1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Philip Rivers: What happened?

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by BetterThanI, Jan 17, 2013.

1. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

For several years, Rivers seemed well on his way to being an elite QB. Suddenly, after 2010, he's a scrub. Is it bad decision making? Declining arm strength? Is it just beause he's a total douche and defenses want to hit him more? What gives? And would a change of scenery remedy any of this?

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://widgets.sports-reference.com/wg.fcgi?css=1&site=pfr&url=%2Fplayers%2FR%2FRivePh00.htm&div=div_passing"></script>

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RivePh00.htm#passing::none

2. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

It could be that his game actually never existed and was an elaborate hoax.

1 person likes this.
  3. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

They have lost a lot of offensive talent on his squad. I'm sure he'd look great again with a healthy gates, young sproles, jackson, and tomlinson.

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

5. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Wonder how people in SD feel about letting Brees go.

6. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

The Oline was horrible this year.
    Meachem (offseason acquisition) is a scrub.
    Ryan Matthews injured....again.

7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Not that I follow football stats that much, but why did his ESPN QBR go down so much this past year? the yardage numbers went down, but he seemed to be more efficient - higher completion %, pretty much same number of touchdowns but 25% fewer interceptions, etc.

8. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

I don't watch much Rivers, but when I do, it's always the biggest meltdowns that are hilarious to watch. Two MNF's, the Denver game where he blew a 20+ lead in the 2nd, and against KC where he turned it over on a bad snap kneel.

My understanding is that his bad throwing mechanics are catching up with his age. He had the rib thing in 2011 and no left tackle this year.

9. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

10. jdh008

jdh008 Member

This was my immediate thought. A ton of offensive talent has come and gone in his time there. With that talent, he appeared to be just a cut below those elite guys in the league. Without them, he's just alright. I wouldn't so as far as the OP did in calling him a scrub. His interception numbers are ugly, but I think that's just because they've been asking too much of him without those weapons around him. He can still go out and win you a game and his numbers aren't bad in general.

11. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Horrible O-line.

12. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

bad coach, bad o line, no healthy running game, no big WR threat after Vincent left

13. Chamillionaire

this was expected. he never imo was an elite qb and will never go to or win a superbowl.

14. rocketsfeeva

rocketsfeeva Member

King Koopa speaks da truth.

15. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Rivers got sacked more, sacks get penalized in QBR

If Rivers gets the same numbers, but gets most his numbers in the 1st half of games instead of the 2nd half, those numbers are weighed LESS.

Used to think QBR was a neat measure, but has its flaws. Lots of other undisclosed metrics ESPN uses, only they would know...

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

he's an arrogant SOB who is probably two prideful to adjust as the game changes and he gets older. and he isn't even that old

17. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Can't argue with your first point, but I can't think of any QB capable of changing their throwing style at this stage in their career. If that really is the root of his problem.

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Definitely not one of my favorite players. Whatever has gone wrong the last 2 years, I won't be hurt if it continues.

19. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

Mark Sanchez is a scrub; Rivers is a hardly a scrub. He just needs more help. He lost a lot of offensive talent since his first few years.

20. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

Pocket passer who lost his pro bowl caliber left tackle and guard to career ending injuries. The loss of receiving talent probably doesn't help, but he had one of his best years with a bunch of spare parts at receiver a couple years ago.