1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    The Timberwolves are roughing up the Nuggets, can they hold on for a Game 2 win? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Phil Jackson's Contract Terminated

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Puedlfor, Jun 18, 2004.

1. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

The Bottom Line reports Phil Jackson is no longer the Lakers coach.

2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yup, this is true. I just turned on ESPNews and they reported it. David Aldridge said the Lakers might talk to Henry Bibby and Rudy T. It will be interesting to see what happens. Aldridge says that the Lakers want to get a new coach in before FA so Kobe will know where the team stands. Think Byron Scott is kicking himself for taking the Hornets job so quickly?

3. Puedlfor

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1824658

there's a link. If it's on the internet it must be true.

It's intriguing watching this - the team that returns nest year might have almost no similarity to the team that lost the finals this year.

Jackson is already gone. This next hire is going to make or break the Lakers for the next few years.

Malone and Payton probably won't be back - and even if they are - they ain't got anything left.

Bryant is playing the free agent game - trying to create some leverage to get things more Kobe - friendly. Assuming he doesn't go to jail for rape.

O'Neal is pissed.

Should be an interesting year in LaLa land.

#3 Puedlfor, Jun 18, 2004
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2004
  4. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Wow - I would be floored if Rudy winds up as the next Laker coach. However, if they trade Shaq and re-sign Kobe, then he would be the perfect coach for that team.

5. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

Why would he be perfect for them if they trade Shaq? Rudy has had the most success with a dominant big man, but has shown limitations when forming an offense around guards. Please elaborate.

6. micah1j

micah1j Member

Payton will probably stay since no team in their right mind should pay him more than the 5.5M he is already signed to make with LA. Besides a new coach will bring a new offense. That should make Payton & Kobe happy.

7. Manny Ramirez

Uh, because Rudy is spineless in letting his guards aka Francis and Mobley do what ever they want and do it at will.

With Rudy in charge, Kobe will take 50 shots a game - bank on it.

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Rudy 'spineless' ~ that may be the most ignorant thing you've ever posted.

9. sup123

sup123 Member

I just cant wait to see kobe fail w/o shaq.

10. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

What surprises me is Phil bailed so quick. Even through rumors, you never know whats really going to happen ... if the whole team stays put and tries again or completely breaks up.

Phil would not stay unless he definately knew he had no chance of winning another title.

Payton and Malone are gone. They both want rings, and it definately won't happen next year with the lakers.

As far as Bryant and Oneal is concerned, the question is not who they keep, but who will they get in a trade for Oneal? TMac is not even in the question. What big man could they get in exchange?

11. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Seems like the Lakers are betting their franchise on Kobe. Letting go of Jackson, Shaq wants a trade. Teh only thing that would be better is if Shaq pulls a Quitten and forces teh Lakers to make a bad trade to get him out of town.

It would be fan-tastic to have Shaq traded and then have Kobe be found guilty.

Even better will be is if Shaq is traded to see Kobe average 40 a night and see the Lakers struggle to make the playoffs and get eliminated in teh first round for a few years.

12. Manny Ramirez

Nah, I am sure there have been others - you just weren't around at the time.:p

Why is that an ignorant statement? Don't tell me that you actually think that Rudy had Francis and Mobley in check. But it doesn't matter if you think that or not, because the bottom line is that Les Alexander didn't think that way, did he?

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Well we've both said much more ignorant things, but that is beside the point ~ Rudy had cancer and he had to step down. If Rudy doesn't get the big ā€˜Cā€™ :( the Rockets make the playoffs and he is still the coach now ~ we would have made the second round (at least) this year. Plus we wouldn't be forced to watch this god-awful JVG team that is about as exciting to watch as paint drying in the winter.

That's my story and i'm sticking to it...

Back at ya ----> :p

:)

14. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

You want Kobe to be found guilty of rape? That's pathetic.

15. Puedlfor

If you believe he did it - no, it's not at all.

16. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Yep! If he did it, I hope he becomes someones biatch in Colorado prison.

17. Raven

Raven Member

Phil is bailing, because the Fakers won't have Kobe next year, and Shaq is on the downside of his career.

Phil only coaches teams that are ready made.

18. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

I think I'd be sick if the Fakers signed Rudy. I utterly DETEST that whole organization. I can't stand them, not as long as Shaq, Kobe, Payton, and that piece of crap Karla are there.

19. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Pretty poor choice of wording. First, because the guy is a ****ing legend and is partly responsible for the first championships in the history of the city of Houston professional sports. Second, because it's just inaccurate.

Rudy is a basketball purist. He played in the days of organized sets, disciplined shooters, and unselfish guards. He is a hell of a coach, and he always plays to his strengths. Did you watch his US team's run in Puerto Rico? On pure talent and skills, that team should have finished last. They didn't. They finished an honorable third and had a legitimate chance at first.

The Rockets championship teams? How talented were they really? The first run? Hakeem and a bunch of jump shooters. The second? Well, considerably more talent, but it was still less talent than we've seen on every recent champion besides the Pistons(Close...Hakeem and Clyde as a duo were significantly better than anything the Pistons could offer) and the Spurs(The team with the older Robinson and no Elliott). Watching that '95 team during the playoffs was amazing. I really would like their chances against pretty much any team in history. I digress, but what I'm trying to say is that Rudy plays to his strengths. It's not like Steve and Cuttino had some type of control over Rudy. He didn't think making Yao the focal point was the right move, so he didn't do it. And the fact that we only finished a few games better this season supports this idea(Don't get me wrong...we were definitely better this season; whether that is because of the move from Rudy - > JVG is debatable). Yao wasn't totally ready this season, so he certainly wasn't last season.

I don't know...spineless just seems a little harsh for a legend. If you ever meet the guy, you would be hard-pressed to ever call him something like that...incredibly nice guy.

20. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

I want justice to be served for once to a rich american. Of course if he didn't rape here I don't want him to be found guilty but there are too many wealthy americans who find ways to beat the justice system.

So yes I believe he is guilty (doesn't mean it is true) and I hope he is found guilty (less likely just because of how much money he has).