1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pierce suggest the Celtics to trade their #7 pick for

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Hard Rock, Jun 16, 2006.

1. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

2. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Further proof that NBA players are completely clueless when it comes to player personnel transaction issues.

This is reminiscent of Mobley and Francis wanting to trade the #1 for Odom except it's the other way around in value.

3. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

If the #7 is enough for either KG or J O'Neal, may be our #8 would do it too. Page me if they need my left nut to sweeten the deal.

Seriously, if someone on this board starts a thread like that he would be called idiots for at least 20 times before the thread got locked. :D

4. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

throw in Stro as well

5. Outlier

Outlier Member

Trade T-Mac for it.

6. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

I think we should trade our 2nd rounder for Wade.

7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

8th,stro,tmac and anything else to suit up KG and Yao

and lets get eddie g too

Rafer
    Mike James
    KG - he could play a three
    Eddie - shot blocking, looked pretty good with yao at times
    Yaoza

8. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

Geez, the more I read about these posts, the more I want Tmac to put out a monster season next year and shut you guys the ^&$%$ up!

#8 DeAleck, Jun 17, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2006
  9. hooroo

hooroo Member

reading between the lines i think pierce is really saying trade the pick and package wally or raef for some help.

10. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

TMac to Boston, #8 pick plus salary filler to Minnesota, #7 pick and KG to Houston.

That sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

I like TMac, but an average season from TMac (that means no back problems) is not as good as an average season from Garnett. Garnett gives you similar scoring and passing, but twice as many rebounds and lock down defense against any position. Even if TMac had a career year, one wouldn't feel too bad about getting Garnett for him.

#10 StupidMoniker, Jun 17, 2006
  11. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

You are totally wrong on this. An average season from Tmac (say 2004-2005) is better than Garnett on many levels. Tmac is a paremeter player, and he can slash, penetrate, make outside shots, and simply dominate the game if he needs to. Garnett is an inside player, where we already have someone named Yao Ming. Although he and Yao don't totally overlap, but their inside scoring do. I would much rather have an inside-outside combo like Tmac and Yao than an overload of inside power like Garnett and Yao would have.

If you forget about the position, I would also take Tmac over Garnett. They are both all around players. The only thing Garnett can do better than Tmac is rebounding, and that's because he's 7'0 and Tmac's 6'8. Tmac is a better shooter, scorer, slasher and play maker, and he has the ability to dominate the game the way Garnett never can. Basically, Tmac can be unstoppable. Garnett can't. You don't see 13 in 35 sec from Garnett, do you? In fact, if I remember correctly, Garnett only scored over 40 points once maybe twice in his career, whereas Tmac can average 40 points in a few games together.

If you want to talk about defense, I agree that Garnett does seem to have more desire. However, ability along, they are pretty much equal in that area. Remember, last season, it was Tmac who shut down Dirk in the playoffs.

Garnett is also older than Tmac. However, Tmac does have the injury factor. If his back is chronicle like someone suggests, the trade is a no-brainer. However, if he comes back healthy, you'll all regret ever to make comments like this.

12. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

An average season from McGrady eclipses an average season from Garnett. McGrady gives you far more scoring, more passing, and what he gives up in rebounding and defense, he makes up with his ball handling, playmaking, and play in the clutch. Not to mention the fact that McGrady is the best fit in the league as complement to Yao.

Garnett's one of the most overrated players in league history. A glorified Shawn Marion. He fills up the stat sheet and gives you everything he has, but can't give you a basket when you need one. He's a second fiddle. The only reason you even consider trading McGrady for Garnett is if McGrady is still injured. But an average season from both? The two are not even close.

13. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Average season for McGrady - 22.2 ppg, 6.4 rpg, 4.4 apg, 1.37 spg, 1.00 bpg
    Average season for Garnett - 20.4 ppg, 11.2 rpg, 4.5 apg, 1.40 spg, 1.70 bpg

I guess if scoring 1.8 points is more important than getting 4.8 rebounds, .1 assist, .03 steals, and .7 blocks then you are right. Otherwise, an average Garnett season is better. Now, TMac may be a better fit with Yao than Garnett, but I am not certain of that. Garnett is the perfect PF to play with Yao. He has good range on his jumpshot and is an excellent passer, so you can play him in the high post. On the defensive end, you can have him shut down the other teams best perimeter player if they are having a big night, but you can also have him shut down the paint, which is what everyone says is the help Yao needs down low.

I would say that given that Garnett gives you at worst equal production in comparison to McGrady, then if McGrady ends up being healthy, then no harm done you give a great player and get one back. If McGrady's back takes him out again, then you have gotten a great player for an injured one, and you are a big winner. Garnett has never missed more than 6 games in a season, so his health is not a big gamble. He is also only 30 years old, so you can expect him to continue producing for quite a while.

As for Garnett being second fiddle, that is perfect for Houston because Yao is the #1 option. Garnett probably won't give us any 3-20, 13-37, 9-22, or 8-22 games. He can play to his personality which is to shy away from taking over games and play within himself. Now, that means we won't see something like the 13 points in 33 seconds that TMac did against the Spurs, but it could end up giving us more wins from steadier production and more well defined roles.

#13 StupidMoniker, Jun 17, 2006
  14. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

All we would have is post up play if we had KG and Yao. We would not have one perimeter player that could also take it to the rack. I wouldnt trade Tmac for KG.

15. Drift Monkey

Drift Monkey Member

KG has a midrange faceup game too ya know... :p

16. richirich

richirich Contributing Member

Maybe Gundy would unleash Yao shooting 3p's?

:eek:

17. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

"You know, it'd be really cool if we had radioactive spiders bite us so we could get super-spider powers and then we could win a lot of games. Yeah, that would be cool, our management should do that. Me and my homie Two-Tall should totally own this team."

-Stephon Marbury

18. fa7999

fa7999 Member

The thread title is misleading. PP mentioned that the Celtics should use the #7 pick as part of a chip to explore the deal mentioned above.

He never said that #7 pick can land you KG.

19. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Actually it was #1 for Odom and and the #3 pick if I remember correctly. A line up of

Cato
    Amare (though I doubt Rox would've being smart enough to draft him),
    Lamar
    Cat
    Steve

Could've probably done well at the time.

20. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

so Wally + #7 for KG or Raef + #7 for KG are more realistic? :confused: