1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Phil Jackson Reportedly Wants to Return to NBA in Coaching or Executive Role

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by cw3k, Apr 17, 2013.

1. cw3k

cw3k Member

I hope Rocket's front office see this. If we get Phil, we will see West Conference in 2 years and maybe a championship in year 3.

Instead of wasting 20m to chasing Howard, I would rather pay Phil 20m to coach and mentor our starters, particular Harden, Lin and Asik.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/...itching-return-nbacoach-executive-sources-say

2. wfeebs

wfeebs Member

Coachbadlee has a better chance of coaching the Rockets than Phil does

3. Bohdi

Bohdi Member

Phily needs a coach. Perhaps they will sign Bynum to a long term contract to give Phil a super star to build around /sarcasm

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Phil Jackson is EXACTLY the type of coach the front office and owner DO NOT want.

Les and Morey & co. have a vision for this team, and the way they want to see it built. You bring in someone like Phil, and your asking for a power struggle, that could help in the short term, but kill everything they have built long term.

And just to be clear, Phil isn't going to automatically bring in Dwight Howard or someone similar. He could make the situation more attractive at first, but lets face it, Houston is already the most attractive free agent destination this Summer(due to roster, and salary cap flexibility) for a free agent NOT re-signing with his current team, or a max salary player looking to get traded into that salary cap slot.

Dwight Howard and CP3 are staying with their current teams for very good reasons. If either of them take crazy pills and decide to leave, Houston is most likely option #1 right now anyways... so Phil's superstar power doesn't really matter.

As a coach, I think the triangle is better suited for a veteran team with years of experience. With the right roster the triangle can be a basketball purist's dream. With an in-experience/growing team, it could be a complete nightmare. Just look at the Kurt Rambis coached Timberwolves teams of recent years for an example.

1 person likes this.
  5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Why would a team pay a boatload of money to PJ for an executive role? Ain't no way.

6. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Jackson prolly will replace Vinny D.

7. Nook

Nook Member

I can see it happening to a team that needs prestige or I can see a desperate owner hiring him to consult with and help him pick coaches and assistants.

8. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Fire Morey and give Phil Jackson the GM position if only so Clutchfans can photoshop Phil's head on the legendary Morey at Madision Square Garden pic.

9. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

the rumour's been seattle for a while

10. thething

thething Contributing Member

Having Pat Riley as executive brought in a championship. Phil Jackson brings the same type of respect for a franchise.

11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Not happening for Houston.

It's going to be a team that it's understood that he may start off as coach and then take over in some FO role.

Yes I would Hire Phil at all cost if it was just for a coach. He brings the absolute best out of everyone with his zen-ness and strategy isn't so bad either.

12. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

screw that pot smoking coattail riding hippy

13. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

If Phil Jackson can bring the Jordaness out of Harden??? heck ya!!!!!!...but lol at the idea of him coming here...Morey and Jackson are not gonna get along...they are totally different folk..

14. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Actually i would love for Doug Collins or Larry Brown to try something with these guys...but still same problem with Adelman...these guys are too demanding as coaches...if Mchale is dismissed...the Rockets will look to get younger or hire within the system...

15. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I don't see why it wouldn't work. I think Morey would have to allow Phil to bring in some of the role players he wants; but I don't think Morey has a big enough ego to let it get in the way of a championship. And Phil has proven himself there. What would be really nice is to have Phil coach a team that has both Howard and Harden. That team with Lin and Parsons will compete for a championship without a doubt.

16. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

Clippers perfect fit. Seattle if they get the Kings has talent to be moved for pieces he would prefer. Houston? As mentioned, i don't see us bringing him in and telling morey that his(morey) job is PJax's once phil finishes coaching.

17. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Sterling is way too cheap to hire Jackson.

I'd guess he lands with the Nets, maybe Lakers.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]

:p

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I figured someone would say that. After what Riles did with the Knicks, it made sense for the Heat to turn everything over to him. PJ has never run a franchise. He's only been a coach and is 67 years-old. Starting the executive phase of his career at this age is a dubious proposition.

IMO, he brings major respect to an organization purely as a coach.