1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Phone help

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rimrocker, Jun 25, 2013.

1. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Just got permission to replace my work BBerry with either an iPhone 5 16GB or a Galaxy S4 16 GB. I never thought we'd get here, so I am not up to speed on the comparisons between the two. Since I have slightly different needs than most and the online reviews don't really answer some of my questions, I thought I would query you folks:

Which is tougher? Not just drops and scratches, but dust and dirt and heat and cold and sunlight? My phone will not be in climate-controlled conditions all the time and will need to work in temps from 10-120 degrees and dust is a huge deal.

Battery life? When I really need a phone, I need it for 16 hours a day. Taking time to charge is always a hassle, but taking time for two or more charges would be an even greater hassle.

Reliability and ease of use under stress: is one easier/quicker to use when time is of the essence? Is there one that is better at not freezing up or restarting at critical times?

I know call quality will be directly related to the underlying network, but is one clearer/louder than the other in terms of hearing or speakerphone?

Thanks.

2. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

I think for both of those issues you may be better off getting 3rd party accessories for whichever phone you get.

From what I hear Otterbox cases are supposed to be really rugged. There may be better ones out there, I haven't done any research on them.

And you can get external battery packs for both so you don't have to find an outlet to charge it.

1 person likes this.
  3. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

My suggest is the iphone. Made from aluminum and plastic, get a quality case and your phone will be as durable a a large glass screen can be.

Better battery life and Def doesn't lag as much as Android (Compared to the Galaxy S 4g that I had prior. Lag may not even be a issue now on Android)

1 person likes this.
  4. platypus

platypus Member

I would recommend the S4 if those are your only two options. Android is way better now that what it used to be and the experience is on par (regarding smoothness) with the Iphone.

If you have more choices though and want a phone with crazy good battery life look into a Note 2, the battery on it is crazy. It literally lasts a few days without charge and can easily last 16 hours with heavy usage. The only drawback is the screen, some people do not like how big it is.

5. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I'm an android user...but for your purposes, the iPhone seems to be the safe bet.

1 person likes this.
  6. Tfj4

Tfj4 Member

If you're on AT&T check out the S4 Active, waterproof and a removable battery, sounds like it would fit your needs perfectly.

7. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

people still use blackberries?

what is this 2002?

8. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

S4 has a better battery life.

9. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Some corporations still use BES instead of Exchange Active-sync.

10. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

This.

11. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Out of those two phones which one has better resale value for the Verizon version?

12. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Yes, those are my only two options to replace my current BBerry Curve. And I will definitely get a rugged case for whatever I pick.