1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

PFT: NBA’s best urged to take less “if they want to win.” Agents, unions unhappy with trend.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by JeffB, Jul 6, 2014.

1. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Agreed. 20 mil per year is more money than I could imagine being able to spend. Give me ONE million and I would be set for the rest of my life, and if invested wisely I could make things comfortable for my offspring and future generations. I just can't sympathize.

2. Solaris

Solaris Member

Not my money. If a owner not willing spend the money for good players and impose these max and caps, they shouldn't be owning a NBA team. Should buy a WNBA team instead.

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Most people says and believe that
    until they in that situation

If a Job came to you . . .and offered you 1 Million a year for 20 yrs
    Sign a contract and everything

PURELY OFF YOUR LABOR
    you watch the company turn profits like this
    Year 1 - 10 million
    Year 2 - 20 million
    Year 3 - 50 million
    Year 4 - 100 million
    Year 5 - 120 million
    Year 6 - 200 million
    Year 7 - 400 million
    Year 8 - 1 Billion
    etc

you still making your 1 million

At some point . . . most folx will want a bit more of the pie they baking

Rocket River
    simplistic example

1 person likes this.
  4. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Exactly, River. People always want to say that pro athletes are overpaid, but never look at how much revenue each league or team is generated.

5. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

This has a drawback though. Say you pay Lebron 40 million and over 50% of the salary cap and he goes down with a injury and is never the same player again. All of a sudden your team is severely debilitated for the length of the contract because the salary cap limits you. If you could cut Lebron then that solves the issue but players don't want that.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Which is why you don't sink 50% of your salary cap into 1 player.
    Same issue with the D.Rose contract in Chicago
    it would not be much different

Rocket River

7. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

The rotation players and the bench warmers are overpaid. They contribute nothing to marketing compared to Harden/Durant/Bron and in basketball the star players value are much more.

You push down Brons contract with a max and you will inflate the contracts of scrubs. Bron and Durant should never take less than the max, it should be the Diaw's taking less.

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

That's exactly what happened to us with Yao and McGrady. But that's the nature of the game. You rely on a star or two to win. When they are not healthy, you are screwed. It's a problem even with the current system.

Ridding the max contract has the effect of paying each player the real value, not forcing guys like LeBron to be underpaid their whole career. The current system benefits the middle-class players, not the superstars.

9. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Yao and mac had 6 year contracts though. These 4 year contract will not be nearly as dangerous for teams.

10. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Get rid of Max Salaries and also have a similar salary guarantee system the NFL uses

11. T-macsterful1

T-macsterful1 Member

I actually like this concept. It allows for certain players, Lebron for example to make beyond the "max". In no way should someone like Josh Smith or Joe Johnson make comparable money to LBJ.

12. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Really it's been the players that have been the primary catalyst for this movement, not the owners. Heck the GM's in Minnesota could be waving around blank checks to the top ten players and still no one will bite.

What changed with Lebron and his Decision was the realization that, for a top 3-5 player in the NBA, your actual salary represents a miniscule fraction of your true annual gross income. Guys like Lebron or Kobe pull 100+M per year, and the bulk of that comes through the image building that the NBA has helped them with. To that extent, there's much more potential in playing for a team with worldwide notoriety like the Lakers than there is taking more money with the home team and saving, say 15 million over the life of the contract (3 years? 4 years? you're talking about 3-5M annually).

So if the agents are taking less of a cut from the NBA deal, they can blame the max or the luxury tax or the CBA-negotiated revenue cut all they want. In the end they gotta convince their players to abide by the laws of the free market, instead of colluding like they have been since the Decision. It's not gonna be easy though.

13. da_juice

da_juice Member

Exactly. The sole reason they have the max is to protect bad FOs from themselves so that you dont have middling all stars like Josh smith getting $40 million a year.

14. apollo33

apollo33 Member

meh, maybe super stars thinks that colluding together and taking a paycut to make a championship team will net them more publicity and more money from sponsors.

The 2-3 million dollar per cut they take in contracts is nothing compared to the money they can potentially earn from sponsors by being world champions.

Plus when you have that much money, you start to think about legacy and other stuff, and winning basketball and championships to them is worth more than getting 10 million a year vs 15 million a year

15. Major

Major Member

The max contract will be hard to get rid of. The union has a lot more middle-class players than stars, so they aren't necessarily in opposition to it. And the owners fought for it to protect themselves after Kevin Garnett - having no max salary allows a star to crush a team. When KG was a free agent, he demanded an obscene amount of money. Minnesota was stuck with two ugly options - pay and destroy your team (which they did) or don't pay and start over from scratch, angering your fans.

I agree with removing the max contract; but I think you add a hard cap with that - that forces owners to be fiscally responsible and it makes players accept that. With bird exceptions, it lets the players argue for more money without as much consequence. Basically, if you want a lot of money, you better carry your team. If you want superfriends, accept that you simply can't have a bench. It should allow more 1 and 2 star teams to be successful.

2 people like this.
  16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

YEa. . LeBron could demand and get 80% from some team
    but shut up if you playing with nothing but D-Leaguers
    Because it is what you chose

I think this will make players more teammates with GMs
    which is what is beginning to happen now anyway

Rocket River

17. Major

Major Member

Minus the percentages part, we had this system in the 90's. It didn't lead to players working with GMs - it led to players holding GMs hostage (Kevin Garnett being the straw that broke the camel's back).

18. afk

afk Member

Does this mean we're getting another lockout?

19. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I think this makes the most sense and will probably create more balance, if you wanna form a super team, you make a huge pay cut and then have no bench

20. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Reality bites ...

one or two superstars who take up the cap space on your team ain't enough to win you a championship.

They need a solid team behind them and that takes money.

If they can win it by themselves, then do it. Otherwise, take less money and build a better team.