1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Petition to bring back the championship jerseys?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by geegee1337, May 18, 2009.

Tags:
  1. ralphabetsoup

ralphabetsoup Member

You STAY with the basic design of the jerseys you WON TITLES WITH. The folks at BOSTON AND LA knows this; it is the BRAND and Team IDENTITY that is/WAS known through the world and identifies you as a winner. YOU Don't CHANGE YOUR COLORS, especially after winning a title. :mad: :mad: :mad:

That yelling aside. For godsakes, and by all means, bring back the '93-'95 era jerseys. If that means re-doing the hardwood designs on the court (probably the reason they won't go back, along with lack of imagination). :cool:

Bottom line is, the current uniforms are played out, and if they had half a brain, they could sell a billion of the 'new' retro jersey, since the Yao one wasn't really available except in hard to get throwback form. :p

YES to the old/classic jerseys. :)

2. kanariya

kanariya Member

Man that in shape T-mac looks great.

We may never see that man again.

3. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I wouldn't expect to ever see T-Mac play at that level in a rockets uniform again. Thats why this off season is so important.

Noone would want those old uniforms if we hadn't won those titles in them.

4. hjg877

hjg877 Member

You may need to clarify what you wrote. Are you referring to Cleveland's underwhelming "Kemp Era" threads?

[​IMG]

The possible story mentioned about Cleveland taking the yellow/gold and red/maroon might have merit if it's 2003, just not 1996. Honestly I would doubt the NBA refused Houston from reverting to the yellow and red because Cleveland chose them at the same time; both teams had history of using versions of the colors.

Many are aware, however, that the NBA has (supposedly) prevented an overabundance of black jerseys for a variety of reasons.

Not that it worked out in the long run for Seattle, they did go back in their past, as did Detroit and event Milwaukee:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Plus the current jersey does sell. And certainly having the worldwide recognition of Yao helps.

I do think the current jersey is bland and even awkward. Never was a huge fan of it, but as mentioned, it is better than those awful eight years behind bars.

The best solution and compromise would be to introduce a new logo, one that brings a much-needed extra color (a shade of yellow/orange). If the old logo is re-used and updated, perhaps the current logo could still be used as a secondary mark. Coincide a new logo with a retro update alternate jersey that could end up being as popular or more so than the current version.

That way the current look could still be in use so the strength of the brand recognition would not be [as] diminished, as well as transitioning to a new iconic look. I just don't see the current mark as timeless, yet I wouldn't discard it.

5. garthomps

garthomps Contributing Member

Yes, thanks - I definitely typed the wrong year. Was clearly the end of the pinstripes to the current get-up 03'.

That said, remember hearing about the color scheme. Rockets had requested the old colors but they were already taken by Cleveland during the off-season. Thus, they went for red and silver.

Like your points though

6. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I don't buy it.

1) There are many teams that use similar color schemes. (The abundance of shades of blue in the newer unis for Utah, Denver, Dallas and Memphis)

2) It's not like the Rockets would have copied the Cavs colors exactly. Even if we altered the colors and updated them a little, we still weren't going to be Wine and Gold.

7. Cannonball

What did Milwaukee do? Their current logo is the same one they've been using since 1993. All they did was change from Green/Purple to Green/Red. The unis are almost exactly the same too.

8. garthomps

Found an old post:

02-07-2003 01:34 PM
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/printthread.php?t=50962&page=9&pp=20

Didn't have the time to search through the whole thread, but this was the general point which I remembered being discussed back then. This was 6 years ago . . . so yes, things can change.

9. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Um... Do any of you not remember this thread?

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=160588

But as for an overall change of the logo and the current jerseys, there is no way that is happening. That would render all the current merchandise worthless, and you see the 'R' logo everywhere now. If anything, they could make an update to the 'R' logo and add some championship flare to it, while doing the same to the jerseys.

...and BTW the Sixers are going back to this old logo this season along with the jerseys

[​IMG]

#49 WhoMikeJames, May 18, 2009
    Last edited: May 18, 2009
  10. garthomps

I could live with this ;)

11. BleedsRocketRed

I have been wishing this since they changed them in 95/96. Please for the sake of the team, bring back to old unis with a newer updated flair to them.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Signed, those jerseys are way better looking than the current ones.

DD

13. The Summit

The Summit Contributing Member

Signed, I would love it if they made this change back. I do however agree with most that the current unis are a vast improvement over the pajamas.

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The current ones are vastly superior from an aesthetic standpoint.

If the Rockets had not won titles in the old ones nobody would care.

Nostalgia, you are powerful, but you lose.

UNSIGNED

15. Cannonball

This is kind of my view as well. I don't think the old logo/unis are particularly attractive.

But then I look at Detroit. They kind of went retro, but they didn't use the exact same logo and they didn't use the exact same unis. So with that in mind, I'd be at least curious to see what and updated logo/uni would look like. I'm totally opposed to going straight back to the old unis but I'm open to an altered/updated version of them, depending on what they look like. I think the lettering on the championship unis has to go. The lower case "et" in Rockets and "t" in Houston is just plain stupid. I think that's the main reason they wore the '71 unis as the throwbacks. The block lettering looked much better, though I could do without the gold letters.

16. ralphabetsoup

ralphabetsoup Member

They should let the fans vote on this. Classic, or modified classif would win. The went back to the old NBA ball because the new one sucked; they can do the same with a team's unis.

IF they don't want to give up the current Shanghai in Space logo/uniform, they should at least introduce an alternate road&home jersey that is a modified classic (if not an outright classic). Who says you have to wear the same clothes every day.

17. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I think we should go to one of these

San Diego
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Houston
    [​IMG]

Denver
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

18. hjg877

hjg877 Member

Milwaukee did an unusual thing. They went back to their old school "Christmas" colors while maintaining their current logo.

However they introduced an alternate that, in my opinion, doesn't fit. It's not bad looking; it's pseudo-retro. Kind of what Sacramento and Washington did with their unrelated alternates...but not at all.

Old School:
    [​IMG]

New Alternate:
    [​IMG]

As you can see they dimply brought back an old uni and simply switched the primary jersey color. It must be a Milwaukee thing because the Brewers use their old school logo and uniform as a secondary mark and a true alternate, not just on special occasions. You will see the Brewers wearing their throwbacks consistently.

One other thing I want to mention: I would like to see less of this Dazzle material in the league. It's a shame that the Bulls felt the need to Dazzle their uni's. Looks like the jersey is stuck in shrink wrap.

19. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

I think it's ironic that once the Rockets switched from their classic championship jerseys to the space pajamas, the team slowly started going downward. It's like the Rockets identity was changed when they went to the space pajamas. I mean, look at the last four years of the space pajamas, no freaking playoff appearances.

Then they switched back to Rockets red, and started making the playoffs again in 03-04, but the Rockets have only been a decent team, but never a championship caliber team with these jerseys, and I gather that the fans' opinion of the current jerseys is that they are just ok looking. They don't look bad, but they could be better looking, cleaner perhaps. And that's how the Rockets have been this decade. They have been a decent team, but they could be better.

The Rockets need to get their full identity back, and that means bringing back the red and gold. Heck, China's Colors are red and gold.

Make it happen Morey.

20. ralphabetsoup

ralphabetsoup Member

It is an identity thing. If Boston and LA and SA were to suddenly get rid of their colors totally and switch to some outlandish clown suits (which, not coincidentally, is exactly what the Rockets did coming FRESH off a championship win), you bet other teams would look at them differently and probalby laugh. Any fear built in by the sight of the traditional uniforms would give way to quiet heckling about the clown outfits. That's what happened to the Rockets. It's not too late to swallow some pride - hell, SHOW some pride, and bring back the ch'ip jerseys. I mean, is whoever's in charge of costuming so dense AND stubborn that they can't see that it's the cor-rect thing to do?