1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Philosophical Question: Would You Tank a Final?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Manny Ramirez, Dec 9, 2001.

1. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

As I sit here finishing up a review sheet for my Intro to Marketing class final, I wonder about this question.

You see I have 142 undergraduate credits already and this class along with an Intro to Accounting class are prerequisites to the MBA program that I'm in. To make things even worse, both of these classes have been correspondence courses - not the way that I would recommend, but then I had no other choice.

My GPA is around a 3.65 and to make things even sweeter, my company will reimburse me of all fees for this past semester as long as I make at least a C in these 2 classes.

Now, I don't even have to take the final in Marketing and I would still get a C. I think that I would have to make around a 40 to get a B. As for Accounting, I think that I would have to make like a 20 to get a C. I will still wind up spending time to study for these 2 finals (why else would I still be up?) but I am having a hard time getting motivated to really study. I guess that I will probably give a half-assed performance, but even making 2 C's will only drop my GPA to a 3.59.

Sometimes, I wonder if I did the right thing by going back to school, but one day it will be worth it. I just don't know if it is worth it to bust my ass about these 2 finals.

Is this something that other people have grappled with?

2. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

Yes.

Study as much as you can, without spraining a brain ligament, and try to make a couple of Bs (at least). Cs suck!

You will feel better about it when it's all said and done if you at least have those Bs.

3. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

Sometimes I wish I was better at tanking like that but even when I know I need a super low grade I still study almost the same amount. Of course it's a b**** to get motivated which means I'm usually up late trying to squeeze it in. I will say though this semester I have improved greatly in the area of slacking. Typing answers into God's gift to students (TI graphing calculators) makes it easier also.

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Who do you work for, out of curiousity?

5. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

I had a similar situation in an economics class. The prof told us at the beginning of the semester that our gradewould consists of three tests: two regular tests and a final. In addition, he said that we could do a class presentation for a grade, and that this grade could be substituted for the lowest of our three test grades.

Naturally, I saw the loophole in this setup. I made an A on the first test, did a presentation on sales tactics in a grocery store (and received an A for it), then made an A on the second test. I quit going to class after that, and only showed up for the final.

I made a 60 something on the final, and substituted my presentation grade for that score. Needless to say, the prof was really pissed that I took advantage of his system, but he had no choice but to give me an A for the class.

I later heard that he quit allowing the final grade to be substituted. I just want to say I'm sorry to all those who followed me in that class. :)

6. Manny Ramirez

Not to be rude or anything like that, I am afraid that I can't divulge that type of information.

I think I know why you are asking this. However if you get more specific on why you want to know this, I might be able to tell you a little bit more.

7. DrewP

DrewP Contributing Member

It's obvious, he's working for the goverment. Which goverment? We may never know....... I will try a more "specific" question. Does the country begin with "United States..."? :D

8. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

speaking of motivation etc............... i'm in my senior year of hs........ i've already been accepted into 3 colleges, and my other 5 applications go out in the next two weeks.. 8 colleges appliactions yes i know i'm crazy but oh well...... the 3 i've been accepted in are kinda backup schools and i hope to get into one of the others....... but anyways someone give me some motivation to work hard next semester since my applications ec wil be already done.........

9. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

Well if any of the classes are AP classes then at least try to stay awake so you can do good on the AP test but other than that, since grades don't count, I would stop trying, tank anything not required for graduation, and under no circumstances should you do your homework at night (that's what the next day during school is for). Oh and make sure you enjoy a semester w/o grades b/c it's as good as it will ever get schoolwise. ENJOY IT!!! DON'T GET MOTIVATED!!! I'm sure glad I wasn't.

Is that what you wanted to hear?

note: my classes were AP so I had to semi-try but I stayed as unmotivated as possible and am always thankful I took advantage of the opportunity.

10. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Manny-
    I had several classes like that in undergrad where going into the final I looked at my scores and figured i needed a 98 or above to get an A or above a 60 to get a B. NAturally at that point I used my resouces (study time) to my advantage and worked in the other classes where it would make a difference.
    I had to take a couple of classes as well when I began my MBA (stats and finance).

11. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

If Manny told you where he worked, he'd have to kill you...

Well, it's obvious that he is an interrogator for the CIA...Of course, he tells everybody that he owns a rare flower shop, so his cover doesn't get blown...

Manny, you Fokker! tell us what you do! :D

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I'm just curious as to what kind of deal you have set-up, with whom, what line of business it is, etc, etc

I'm graduating from B-school in two weeks with a BSE and you never know who'll you meet.

13. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

franic 4 prez......... lol ...... same here.. i'm taking ap calculus, ap english, ap biology, and probably economics ap unless i get lazy and decide just to take advanced level but not ap.. so basically all my classes are ap except computer science because i'm just in the first year course........ and since i'd like to keep my class rank in the top 5% i guess i should keep working........ dang senioritis lol..... i'm starting to wonder if those people who are taking nothing ap and no math etc this year may have done the right thing lol..

14. Manny Ramirez

LMAO! No, it's not a male nurse, A-Train.

I am not going to lie and make something up, but this is a decision that I feel should be kept private. So, no offense to anyone here, but I respectfully decline to divulge this info.

However, it is funny to read what some of you might think it is (And Meet the Parents was a great movie).

JayZ750:

I sent you an email. Hopefully, it will answer the majority of the questions from your second post.

15. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

:rolleyes:

16. gettinbranded

gettinbranded Member

It's obvious. He's a masseuse in a kimono bar. :)

17. Manny Ramirez

Gee, I didn't know that it was a requirement for me to tell people what I do for a living and where I work at.

Obviously, the fact that I want to keep this private displeases you to great end. So much that you felt "compelled" to do a damn smilie post of rolleyes. That post (if you want to call it that) that I quoted really serves no useful purpose.

I don't understand why you or anyone else would have a problem with this. I'm not asking other BBS members what they do, and if they refuse to tell me do a :rolleyes: post.

Seriously, if you have a problem with me wanting to keep something like that private, why don't you email me off-line and we can discuss it further and not waste bandwidth on the BBS?

18. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

Manny Ramirez (the poster) = Fred Garvin

<FONT SIZE="1">Manny, you're decision to complain about fadeaway complaining (to an extent) about you not "divulging" where you work, gives him the precedence to complain... </FONT>

19. Hydra

Hydra Member

Manny,

You mean you aren't the Red Sox player. :eek: I feel as if I have been lied to :( Is anything as it seems :confused: Oh well, at least we know Nomar is the real deal, right? :D