1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Photographers] Shooting tethered capture with an iPad?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Nero, Feb 7, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Nero

Nero Member

Hey folks,

I know there are a good handful of pretty serious photographers on the board, and I was wondering if any of you had ever found a way to shoot with tethered capture on an iPad? I would dearly love to be able to have the photos pop up live on screen while I am shooting, and I am not even necessarily talking about wireless. I know there is that eye-fi thing, but the general agreement is that it sucks/doesn't work well, and maybe a few other options out there.

So, any of you camera-heads ever manage to figure a way to shoot with a live view on an iPad?

Thx

2. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

As far as I know it isn't really possible with iPad due to their proprietary dongle technology they use to make you buy $30 accessories.

3. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

You could possibly be tethered to a laptop, then Remote Desktop'd from the laptop to the iPad. :eek:

Other than that, I think you're limited to just uplaoding somehow to a site or iPad via a Wi-Fi spot.

There is also Canon CameraWindow, but that's only for compact digital cameras:
    https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/canon-camerawindow/id501009725?mt=8

What model camera are you talking about?

4. Nero

Nero Member

I am currently using an Oly PM1, no, no Nikon or Canon for me, I like the micro 4/3 camera, it's small but still full featured like any DSLR. And Lightroom and Adobe Camera Raw finally have the model supported, so I can get the raw images into Lightroom just fine.

But I saw some examples of people shooting live in the computer screen using computer and Lightroom, and then I got curious about the new iPad, since it is such a great hi-res screen, and would be perfect for seeing a real-time image as I am shooting.

Something tells me this is going to be one of those Holy grail type of things.. makes total sense for it to be available and easy to do, but there doesn't seem to be any way to do it, or maybe for some stupid reason Apple and the camera makers don't want to put their heads together and come up with some drivers and some apps.

Sigh.

5. Svpernaut

You could easily do it with a Surface Pro, which launches tomorrow... or any Windows 8 Pro tablet for that matter. However, the Surface pro has the best screen of any tablet on the market. The iPad Retina has more pixels, but the Surface Pro has better viewing angles and a bonded screen (ClearType HD) that makes pixels a non-issue.

6. Nero

Nero Member

I was wondering about that.. Is that something the Microsoft tablet is going to be able to do, for sure? Is that something which has already been demo'd? That would be an alternative for sure.

7. Svpernaut

It has a standard USB3 port, go nuts with camera accessories.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uEnLcyZzd5c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

I know you didn't like the reviews, but the eyefi thing looks promising now that they don't require jailbreaking to get the app for the local network between ipad and camera.... can't vouch for it though.

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/29632854?title=0&amp;byline=0&amp;portrait=0" width="400" height="300" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

#8 CrazyDave, Feb 8, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  9. Svpernaut

The problem is the data-throughput with wireless. USB3 is 5gbps, which makes transferring enormous RAW files a non-issue.

Also, Eye-Fi utilizes your iPad's WiFi, so if you want to capture and upload quickly you have to disconnected from the Eye-Fi, connect back to your WiFi and then upload. Obviously if you have a 4G integrated iPad this isn't an issue.

Tech blogs what do keynote/announcement live blogging go the tethered route as an example.

10. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member