1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Philly Eagles at Dallas Cowboys

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Kam, Dec 16, 2007.

1. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Exactly, I am glad to see people looking at this realistically. I mean in a world where personal stats and accolades seem like everything to these players, you have a guy like Westbrook sacrifice that and more to seal something even more important, a victory.

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Yeah I could see a College player doing that to preserve a win, but to see an NFL RB who is paid by performance make such a smart and sacrificial decision is a credit to his personality and his commitment to playing as a team instead of an individual who needs to "Get His" (Cough Cough TO).

Polar Opposites there. The league needs more Westbrooks and fewer Me-Os.

3. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I guess I don't understand why Philly would be worried with a 17-6 lead with a minute to play. I think he should have just scored. Are they that concerned that the Cowboys could come back from that? Let's be realistic. No team would have come back from that...not even the Pats.

4. tulexan

tulexan Member

Clearly you didn't watch the Texans - Rams game in 2005.

5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

You saw what Dallas did against Buffalo and Detroit.

2 score game with 2 minutes left. Romo came out and shredded the Lions last week when it mattered. Then they are an onside kick away from marching right down the field again and possibly tying the game. This is the NFL... you do not risk giving the other team even a glimmer of hope when you can put them away for good.

6. Lil Pun

The Cowboys offense has been stellar all year. If Westbrook scores, they could have a big return on the kickoff and the two minute warning to stop the clock after the first play, Westbrook went down BEFORE the two minute warning. A few big plays down field and then a score plus a successful onside kick equals the Cowboys being right in the game again.

7. Surfguy

Okay...I thought there was only a minute left. Regardless, we wouldn't have come back because Romo couldn't hit the broad side of a barn the entire game.

8. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

Cowboys still got a first round bye and they're still in first place :cool:

9. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

22.2 QB Rating? :eek:

They might have been better with Jessica throwing the ball.

10. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

F'n Romo and F'n cowboys...They had no business losing this game...It's not because of Jessica's twins, it's because they were un prepared, especially Romo...Maybe he is injured or something because he couldn't hit *****...

If they don't get their crap together, they could totally lose the next two...

11. Surfguy

Don't be so sure about the twins part. Maybe it was the pink #9 Romo shirt Jessica was wearing made Romo play like a Homo?

12. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Well, if he's tapping that, he ain't no Homo... :D

13. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

That performance by the Cowboys pushed my into the championship game in my fantasy league, and guarantees me at least around $800. The guy I was playing against this week is a huge Cowboys fan and had 5 of their players on his roster. I smacked him 147-74. Any fan of the Cowboys deserves to be embarrassed.

14. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Lil Pun, Westbrook showed what a player he is, and the team showed the character as well. I don't remember seeing another player do that--it showed how much he and his team wanted to win.

Don't know what it is with the Boys. Last week the defense takes the game off, this week the offense does (and Romo was Buffalo horrible). Intensity is just not there, despite the Boys being as healthy as they have been all season.

Overall I am not sure the loss is such a bad thing. Maybe get the Cowboys back to work. Still have a bye in the bag (rest), so having to step back on the pedal with something at stake the next two weeks might not be a bad thing. If we can't beat Car and Was (even on the road), not a good sign for being in form to challenge for the Lombardi.

Finally, Terry Glenn, keep that recovery coming, I want an extra pair of sure hands and a clean route runner for the playoffs.

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I still can't believe that actually happened.

I hope neither the Pats nor Cowboys reach the Super Bowl. I want both teams to lose at home in the playoffs.

16. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

well I agree he is not a *** like Aikman but he is a huge douch with that little smirk on his face.

they will choke like dogs in the playoffs and TO will cry like the little b**** he is, haha.

On a side note we were at a bar yesterday watching football and there was one cowboys fan there and he was getting hazed so bad. As he walked out "na na na na, na na na na, hey hey hey good bye" and "cowboys suck, Romo swallows"

17. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

As much as I dislike the Cowboys I really don't hate Romo that much. I've heard him in some interviews and he certainly commands some respect. I wouldn't mind having a QB like him on my team. He puts it on the line for the good of the team at least.

18. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

Sounds like Westbrook got some convincing before the play!

He still deserves props for actually executing it, though.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/20071217_Big_Bird_told_Westbrook_to_avoid_scoring.html

Big Bird told Westbrook to avoid scoring
    By RICH HOFMANN
    Philadelphia Daily News

hofmanr@phillynews.com

IRVING, Texas - Just when you thought you had seen everything Brian Westbrook could do on a football field, he did something else amazing yesterday. He stopped.

With 2 minutes, 19 seconds left and the Eagles leading the Dallas Cowboys by 10-6, the eventual final score, the ball was snapped at the Dallas 25-yard line and it was handed to Westbrook and he went off right tackle and broke into the secondary.

He was free. He was clear. He was going to score the touchdown that put the Eagles up 11 points with about 2:10 remaining.

And then he stopped.

On the 1-yard line.

It was a selfless act with a strategic purpose. Dallas was out of timeouts. After the 2-minute warning, all the Eagles would have to do was kneel three times and the game would be theirs. You can debate the strategy - who could possibly calculate the odds of botching three kneel-downs and giving up a score vs. the odds of blowing an 11-point lead with 2 minutes to play? - but you cannot debate that Westbrook gave up a touchdown there and did it as an act of unselfishness.

What we found out later was that he had a little help in the decision-making from right tackle Jon Runyan.

"I just want to help this team win - and I got a stern talking-to by Jon Runyan right before that play," Westbrook said.

"He said, 'Listen, if you get down to the 1, take a knee.' I was like, 'Ahhh . . . ' He said, 'Take a knee, Westbrook, take a knee.' "

Then, during the play, Westbrook said: "I looked back and I saw all 6-7 or 6-8 of him running toward me saying, 'Get down.' So I got down . . . Runyan, he's our offensive leader out there. He's a coach. So he helped me out a little bit there."

19. Lil Pun

Can somebody explain to me the NFC playoff scenario? I thought the Eagles were eliminated from playoff contention.

20. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

If the Vikings beat the Bears tonight they are pretty much ****ed.
    They would have to finish 8-8 at this point and hope that at least 6 of the other 8 teams in contention finish 7-9. Which is probably impossible given the remaining schedule.