1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Phoenix Medical Staff. Question.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by el_locoteee, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Houston22

Houston22 Member

hahaha, I like this one

2. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

He played most of his games in miama the year he was traded. And also their doctors said Tmac's knee was fine as well so your point is mute.

3. 2deep

2deep Contributing Member

If most is 69% (33 out of 48) then yes...I wouldn't consider it that.

There were alot of issues leading up to this TMac knee problem, namely his back troubles for a couple of years there. I'm no expert but I think to say the back problem and knee problem are completely unrelated would be foolish. Having your core out of line severely increases the stress on your knee's and I'm sure that played a relatively large role in wearing down the cartilage in his knee's. Fixing that back issue much earlier would've possibly added another year or two to his knee which was shot.

Now, for my point being "mute" or moot, it is not, they've nearly eliminated Nash's well documented back trouble so thinking they could do the same for TMac is not a stretch of the imagination.

4. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

Uhm yes 69% equals most. And do you realize how many doctors Tmac has seen while he has been with the Rockets? People act like Tmac has only seen our doctors. He has seen many around the country especially during is back spasm years. Also the whole issue of his knee being related to his back is only a guess bc many players before him have had the same surgery without any back issues.

5. 2deep

Haha that's essentially missing 1 out of every 3 games...on pace to miss 26 games for the season...but whatever, to each...his own definition of most.

I think we're at a little misunderstanding about my praise of Phoenix's trainers, I'm not downing our medical staff at all, I think they've done an adequate job. I just feel that working with the PHX staff on a day to day basis and following their philosophy on rehab rather than trying to fix the "problem" would've been beneficial. A direct quote from the article I linked to earlier from Suns head trainer Aaron Nelson:

"It’s all in the name of balance, to make the body work as it was designed and eliminate overcompensation.”

Years of overcompensation is what I feel led to Tracy's knee issues. You are correct in saying that many others have had the surgery without back issues but the common tie is their cartilage damage (tear, or worn down). Many players have one incident that tears the cartilage (Amare, Oden), while others have years of grinding (Kidd, Stockton) TMac falls into the second category because this wasn't brought on by one incident obviously but years of his knee carrying the extra load while his back was whack.

Maybe we'll just have to agree to disagree, I think the whole situation could have possibly been avoided by eliminating the back troubles sooner which I think the PHX staff could've done rather than going to a witch doctor like TMac resorted to. The issue was not with diagnosing the back problem or "fixing it", you can't just duct tape something back together and say it's fixed because it's functional. The training and rehab techniques have to be implemented and completed to eliminate the source of the problem and ensure that it causes no further damage.

6. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

^ You take some quotes from their medical staff and that means something? Everything your saying is all speculation, none of us know anything about Tmac's body. I can tell you what I do know, NBA doctors expected Tmac to play 4 years and he was born with a minor case of scoliosis. And Yao is 7'6 315 lbs, no one his height and size has had a career like him.

7. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Then again, you're no expert.

8. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

lol ;)
    But seriously it is possible although other players who had this surgery never really had problems with their back. So there is no point in speculating something we don't know.

9. 2deep

So are you speculating Yao's career is because of our medical staff? God forbid we speculate on a NBA BBS where we are all privileged to loads of inside information :rolleyes:

Just my thoughts on the issue being an exercise sports science major. Not that what I say holds any more water than your opinion, that's just what it is though, an opinion. I can't prove I'm right and you certainly can't, in fact I'm not really sure what your point or opinion is besides trying to discredit mine.

I think the PHX staff with their philosophy on doing things (hence the quote) and prior successes with back and knee issues (Nash and Shaq who they diagnosed with his hips being out of line thus causing his knee pains) would've been a better fit for Tracy and his various ailments.

Yao hasn't had any wear and tear issues as of yet, besides the stress fracture from last season but with his size that really can't easily be avoided, so they probably would've made little to no difference in his health. But I would trust the PHX staff to catch and diagnose an issue quicker should one ever arise just from prior events.

10. 2deep

I know Tmac has had back issues (which he "resolved" by going to a chiropractor) and I know he had microfracture surgery because he lacked cartilage in his knee.

