are some airlines that start pilots as low as $13,000!!!

I mean, doesn't that seem really kinda nuts? These guys have our lives in their hands and they make just barely more than the poverty line to start???

7. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

One other thing...

Bob makes a very good point. One government report last year stated that nearly 70% of gun-related crimes were perpetrated with stolen guns, many of which came from residences.

Just last week, a kid broke into a house down the street from us and the only thing he stole was a loaded pistol. There are tons of cases of people killed with their own guns by criminals every year.

I don't have a problem with security on flights but I'm not sure I want a pilot with a gun unless they have security training. Even if they have a gun, who's to say they'll be able to use it properly in an emergency situation?

By the way, Bob. Great sig! :)

8. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

I don't know about you guys, but I'd rather that someone not fire a gun off in a pressurized cannister at 35,000 feet.

Just a thought. :eek:

9. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I want Ali Landry and a billion bucks!

Im with BobFinn on this one. Seems kind of retarted if there are guns already on the plane. No reason to bring your own :rolleyes:

10. dylan

dylan Contributing Member

I don't know about you Heb, but I'd rather that someone not hijack a plane and fly it into the WTC. :eek:

Now I'm not saying having armed pilots is the best option but I think dismissing it for fear of the consequences is shortsighted if you don't consider the possible consequences of not having armed pilots...

11. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Just lock the freakin cockpit and everything should be fine.

12. TraJ

TraJ Member

This may very well be one of the first times I'm going to side with Achebe. :)

13. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

What odds do you think are greater...

1. Gun handled by untrained pilot going off at 32,000 feet.
    2. Terrorist hijacking plane and running it into a building.

My concern isn't the existence of guns on flights. My concern is who is using them. I have no objection to guns in the possession of federal marshalls on flights. They are not only trained in how to use them but also in combat and pressure situations with hostile forces.

Pilots make less than most of us do and have no training whatsoever. Now, if the FAA is willing to put every pilot through an 8-week anti-terrorism training course, I'm all for it.

14. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

yee-hoo! TraJ and I agreed on something! :D

15. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

True Statistic:

Police manage to hit the target on 1 of 3 shots in real life situations.

Non-police hit roughly 1 in 10 shots in real life situations.

16. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

How about "fast-acting" tranquilizer guns instead of dum-dum bullets?!

17. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Hmmmm.

Stun gun

-or-

Projectile weapons capable of de-pressurizing airplane passenger cabin and sending everyone to fiery grave

You make the call...

I agree with others. Let's just lock the damn cockpit.

18. ArtVandolet

ArtVandolet Member

Looks like this <a href="http://www.accessatlanta.com/ajc/terrorism/atlanta/0925gun.html">guy </a>was trying to get the ball rolling.

19. dc sports

dc sports Member

I didn't read through the CNN article, but the ESPN one said that they proposed using the same special ammunition used by the Sky Marshalls, which is designed to break up and not go through the pressurized cabin.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/631075.asp

Almost all commercial airline pilots have military training. It's virtually the only way an individual can log enough flight hours (in the thousands) to meet the requirements to become a pilot. All former military pilots are trained to use firearms. The proposal would require additional training and screening of the pilots who want to carry a firearm.

I'm a little mixed on the issue. In a way, it's a little like prisions, where guards inside in any prisioner area can not carry firearms, so an inmate can't get one from a guard.

On the other hand, if the pilots are secured in their compartment, I don't see a problem with them having one as a last line of defense. The military stresses firearm safety -- probably more so than even law enforcement training does. Add the reinforcement of the special training and screening, and it shouldn't be any more dangerous than a sky marshall or reservist with a weapon on the plane. In fact, it may be safer, since a pilot would understand the dangers of firing a weapon on an aircraft better, and would only do so as a last resort.

Jeff, where did you get the salary for a pilot? Commercial airline pilots are unionized, and very well paid. During the last threatened strike by one airline, they were upset, because starting pilots were paid "only" something like $80,000 per year, and most were making $100K+. The regional carriers probably pay less, but because of the very strict requirements, all the pilots are paid well above average.

--------------------------

Added:

Here's some info:

http://stats.bls.gov/oco/ocos107.htm
    Earnings of airline pilots are among the highest in the Nation, and depend on factors such as the type, size, and maximum speed of the plane, and the number of hours and miles flown. For example, pilots who fly jet aircraft usually earn higher salaries than turbo-prop pilots do. In 1998, median annual earnings of aircraft pilots and flight engineers were $91,750. Pilots and flight engineers may earn extra pay for night and international flights.

Airline pilots usually are eligible for life and health insurance plans financed by the airlines. They also receive retirement benefits and if they fail the FAA physical examination at some point in their careers, they get disability payments.

In addition, pilots receive an expense allowance, or "per diem," for every hour they are away from home. Per diem can represent up to $500 each month in addition to their salary. Some airlines also provide allowances to pilots for purchasing and cleaning their uniforms.

As an additional benefit, pilots and their immediate families usually are entitled to free or reduced fare transportation on their own and other airlines.

#19 dc sports, Sep 25, 2001
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2001
  20. dc sports

dc sports Member

FYI -- Here are some of the other suggestions noted in the MSNBC article, from airline employees:

1) Putting webbing behind the cockpit door to entangle an intruder
    2) Give pilots time to a stun gun or other weapon
    3) Leave hot coffee on the burner during takeoff for use against hijackers