1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Philadelphia Daily News] JVG knows how Rudy T. feels

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by v3.0, Feb 3, 2005.

1. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/sports/10803517.htm

Posted on Thu, Feb. 03, 2005

He knows how Rudy T. feels

Stress got the better of Van Gundy when he coached Knicks

By PHIL JASNER

jasnerp@phillynews.com

Jeff Van Gundy was sitting on the New York Knicks' charter flight, coming back from Milwaukee. He should have been reveling in a 14-point victory over the Milwaukee Bucks, his team's fifth victory in its last six games. But the Knicks coach was restless, uncomfortable. He couldn't bring himself to celebrate, to feel really good.

This was December 2001. The Knicks were 10-9. Van Gundy had taken them to the NBA playoffs in each of his first six seasons. In 1999, he had taken a No. 8 Eastern Conference seed to the Finals, losing to the Houston Rockets. But the closer the charter flight got to New York, the more Van Gundy knew what he was going to do.

He resigned.

All of that came up last night in the wake of Rudy Tomjanovich's resignation as coach of the Los Angeles Lakers. Tomjanovich had left his beloved Rockets after being diagnosed with bladder cancer. His replacement in 2003 had been Van Gundy. Yesterday, Tomjanovich cited stress as a major factor in his decision. Before the Rockets hammered the 76ers, 118-95, last night, Van Gundy said he knew the feeling. In 2001, he had said he had "lost focus."

"I give him a lot of credit for following his heart, doing what he felt was right, for himself and his health," Van Gundy said. "I don't think Rudy's thoughts are far from most coaches, a lot of coaches' minds, mine included as far as, 'Is it worth it?' But everybody has to do it his own way. What I applaud is his courage to do it his way, not getting worried about what's going to be talked about, reflected on, any of that. It takes courage to do what you feel is right in your heart. Man's greatest right is the right to change his mind."

In retrospect, Van Gundy has regretted not being more definitive in his situation with the Knicks. He had known in the summer before the season that it was time for him to move on. He believed that ownership felt the same way. But he had resolutely started the season.

"I wanted to stick it out, and yet I still have a tinge of regret - not that I left, but when I left," he said. "In hindsight, I wish I would have fought through the last 63 games. I don't know if I would have made it."

Tomjanovich, 56, walked away despite being in the first year of a 5-year $30 million contract. But whatever finally pushed him to yesterday's decision, Van Gundy was certain that money was not a primary issue.

"I always hear. 'For X amount of dollars, I could do...' " he said. "It's always struck me as odd that people would think that your level of happiness would be tied into [money]. This whole notion that money makes up for whatever stress there is in anyone's job is not true... My father coached 40 years at all different levels, mostly in Division III and junior college. His stress was no different than mine, or when I coached in high school."

Van Gundy heard Tomjanovich's words, that losing had made him more miserable than ever, that the celebrations of victories had become less and less. He nodded in total agreement.

And yet...

"Here I am," Van Gundy said, a thin smile creeping across his face.

He had spent an enjoyable season as a Turner Broadcasting analyst. When a reporter asked why he came back to coach, he allowed himself another smile, but only for a moment.

"It was a much more difficult decision than anyone would know," Van Gundy said. "It's not because I was average - maybe [as an analyst] - but it was wholly enjoyable, sitting over there for an hour, throw out a few opinions, 'Where are we eating?' 'What time is the matinee?' I was, many times, the only person in the movie."

But he's back. Is he happy?

"Everybody always asks you about happiness in coaching," he said. "I would never use that word. It's often frustrating, sometimes exhilarating. It's all different parts, but 'fun' would never be the word I would say. The competitive nature of it, you can't find anywhere else."

Earlier, Van Gundy had said of Tomjanovich: "Once he's back to where he feels good, the Rockets need to bring him home, bring him back to work in Houston. Once he's ready, the guy means a lot to the organization and the city. He gave the lion's share of his professional life to the Rockets. Once he's ready, whether that's right now or down the road, it's time for him to come home."

And then Van Gundy was told that Tomjanovich had said he would scout for the Lakers for 2 more years. Van Gundy wanted to retract his statement, saying he had spoken "out of turn."

But he hadn't. Nobody knows better than he how hard it can be to say goodbye.

2. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/10803394.htm

Posted on Thu, Feb. 03, 2005

Sixers Notes | O'Brien, Rockets' Van Gundy backing Tomjanovich's choice

By Joe Juliano

Inquirer Staff Writer

The two members of the NBA head coaching fraternity involved in last night's game between the 76ers and the Houston Rockets expressed respect and admiration for Rudy Tomjanovich's decision to resign as head coach of the Los Angeles Lakers for health reasons.

"It's a tough business," Sixers coach Jim O'Brien said. "I respect somebody like Rudy and Hubie [Brown] when they decide that they just don't want to do it anymore. It's a tough call.

"Rudy always approached it with a great deal of intensity and enthusiasm, and you have to respect a man's understanding of who he is and what he can take and what he can't take."

The matter hit a little closer to home for Jeff Van Gundy, who succeeded Tomjanovich in June 2003 as head coach of the Rockets. Tomjanovich coached for 12 seasons in Houston, winning 503 games and leading the Rockets to the NBA championship in 1994 and 1995.

"I don't think Rudy's thoughts are far from a lot of coaches' minds - mine included - as far as, is it worth it?" Van Gundy said. "Everybody has to do it their own way. What I applaud is his courage to do it his way and not get worried about what's going to be talked about.

"It takes courage to do what you feel is right in your heart. Man's greatest right is the right to change his mind. He thought [the Lakers' job] would be a good situation for him and his family. I've always admired him, but the courage to step forward and do what's best for him right now, I think, is even more of a reason to admire him."

Tomjanovich, 56, resigned yesterday after leading the Lakers to a 24-19 record. He succeeded Phil Jackson in the off-season.

O'Brien said "long hours and a lot of travel" tend to make an NBA head coaching job stressful at times.

"It becomes increasingly more difficult if you can't let losses go, and if you can't enjoy wins at the appropriate level," he said. "It's just the wear and tear of all those factors."
    Contact staff writer Joe Juliano at 215-854-4494 or jjuliano@phillynews.com.

3. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

I completely forgot that championship.

4. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

yeah i forgot about that championship too. GO ROCKETS!!!! We got 3 rings! Geeze I forgot how great pippen, barkley and dream were together for that ring:rolleyes:

5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

yeah we had mario elie and tim duncan!
    ;)

6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

JVG, Rudy - two real people. I forget sometimes that coaches are real people, maybe because some are not.

7. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

JVG just moved up a notch in my book.

8. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

A sentiment rarely expressed in our society but completely and utterly true.

9. topfive

topfive CF OG

Sportscenter last night had some of the press conference footage, and one clip had Rudy talking about how he had this year started doing things and taking on responsibilities in a manner he'd never done before. He specifically mentioned that he'd started taking video home so he could break it down, rather than letting the assistant coaches do it. He talked about going out to eat after a victory and in the middle of dinner found himself already worrying about the next game. It had become a 24-hour-a-day nightmare for him, always worrying, always worrying.

Funny thing is, he had just described JVG to a T! Poor guy always seems a step away from complete burnout.

Best of luck to Rudy. Anyone who can walk away from that kind of scratch because he has more important priorities is a bigger man than I'll ever be.

10. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Does that put him at notch 1? ;)

11. RocketsFAN3035

hopefully this changes a lot of people's view (on JVG) on this board. JVG showed that he cared, and has a ton of respect for Rudy T when he said about having the Rox bring him back in some capacity. I've been one of the few JVG supporters, but, I definatly have a huge amount of respect for him as a person too.

12. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Based on JVG's comments - "come on back",and his reaction about the 2 years.Could it be that Rudy is already coming back to the Rockets?..and if so,in what capacity?

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think his "out of turn" thing was he was afraid of being accused of tampering.

14. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

'come see the softer side of Gundy'

15. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

LOL, actually yes. But that's a step in the right direction.

16. superden

superden Contributing Member

preach it brotha! too bad rudy t is still sticking with the lakers for 2 more yrs:mad:

17. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Do the math. Van Gundy is a workaholic with no charm. Rudy is a fan favorite who never takes tape home. Each one supplies what the other one lacks.

Come back, Rudy.

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

And if you could combine Yao's passive overthinking with Steve Francis' aggressive underthinking, you'd get 45 wins...

Kidding. :cool:

Anyway, I'd agree; since Rudy has decided that he's done with coaching, and is willing to accept just being a scout, why can't he come do it for us? (of course, we'd have to give him a talking to about 6-10 SF's who tear up the shooting drill)

19. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Did you miss the press conference? :confused: