1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Phil Jackson reportedly leaning towards accepting NYK front office position.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rolyat93, Mar 8, 2014.

1. mig0s

mig0s Member

As long as dolan is with the knicks, nothing would really change

2. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I wouldn't go as far as to say overrated. He is just not as good as those like Pop.
    Phil takes over deep talent teams and bails when things start to crumble.

3. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

We will see. Would you consider the Knicks a deep talented team?

4. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

can someone explain what exactly the president of basketball operations duties entail? I am assuming it varies per team, so I guess none of us really know. I don't think coaching necessarily translates to being good at running a front office. McHale would be an example of this.

5. NotChandlerParsons

I assume signing off on what Jimmy Dolan says to do and telling him what a good job he's doing is the main duty of the Knicks president of bball operations. Oh and getting fired when his terrible roster moves don't work out.

6. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I see a role where he convinces Melo to stay, recruits free agents to NY, and then takes over as coach when he has enough talent to be a contender.

7. Pukimonster

Pukimonster Member

Nah, look at the 05-06 Lakers roster he had when he came back Kobe, an inconsistent Odom, and a bunch of scrubs and he coached them back to the playoffs

8. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

You know what would be funny, Phil taking job and then Melo leaves in the summer....:grin:

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Why would that be funny? If they were smart, they'd run him out of town to make room for a better player. The whole "Stat and Melo" BS was doomed from the start and a smarter GM would have never gone that route in the first place.

10. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

doubt it happens but would be great for NY. Dolan gets a lot of flack but he's not a bad owner. in one sense he is because he knows nothing about basketball so the pres of bball ops gets to do whatever he wants with no one checking in on him. this is why the isaiah thomas era was so bad for the knicks.

however, dolan is also willing to spend as much money as needed, usually he's willing to spend more money than is needed. this is good in the sense that they can go out and outbid for excecs, coaches, and players. its sometimes bad because he can get conned into spending poorly under the wrong advisement.

all the knicks and dolan really need is someone who knows how to build and manage a team running things and using dolans checkbook to get things done effectively. i believe jackson would be great at this, if he takes the job... which he probably wont.

11. hardLINer

hardLINer Member

imagine phil taking his coaching talents to oklahoma... this would be scary

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Hope it happens. Interested to see how he'll handle it. Really curious to see who he'd pick for coach and if it'd be a younger, Spoelstra type he can personally replace (SVG type) for a season when things get real.

13. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I suppose after accumulating 13 NBA Championships it's hard to argue much of anything could tarnish one's legacy.

This move could potentially test that theory, though.

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't know if one hire is really going to make much of a dent in a dysfunctional organization. But, he does seem well-suited to the management job in that his best skill as a coach was managing people. Still, it's quite a risk to cede all control to a person who essentially has not been tested at all in the front-office.

15. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

I would agree. I'd guess if Jackson takes the job, he's gone in three years or less.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Column: New York's doomed partnership of Phil Jackson and James Dolan. <a href="http://t.co/XVkr0v6NG2">http://t.co/XVkr0v6NG2</a></p>&mdash; Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/statuses/443148224153804800">March 10, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

17. basketballholic

I think Melo is keeping this deal from happening already. I am surmising PJax (and Dolan) are looking for a commitment from him if PJax is hired and I suspect Melo isn't giving it to them.

18. jim1961

jim1961 Member

So, Phil is leaning towards:

1) Working for perhaps the worst owner in the league
    2) One of the worst teams in the league
    3) At a position he has never held before

Do I have this right?

19. basketballholic

And...the most important part as Woj stated...collecting millions of dollars.

And...one thing Woj didn't mention.....attempting to use this as leverage to get into the Laker front office.

#39 basketballholic, Mar 10, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  20. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

He should really avoid the opinion based articles. They suck. He is much better at just beating folks for the inside scoop.