1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pho

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Buck Turgidson, Dec 2, 2016.

1. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Coincidentally, my weekend travels have brought me close to a place called Pho Tran on Bellaire Blvd near Wilcrest. Should I give it a try? I've never had any of this stuff before.

Also there's a place called Pho Binh right across the street.

2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Why wouldnt you? Youve read all the positive posts about the dish on here.

3. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Idk, maybe there's better places to go in the area?

4. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Nope. No one else sells this mysterious broth dish near chinatown. Why do you think they opened their restaurant there? Exclusivity.

5. cur.ve

cur.ve Contributing Member

You can cheat with the broth by using a pressure cooker for an hour instead of simmering for 8 hours. Get some beef neck bones at the butcher. The fresher the bones, the better. Boil water. Dunk the bones to get all the crap out and wash the bones.

Then: For an 8 quart pressure cooker I toss in one onion, a large stick of ginger, anise, two spoons of palm sugar (sekret ingredient), one spoon of salt. Once the broth is done, I put it in the fridge overnight to skim the fat off. I also use a bit of mushroom seasoning and fish sauce to get the right taste when you heat it up before you add the fixings. Should taste about right as a base. You can experiment w cinammon and pepper and other spices on top but that's the basic.

Rashmon and Buck Turgidson like this.
  6. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Been wanting to try crawfish pho. There's a couple of places in the Austin area that offer it but the reviews are so-so.

7. Jontro

Jontro Member

food pr0n agaainnnn..!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

heypartner and RedRedemption like this.
  8. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Where can I find Houston's best Bun Bo Hue?

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

With the nice cold days coming up here in the DFW area next week, I do believe it's time fo pho.

10. Buck Turgidson

Oooooh, that's another good one I haven't had in a while.

11. PhiSlammaJamma

I add radish slices in place of any sugar, and reduce the salt when make with brisket, which is every time. Use the black friday instapot for the brisket and it comes out great. Commit one Texas crime by cutting the fat off the brisket. If don't have ginger will throw in the sushi ginger and it seems to do fine. On occasion replace the rice noodles with Udon for more uuumph as well.

12. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

This pretty much how my wife does it but she uses charred white onions instead of shallots. When serving, Top bowl with finely chopped cilantro and green onions. And have these condiments on the side ready: thinly sliced onions and jalapeƱos, washed bean sprouts and basil leaves, and lime wedges, hoisin and sriracha sauce

My favorite meats are brisket and flank. Other also like having raw sliced round eye beef and adding to the bowl with super hot broth

Wolverrines and Buck Turgidson like this.
  13. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

Check out Les Givral's in midtown. I guarantee you will not be disappointed. All bowls under 6 bucks and stacked to the rim.

Buck Turgidson and Jontro like this.
  14. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Those are like late 80s early 90s prices. You folks are lucky. Around Northern VA, DC, MD a Pho places charges about $8.95 for a small bowl.

15. Buck Turgidson

Their sammiches used to be cheap and good too.

16. Jontro

Jontro Member

wished i knew about this when i was in htwon. i'm no longer an htownian tho and the fuhs are hard to come by :(

i used to go to the old hong kong market and another one in belaire, i forgot where. they used to be like 5-6 bucks, but not too big of a bowl.

17. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I miss Houston Pho.

18. got em COACH

got em COACH Contributing Member

Google Bon Bo Hue Duc Chuong. There's 2 location. 1 on the north and 1 in the south side but if you guys are ever in the north. Stop by Banh Coun Hoa get yourself a , " Mi Quan". I'm vietnamese and my top 3 noodle soups are Mi Quan, Pho, and Bon bo hue

[​IMG]

Buck Turgidson and s land balla like this.
  19. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Huynh Restaurant in East Downtown is the best Pho i've had in Houston thus far.

20. Buck Turgidson

Have some food and a couple of drinks with your woman and parents or whoever, then smoke a joint and wander around the Mall. My old man and I used to make it a challenge: who could find the weirdest thing in this grocery store. He brought back canned insects and amateur stuff. I won with marinated bull pizzle from the butcher's market.