If I had a boat and it sank and I knew that I had repaired a hole in it two years earlier by covering the spot with packing tape is it illogical to think that hole might've lead to the boat sinking?

11. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

- i dont think they did anything to nash's back that any other team couldnt have done. Nash has said it's never going to go away and he's always going to have flare ups here and there, the important thing was to calm then when it happend. So really all they are doing is being extra cautious when he has issues, like sitting him down 5 games until he's 100%, rather than sitting him down 2-3 games and letting him come back just because his back isn't hurting that bad. Part of the reason Phoenix can afford to do this is because they have a lot of talent and although Nash is a big piece to their success, they have shown the ability to still win games with him out.

- As for Tmac's back/knee. i agree that its probably related. I'm having issues myself with my alignment and knee. My abdominals are stronger on one side than the other due to everyday things that make me rotate my waist mostly to one side, therefore creating the muscle imbalance. This leads to my hip/ab muscles on one side being "tighter" so it pulls that leg in more. So this is causing my other leg to be misaligned. This has been going on for years, but i didn't start to see issues until i started running seriously again, like several miles a week, as oppose to playing ball here and there, etc. So now I've have IT band syndrome, shin splints (which i had never had in my life), knee joint irritation, all on that leg. I also have weaker quads, but tighter hamstrings, so all kind of issues.

However, mine is getting better now that i'm doing some exercises to get the muscles balanced. Tmac however, has scoliosis, and although the witch doc tuned him up, he never cured the scoliosis, and it wont ever be cured unless he wants to surgically straighten his back, which would surely end his career. So he's always going to be misaligned to a certain degree. I can't say for sure this wore out his cartilage, BUT i do think it affected his rehab. Let's use my problem as an example. If i were to let's say, tear my acl on my problem leg. Then when doing the rehab i'd be having ro rehab a leg that already has a problem, so i wouldnt be able to rehab it properly because i'd be doing all the rehab exercises incorrectly due to my misalignment. That's what i think happened to Tmac's rehab, and eventually it got to him mentally.

12. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

A good NBA doctor will clear a player to play no matter what... that's what ours did despite the fact that a nurse could have told you that it was a bad idea. No, really, go ask a nurse...

13. Crab_Dribble

Crab_Dribble Member

It was fine - McGrady is just a loser and after much searching finally found a doctor who would perform the operation he wanted just so he could sit out.

14. Im Just Sayin

Im Just Sayin Member

That what happens when you come into the season fit and in shape. Your body holds up better.

Shaq had a history of coming into seasons overweight and not in shape. And Nash still has those back problems he had in Dallas. Mark Cuban didn't want to risk it and didn't give him a deal. That still doesn't mean he wasn't playing at a high level which he was still doing.

No its all nonsense to me

15. Crab_Dribble

Crab_Dribble Member

His loser ignorant trainer, Wayne Hall, who was only his trainer because he metaphorically sucked his ****, is the real problem. Good advice is useless in Me-Mac's World if it doesn't stroke his ego and let him out of all responsibility at the same time.

16. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i'm not blaming it all on his scoliosis, i do think he didn't give it 100% and I've been saying for years that his trainer is horrible, but my point is that his condition caused him to give even less effort.

17. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Wouldn't it be good if we reduced cut our injury treatments in half? What's so bad about getting additional training? The training costs extra money,.

However, Les would recoup the money and more, if he could cut injury treatments in half.

http://www.ptsacademy.co.uk/nasm_3d.php

18. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

another thing to consider is the run n gun style of the suns. Although they sprint more, they cut down on the wear and tear of stoping and going, posting up, battling for position, etc. Players have said this themselves. When did D'antoni become coach? at the end of the 2002-03 season, coincidence? Maybe, maybe not.

19. worzel gummidge

Shaq's foot problems occur coincidentally whenever he has issues with coaching or the front office...

20. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

oh yeah, and their practices are very short, well at least scrimmages, not sure if they still do it, but D'antoni never ran them hard in practice to keep the fresh to run in games. So that's less opportunity for injury during practice, and they aren't worn out or tired for games and therefore more likely to get injured. All that also adds to injury prevention.