1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Physiotherapy] Any real difference in quality?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Ehsan, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

I had knee surgery a couple of weeks ago... Slight meniscus tear, slight mcl tear, a two hairline fractures.. I'm very worried about my recovery so I'm gathering as much information as humanly possible..

Now, I went for a physiotherapy session today... The physiotherapist is apparently the best in the country because lots of high-profile patients go there, etc etc, and I can get a small discount on the expensive fees because I know someone who works there..

However, I can get physiotherapy for free under the healthcare system here.. I'm unsure about it, but it would save me a lot of money, which I'm a bit short of at the moment... Apparently, they have the best of all the equipment needed, which indicates to me that they give a damn... I don't know that its bad, I just dont know that its good...

Questions to those who can help:

1) Is there any major difference in the quality of physiotherapists?

2) I get the feeling everyone has pretty much the same equipment.. Is that something to consider?

3) Anythign else I should consider?

Thanks in advance..

2. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

I had a pretty huge fracture on the side of my femur and I went to a really small place in Houston, as opposed to some of the larger, more well renowned places.

It really didn't seem to make that much of a difference at all. Especially since mine was so severe that there really wasn't any "equipment" that I really could use. It was just really basic stuff to get my mobility back. And most places seemed to generally have the same stuff anyway. Most of that "equipment" is overrated anyway. A smart physical therapist is much more important than having the latest equipment.

Sounds like the same would apply to you. Once you start getting into bone fracture territory, there isn't much you can do until the bone actually heals because the knee can't sustain any pressure. Hence machines are really out of the question until you're walking again. So you'll basically be doing straight leg raises, working on bending your knee so you can work through the scar tissue, etc.. Those all require competent physical therapists, more than good equipment.

3. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

My fractures are healed though, I was in a cast for 2-3 weeks. Basically I want to strengthen the ligament (MCL) and get back my full range of motion.

So your'e saying the only way to regain range of motion is through leg exercises that don't require equipment?