1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pettite: "Astros wanted to move on without me"

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Another Brother, Dec 9, 2006.

1. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2692164

HOUSTON -- Andy Pettitte says he moved from Houston back to New York because the Yankees put on a "full-court press" and the Astros showed signs they were ready to move on without him.

Pettitte and the Yankees reached a preliminary agreement Friday on a $16 million, one-year contract, a deal that reunites the two-time All-Star with the team he helped win four World Series titles.

The deal includes a $16 million player option for 2008 that Pettitte's agent, Randy Hendricks, said Pettitte would not exercise if he were hurt and unable to play.

Peter Gammons' Take

Of course it helps to have the Yankees' revenues to take on Bobby Abreu's $15 million salary when the Phillies want him out of town and pay Andy Pettitte $16 million off a 14-13, 4.20 ERA season.
    Though Yankee Stadium in the late 1980's was about the last place this side of a West Virginia coal mine that anyone wanted to play, what Gene Michael and Buck Showalter turned around and Brian Cashman and Joe Torre have cultivated is a place players want to go to and win.

• To read more, click here

Many fans in Houston had hoped Pettitte would extend his three-year stay with his hometown club. Pettitte and Hendricks said they offered to play for the Astros for $14 million, but that the Astros would offer no more than $12 million and balked at the second-year option.

Pettitte said Saturday he was surprised the Astros wouldn't bridge the gap between the two proposals.

"It shocked me that [the Astros] would not continue to go up, when the Yankees continued to push and push and pursue and they [the Astros] really didn't do much," he said. "It was a full-court press by the Yankees. I've talked to the guys, and obviously they wanted me to come back up there."

Houston was on the verge of obtaining pitcher Jon Garland from the Chicago White Sox earlier this week for outfielder Willy Taveras, pitchers Taylor Buchholz and Jason Hirsh, a move Pettitte said made it clear the Astros had written him off.

"You've got to figure that was a pretty good sign that they were going to move on," Pettitte said in a news conference at the Battleground Country Club.

Pettitte's defection to the Yankees intensified speculation that close friend, former Yankees and Astros teammate Roger Clemens, would join him in back in New York. But Pettitte said he had not talked with Clemens about his decision.

"I haven't talked with Roger one time during these negotiations," Pettitte said. "I don't know what Roger's going to do. I worry about what Andy Pettitte has to do, and then go from there. ... What he does is his decision."

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

[​IMG] "how conveenient"

#2 pgabriel, Dec 9, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2006
  3. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

Then why not just accept a team option? We did our best and I'm ready to move on without him. Again, he wasn't necessarily an automatic win every time he pitched. I also hope Clemens goes back too. I wish them the best, but I know for sure Yanks won't win a WS this year.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Andy referring to himself in the third person?!?

Man, the guy really must have missed big city life... I don't buy that he's uncomfortable around the media for one second.

5. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

That's just Andy being Andy.

6. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

How can he be upset at the Astros for making plans to move on without him, when he didn't even make it known that he wanted to play again until the winter meetings already started? Did he want them to sit on their hands until he graced them with his answer?

7. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Bingo. Sorry Carlos, not happening again.

8. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Exactly...he said he wasnt planning on making a decision until later...what are the Astros supposed to do? Whatever, he'll be hitting 5+ ERA in no time.

9. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

that's what i'm saying

******* ain't **** ya know?

#9 TMac640, Dec 9, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2006
  10. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Andy's just trying to make it the Astros fault so the fans in his hometown will still like him. We're not buying it Andy. You went for the money and everyone knows that. You should take your family up to New York with you, and stay up there permanently IMO.

11. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

Andy just admit it.

You miss the mistress you had in NYC. Just say that and everyone will leave you alone. But no, you have to come up with this BS about how the Yankees wanted you more.

I hope she got herpes when you were in Houston and now you will be the 1 in 4 that has it.

Don't worry, though...[​IMG]

12. Kerfeld

Kerfeld Contributing Member

I for one take the Astros side on this one. I lost a lot of respect for Pettitte yesterday. Three days ago, he was whining that he didnt know if he wanted to pitch again. Andy did the math, 32 is greater than 12 and he took the money. I am not upset that he took the money, I am just upset at all the bs he spewed about wanting to be in Houston, be next to family, etc.

On the quote saying that he wouldnt exercise the player option if he got hurt, I call BS!!!! (see Carlos Boozer for reference). I dont buy that for second. I am behind the Astros, and believe they will get something done.

On another note, the Rocket has Uncle D by the short and curlies now. I can just see Roger asking for 18.5 million for half of season, or a prorated amount of 36-37 million. I just dont see Roger leaving, but then again I really believed Pettitte and bought his crap hook, line, and sinker. I never thought Pettitte would leave.

13. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

I guess I'm rooting for the Yankees now.

Sincerely,
    APOF

j/k

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Timeline:

1. Pettitte says he'll tell us around Christmas IF he'll play at all;

2. Astros grow concerned he might not play;

3. Astros try to trade for someone else;

4. Pettitte signs a contract with NYY within 48 hours of learning of the proposed trade...more than two weeks before he told us he'd be in with his decision of whether he'd play at all.

15. Rox Addict

Rox Addict Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bye !!

16. Title99

Title99 Contributing Member

Exactly! I too lost a ton of respect for Pettitte. I think the Astros made the right move. Their offer of 12 million was even too high. See ya later Pettitte.

Also, when you think about it, he didn't do much for the Astros other than enable us to sign Clemens. He pitched very well the 2nd half of 2005, but other than that he wasn't anything that special.

17. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

I'm taking the Stros' side on this but why so much hate for Pettitee that some of y'all are wishing him herpes with some suspected mistress.

I can't stand the Yankees and am dissapointed that Pettitte is going back to them. That said he helped the Stros out to their two greatest seasons ever and brought Clemens here. I wish Pettitte were still an Astro but good luck to him.

18. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Well the Astros have certainly made it clear that they will not be held hostage by a celebrity pitcher again (ROGER, ARE YOU LISTENING?).

I'm hundred percent with them on this one.

19. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I saw it a little differently:

1. Pettite says he'll decide about playing in December
    2. Andy begins talks with Yankees, NY press indicates it will happen but he'll delay things to give Houston a chance/save face
    3. Astros work on plan B to avoid Beltran part 2
    4. Astros balk at a second yr, done deal.

I fully believe (a) that Andy made up his mind and was leaving unless the Astros floored him, and (b) the 2nd year option was the deal breaker, not the extra 2 million blowhards like Richard Justice whine about.

I think he's going to have a tough time back in the AL and it's a coin flip if his body holds up for both years.

Evan

20. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

16 mil a year is way too much. This is making A-Rod's contract look cheap.