1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Phil Taylor: Monster From Baylor

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ghettocheeze, Feb 26, 2011.

1. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Yeah folks you heard it here first. I'm going to make a splash and say the kid from Baylor will be wearing Battle Red next season. A 6-4 340 lbs beast of a nose tackle will not drop too far in this upcoming draft. Plus, the Texans are moving to a 3-4 and our starting nose tackle is not on the current roster. So, this is pretty much common sense for us at this point. Taylor has the size, strength, and motor to become an outstanding nose tackle at the pro level. Teams such as the Steelers, Jets, and Patriots are heavily scouting him to play in their 3-4 defenses.

Several mocks have him going in the top 10 while others project him in the second round. I think it is foolish to even consider that a player with his size and ability is going to slip beyond the first round knowing all the hawkish teams sitting near the latter part of the round. In the end, his draft journey will probably take a similar path to B.J. Raji's a few years ago, who was projected a mid to late first rounder on most mock boards, but then the Packers took him 9th overall and never looked back. That's why the Texans will have to make their move at #11 and take what will be considered the steal of the draft two years from now.

[​IMG]

Scouting Report

Here's a short highlight clip of Taylor against Oklahoma. He had several really dominant plays against the Sooners where he either stuffed the run or planted the QB. Again, this a 6-4 340 lbs nose tackle running around the field making plays. Notice his size and strength to eat up gaps and then the speed to pursue down the sidelines. This could your future starting nose tackle.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ezk5xKe_vHg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I heard that Wade Phillips didn't like fat NT and that's why we are not going after Shaun Rogers. I do like the player though and wouldn't mind seeing the Texans get him in the 2nd.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Ha, just as you say all that, I read this from ESPN "Insider":

[rquoter]We've talked before about the Houston Texans, their switch to a 3-4 defense, and how it will affect the linebackers. But what about the defensive line? Which of last year's tackles will take the nose, the 292-pound Shaun Cody, or the 302-pound Amobi Okoye?

Neither, apparently. Texans general manager Rick Smith tells team writer Nick Scurfield that the team has a true nose tackle on the roster, but his identity is a surprise: "I think Earl Mitchell's a guy that can play the nose for us."

Earl Mitchell? Third-round draft pick last year who made just one sack and 18 tackles in 15 games? Tiny (for an NFL nose tackle) little 289-pound Earl Mitchell?

Smith is quick to point out that new Texans defensive coordinator Wade Phillips has had success with smaller nose tackles in the past. (Jay Ratliff did make three Pro Bowls at 293 pounds for Phillips on the Cowboys.) He also said that he expects Mitchell to "take a jump" in his sophomore season.[/rquoter]

4. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

The thing about Wade (if I remember correctly) Is that the DT is not necessarily taking up 2 offensive lineman all the time, but is responsible for trying to shoot a gap and picking which gap to to into, respective to either side of the center. I could be wrong about that. I am a Cowboys fan and Ratliff always made it seem simple, but I think that is pure talent. The Texans will need a bigger guy that Earl Mitchell or Okoye.

5. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

Marvin Austin would be ideal, but I'd settle for Clemson's Jarvis Jenkins in the 2nd.

Mammoth, run-stuffing tackle; plays with a high motor, and started for the Tigers for 3 years.

6. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

That highlight clip was not impressive at all....

That said, I would love to get Taylor in the second round.

I want no part of him in the first...

7. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

Marvin Austin, please.

[​IMG]

8. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

If the Texans want to draft this guy, they'd probably trade down and grab some extra draft picks. But I doubt they will.

9. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Easily the most unimpressive highlight video Ive ever seen.