1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Phil Jackson:Shaq only guy "that hasn't been a worker..."

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Gatorfan76, Dec 26, 2006.

1. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Jackson is a great coach, but coming off like an A-hole.

Shaq won him how many more titles?

As for traveling and other call benefits, his #1 guy Jordan got more than Wade or anybody.

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

LOL. This line is classic.

3. Hmm

Hmm Member

What do commercials, crap cd's and crap movies have to do with hard work in basketball? Inconsequential.

Relevency and fact act goes like this:

Shaq/Barkley = Lazy

Jordan/Yao = Hard Workers

4. Hmm

Hmm Member

minus 'act'.

5. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Sorry,

but some people are complete in other areas

what Shaq has accomplished can only be described as hard work

respect to him and his fam

6. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Man, I would gladly take some lazy bum leading my team to 3 titles anyday. Obviously, Phil Jackson thinks like me because this wasn't an issue when Shaq was in LA and they were winning. Actually, per Phil's book he wanted to trade the hardest working player on his team (Kobe) at one point, so work-ethic doesn't seem to be what matters most. Going by his career choices, I will go out on a limb and say that what matters most to Phil is talent. If you are the best at that and can help him win then I don't think he will have a problem with you.

7. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

LOL!!! What Phil Jackson is thinking is that if Shaq, the lazy bump worked hard when he was in La La Land, PJ and the Lakers should have a 5-peat instead just a 3-peat.

8. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

I beg to differ...

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yYuB5EYzYoA"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yYuB5EYzYoA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Could be, but drudging up Shaq's work habits now is jerky and classless. Right after he left the Lakers, PJ was pro-Shaq, anti-Kobe. Now he's flipped flopped. Chopping up two stars he used to coach makes him look like a snake: No matter how things are now, he will bite you eventually.

For the record, I used to get on Shaq's case about his work habits, specifically the time he delayed the surgery until near the start of the season. He never got his timing and endurance fully back and (thanksfully) may have cost the Lakers a title.

10. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

Nah, this is not about class. What PJ said is nothing new. PJ is probably trying to get back to Shaq when Shaq said Pat Riley is the best coach he ever has after his Heat championship.

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I realize the issue is not new. If that's why he said this Sunday then you are correct, it's not about class because PJ has none.

12. McGradySNKT

McGradySNKT Contributing Member

Maybe Pat coached him and demanded work of him rather than trying to play mind games and manipulating his players against eachother for motivation.

13. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

First, I dont think anyone was going to get Shaq working in those years. Pat Riley gets Shaq working only becoz Shaq knows himself is declining. If Shaq still refused to work, he'll look really bad. But we're only talking about after all-star break that Shaq wll start working.

Second, I dont know what u r referring to as mind games. A few verbal exchange through media to opponents' playas? As to PJ's own playas, PJ may have different attitude and treat his playas differently. Whatever it takes to get your team going and winning.

PJ has class or not is none of my concern. I dont know PJ personally and judging a person thru media is very difficult. But certainly I want PJ to be on my team if we're talking about NBA championships.

14. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

It's for the media. The Lakers/Heat epic battle was a dud this christmas. How else is the media suppose to make money?

15. melo061

melo061 Member

As a lakr fan, i will admt Phil jackson is a snake. He divulged what happened in team practices. He is still the greatest coach ever but the man is not someone you'd like to get close you. He will bite you (even though Phil has yet to criticise kobe in the media like he did in the past).

But this time, he is telling the truth. Shaq refused to work on his freethrows shooting technique even though he was told numerous times to do so. He also stopped working on his defense after 2000. He kept on gaining weight. Shaq decline happened so quickly. After 2000, everything in his game declined. His effort and conditioning was not there like it was in 2000. That all points to him not working hard enough.

If anyone wants to understand this, watch shaq in 2000 then watch in 20001. From the outset you can see the difference between the effort he brought in 2000.

edit: Also, look at shaq's game itself. His offense arsenal didn't change much since he came into the league. All he added was added strength and a jump step hook shot. Compare that to kobe bryant who has improved in every facet of his game, got a jumper, ball handling, 3 point shooting. Shaq simply didn't improve much. Again, it all points to him not working hard enough.

16. Hmm

Hmm Member

lmao

lol

haha..

17. underoverup

underoverup Member

this was just a little media stunt by phil jackson, nothing more. i'm sure he is friends with shaq and they had a nice little laugh with all of this.

18. stangend77

stangend77 Member

dont fool yourself he rode coattails :D