1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Phil Jackson is the best coach available for Yao/TMac

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by fa7999, Nov 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Yes, it is. :D
    WHAT SIDE IS THAT?
    so Only Phil I-leave-when-I-don't-win-any-more-rings Jackson is?
    Then name them...
    Thanks! :rolleyes:
    wow. I'm so relieved. :rolleyes:
    GO ROCKETS!!!! GO JEFF VAN GUNDY!!!!
    Yes, I'm a HOMER.

I think I am liking this... yes, keep 'em coming... :D

2. bigben69

bigben69 Member

You act like you won at something. You just supported my theory that you want to be labeled an idiot. We all just want the ROCKETS to win. I bet you love having weatherspoon and ward on the team and any other knicks he decides to bring in.

I didnt say PJ for sure. Just a coach who is more offensive minded. Maybe a coach who knows how to run a fastbreak or not get us to use the whole 24 seconds only to force us to jack up a stupid shot. PJ would be nice because he knows how to handle players who already know how to play. Hell I would rather have the other Van Gundy. You act like no one else in the world could coach a team with two of the best players in the NBA. I dont see how you dont get it when so many people want Van Gundy gone. Obviously if this many people think that he is a problem then something has to be wrong. I already said in another post that I hope he proves me wrong but I dont think that will happen.

3. Charvo

Charvo Member

JVG has problems with being flexible with the offense in relation the abilities of his players. Steve Francis is a key example. The same goes with Yao at times. He has a very rigid vision of how the team should perform on offense without any concept of adapting to the players on the team. Phil Jackson seems to accomodate the abilities of the players and works with them to achieve optimal results. I do not think JVG gets the best out of his players on offense. Steve Francis is playing out of his freaking mind now like he got freed from prison.

It's the inability to recognize the strengths and weaknesses of his players and adapt the gameplan to those strengths and weaknesses that will be JVG's downfall as a Rocket coach.

JVG's best season with the Knicks was in 1996-97. I have no doubts that JVG is trying to mold the Rockets into that kind of team. That's why Ewing is Yao's tutor. Maybe JVG is trying to use TMac the way Allan Houston was used.

Take a look at what Phil Jackson has done over the span of his coaching career. He has taken one team with an offense using a dominant wing player as the primary go-to guy. He won 6 rings with MJ. He then took a team that Del Harris and Kurt Rambis failed to elevate. That team had a dominant inside presence along with a dominant wing player. He got 3 rings. Phil Jackson has adapted the triangle offense to different personnel. I can see Phil Jackson bringing out the best out of Yao and TMac.

If noone can see JVG is choking Yao and TMac, then you should look at the body language of these 2 guys when they are playing. They look like they are just out there working. When a coach is not in tune with his players, he gets disconnects. JVG is disconnected from both Yao and TMac.

4. jediknight94595

jediknight94595 Contributing Member

Triangle offense has been said to be rigid. But I think its a system that certain players like because it works. MJ and Shaq had no problems with it. They know they will get their shots. They ain't worried about not getting them. Maybe selfish players like Kobe and SF would not like it.

Yao and T-Mac are actually very alike in temperment, both dont get too up or too down. Both are deadly yet cool as a cucumber. That will prove to be an advantage in a championship. Shaq is also a very calm person who is willing to be in a system that works. I think both Yao and T-Mac are willing to learn a system like Shaq did with triagnle offense.

Van Grumpys system is micro-mis-management. He has no offensive system. He has nothing to teach Yao and T-Mac about offense. :mad:

5. fa7999

fa7999 Member

Exactly. When Yao was playing for Rudy, you could see him having fun on the court. Since the arrival of JVG, it has been so rare to see Yao smile or laugh on the court.

TMac is on the same boat.

I mean, our main strength is the tremendous offensive skills of Yao/TMac. A coach who is clueless on the offensive end is not going to bring out the best of these two players.

It's painful to see SF3 flourish again in Orlando. Maybe for the best sake of Yao, he SHOULD be a free agent and not sign again with the Rockets.

6. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

No matter what, JVG is not gonna get fired. having said that, if the Rox Dont make the playoffs, then i can see him getting canned. i just dont see the value of firing you're coach just for the sake of change. especially not Mid-Season.

7. SwoLy-D

Right on, blazer_ben. I agree.

Where's my prize... or where am I claiming anything? :D
    And if I ask you to call me an IDIOT, will you stop? :D
    LOL (nooOoo!!! REALLY?)
    I don't care who plays on your team or who is coach, you support them if you're a fan... if you're a pessimist BANDWAGONER, you call for heads to fall. And on top of that, you're doing it with just with less than 10 games in the season!!! OUTRAGEOUS, man!!! This is what you and other IDIOTS (yes, I called you an IDIOT too) are saying.
    Wow. Then name who you want, I am sure Les and Carroll will listen to you. <- this is sarcasm, by the way.
    This last one is an OXYMORON: "I hope, but I don't think"

What gives? Go to the D&D with this one...

GO ROCKETS!!!!

8. bigben69

bigben69 Member

9. bigben69

bigben69 Member

Man SWOL the post got messed up but you get the point.

10. SwoLy-D

:D I do. Touché.

Use cut-n-paste for the close and opening tags, then put your comments between. I've been here long enough to see how others do it:

[ quote ][ i ]o.p. by SwoLy-D[ /i ][ b ]my post[ /b ][ /quote ] SwoLy-D, you are an *****!!! :mad: [ quote ] [ b ] blah blah [/b][/quote] You suck, SwoLy-D!

I hope you can learn some day but... I don't think you will? ;) jk :D

11. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Just remember, Rick Carlisle(sp?) was canned after winning two division championships and reaching eastern conference finals!!

Mark

12. shawn786

shawn786 Member

I'v been a supporter of JVG from day one BUT i must say im starting to cave in....

13. SwoLy-D

First High School... then this, huh? Peer Pressure is tough, I tell you what.

14. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I say forget Phil Jackson and hire Bill Walton so we would have the greatest pre and post game quotes ever

15. crimsonice

crimsonice Member

I think the hiring of Phil Jackson will eventually happen. I think Van Gundy will be the coach for another year or two, but that's it. I also gotta think Phil is watching this team closely.

16. shawn786

shawn786 Member

haha yea that and JVG just cant seem to run a well balanced offense.

17. winwook

winwook Member

I'm not sure if Phil Jackson would take the job. He's not young and his health isn't that good. He wants to win the championship right away. I think the Rox are realistically a few years away from that.

Van Gundy has this year to show marked improvement from last year. If not, then perhaps there will be a coaching shakeup. Too early in the season to speculate on a record, but it doesn't seem like the players particularly like Van Gundy.

18. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

I wasn't aware that he was available.

19. HoustonForever

Excellent points. Phil Jackson does seem to be breaking down...there are a lot of people of advanced age who don't break down...but Phil Jackson is someone who is suffering through a lot of health ailments, he looks like he can barely walk.

If the Rockets don't improve significantly from last season, then Van Gundy's job might be on the line. On the other hand, CD might give Van Gundy another year or so for this group of players to gel together into a championship-caliber team. If players don't like Van Gundy, how will they embrace Phil Jackson, who's very rigid and stubborn?

20. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

Not really. Normally, contracts have a clue states that the team will stop paying once the players/coaches signed with another team. So once Rudy signed with the Lakers, the Rockets will no longer have the responsibility of paying him. The reason is simple, he has to be the Rockets' employee to get paid. He chosed to leave for another job, so his name is removed from the payroll.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.