1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pickup Trucks

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Kevooooo, Jul 21, 2023.

1. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Fellow fans of the City of Clutch, I come to you for advice and honest reviews. I am in the market for a pickup truck. I have always been set on an F-150 but they’ve gotten ridiculously expensive and I won’t get a basic package — I want all the interiors!

Anyone here have an F-150 Platinum, Limited, or Kings Ranch?

anyone here have a Chevy Silverado?

I will primarily use this for DIY projects around the house, yard and garden. Not a lot of towing so I don’t need the most powerful engine. Don’t want a smaller truck like the Maverick. Some road trips to Hou/SA/Dallas but mostly just around Austin — 10 miles to work, 10 miles back — plus lots of trips to Taco Bell.

Any thoughts you’d like to share? The mpg is definitely a concern, but I don’t want a smaller truck and definitely don’t want the full electric. Looking at Hybrid Eco Power Boost engines.

Also note, my timeline is flexible. My current 120k miles sedan runs fine and it’s paid off. I’m just sick of borrowing friends trucks or having to trade labor for Home Depot runs.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Xerobull, Two Sandwiches and Kevooooo like this.
  3. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Based on what you want it for, it sounds like you need to get yourself a Toyota Tacoma. Not small like the Maverick, not as unnecessarily big like the F150/Silverado/Yukon. Most Americans don't need those sort of picks ups.

You are concerned about gas mileage and cost and the tasks you describe can be accomplished with a Tacoma. Just get a Tacoma man and get their Limited model.

EDIT: I would recommend the Ridgeline since it really is a great vehicle, but I know the majority of truck aficionados don't consider it a truck. I guess it's a Pilot with it's back cut off.

Salvy, ThatBoyNick and Two Sandwiches like this.
  4. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

No.

I want an F150 or maybe a Silverado. I’ve ALWAYS wanted an F150, not because I need one but because I love the look. It’s literally been my “dream car” since I was like 15. I know I can get a lighter truck and accomplish 95% what I use it for. I don’t care. This is my luxury vehicle.

You could buy a Camry and accomplish all the same needs but people still buy BMWs.

This isn’t a “what kind of truck should I buy” thread. This is a “tell me about your experience with F150 or Silverado “ thread. Not to be an ass — but I should head off any further suggestions of what I need and don’t need.

I don’t NEED a new vehicle. I WANT one. And cost isn’t an issue — but I don’t want to spend 100k just because I can — so I’m seeking advice on what features really aren’t worth it. As for MPG, my first vehicle was a Durango. I got 14mpg. Now I get 30. I don’t mind losing some gas efficiency but don’t want to go back to 14.

I find all trucks ugly except the F150s and Silverados. ESPECIALLY the Toyota trucks. I have a type.

ElPigto likes this.
  5. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Trust me I don’t want THAT big of a truck. And of course I back in every time! Why wouldn’t you — if there isn’t anyone behind you waiting??

J.R. likes this.
  6. CrazyJoeDavola

I would get the Silverado. It has the largest back window so you don't run over someone when backing up plus plenty of room for the biggest "Salt Life" decal they sell at Bass Pro Shops.

ima_drummer2k likes this.
  7. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

My dad has an F150 and a Silverado. They both seem nice. I haven't ridden in them much, but I like the Silverado's infotainment better, for some reason.

I have nothing other to add than that. My dad is a Ford guy through and through. His Silverado is a work truck. Thought he'd die when I told him I liked the Chevy better.

Kevooooo likes this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

If you're gonna get a little truck, get a Toyota

cmoak1982 and Xerobull like this.
  9. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Both the F150 and Silverado/Sierra are nice trucks. I’ve never owned a F150 but I have several friends who have them and I’ve rode/drove both.

Both trucks are nice, especially the 22 and up models. Meanwhile Toyota has the dependability due to their name, they lack a ton of interior upgrades and have had frame rust issues. Especially the Tacoma’s.

The Denali Sierras are badass. I’ve had two - a 2017 (got stolen lol) and now a 23. It has power, drives like a sedan but functions like a truck but you’re going to pay a pretty penny for it.

Maybe it was the pandemic, supply chain shortages, what have you, but when my 17 was stolen, I was paid almost the exact amount I bought it for 5 years ago. Can’t complain with that kind of resale value

Kevooooo and Astrodome like this.
  10. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Since you’re looking for advice on what kind of truck to get, I would say that a lot of people I know have dodged, and they seem happy. The Tacoma and Tundra are a solid vehicle that will outlive you. I’m be heard good things about the ridge line, but they are fugly. Don’t know much about the Nissan but for the right price they could work…I know you’re being cost conscious.

Some other non conventional options are the Santa Cruz, interesting thing but also a bit odd looking but could grow on you over time. You could always go the keep truck route too.
    Oh, I forgot about the Sierras….they are great I hear

that’s about all I can think of

11. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I have a '21 AT4 from GMC. I didn't want a bunch of chrome but I did want the HP so this was my choice. Prices are crazy now but you can find good deals. Flying to St Louis and getting one from Laura GMC is a smart route. They have really good prices. I had the 2019 denali and it was also nice but too much shiny chrome for my tastes. The newer denalis look much better.

Kevooooo likes this.
  12. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I’ll look into the Denali. Interesting to hear it rides smoother and has nicer interior.

I’m not in a rush to buy.

13. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

…have you looked into Toyotas? It sounds like you need a Toyota.

[​IMG]

14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I’m a GM guy personally, but the eco boost fords are nice. I just bought the wife a midnight edition limited expedition, love the features and they’re similar to the platinum f150.
    I own 2 Denali gmcs, a half ton and 3/4 ton.
    One is my daily driver and the other is for towing camper/boats.

I’ve towed with the wife’s expedition with no issues at all and have heard the f150 tow very nicely. I actually prefer the interior and options on the fords but have always enjoyed the reliability of the Chevy/GM power trains.
    Don’t think you can do wrong with either, but they’re expensive. No way of getting around it

Like others have said, Toyotas for midsize. I would own a Tundra over a dodge personally

davidio840 and Kevooooo like this.
  15. Exiled

Exiled Member

Less than a year ago I decided to take on a big DYI project to renovate a property with 5x8.5 utility trailer which served all my needs since 2016, aka 1.5 yard of gravel, full pallet of pavers etc, and since I'm doing it on my free time, things often stayed on the trailer for extended time, something I wouldn't be able to do with a truck

16. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Don't forget to lift your truck and get extra bright HIDs to blind everyone else on the road. We all appreciate it.

17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

OP: "Hey guys I need advice on pickups trucks, I love the F150 and these are my needs"

Friendly advice person: "This truck fits your needs best"

OP: "Hey fùck you, I said I love F150's"

Maybe you should get an F150?

ElPigto and Os Trigonum like this.
  18. Salvy

Salvy Member

From my experience, if you really want an F150 I think you should most definitely look into getting a Toyota Tacoma.

BamBam, ElPigto and Xerobull like this.
  19. Nook

Nook Member

Not anymore - in the past yeah but they aren’t as good as they used to be. I was talked out of getting one about a year ago by several car engineer friends… who were traditionally fans of the Tacoma and Tundra.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  20. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why not be a real man and get the f250? It’s 100 better, if my math is correct

I’ve heard great things about the canyonero too