1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pete Mickeal, Oscar Torres or Tito Maddox?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thumbs, Sep 26, 2002.

1. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Who will earn the backup shooting guard spot and why? Or will Tito Maddox win the role? Torres is still a free agent, and Mickeal and Maddox have non-guaranteed contracts. The Rockets are expected to keep only five guards, and Steve, Cat and Mooch occupy three of those slots. Maddox is really a point guard, but they may want to keep him so they will use him as a SG instead.

#1 thumbs, Sep 26, 2002
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2002
  2. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

I am willing to bet that they keep six guards! In addition Pete will not make it unless a team calls for Brown.

3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

I am hoping they keep Pete. He is not a great perimeter shooter by any means, but he is a very good defender and energetic, scrappy player inside. He's also a very good team guy on the court and in the lockerroom. He reminds me a lot of Ruben Patterson - except that he's a model citizen off the court.

4. Ghettostar85

Ghettostar85 Member

Ismael Ahmed

5. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

I agree. Nothing against OT or Tito, but we have a lot of weapons on offense. Some good solid D at the 2 would be great.

Not that I like Patterson all that much, but give the guy some credit for having the cajones to call himself a "Kobe-stopper". And if Mikeal has that mentality (and some of that ability), bring him on.

#5 GATER, Sep 26, 2002
  6. Stylez

Stylez Member

Torres will probably be the back up w/ Tito starting the season on the IR. If PM could make the team that would be cool w/ me but I don't think he got enough summer league run to be able to make our Roster.

7. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Tito is here to stay, I don't think the Rockets would have signed him already if they didn't think he could help the team. And I agree with pippendagimp Pete Mickeal is a perfect fit for this team. He reminds me a lot of Ruben Patterson, but I guess that is natural since they both went to Cincinnati, so Bob Huggins recruits the same type of slashing SF. Mickeal is also an outstanding rebounder, he rebounds like a PF. But Mickeal's defense alone makes we want him on the team. We need as much defense as we can get!

8. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

petes my herooo

[​IMG]

look at pete sky high

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#8 Tonaaayyyy, Sep 26, 2002
  9. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

http://enquirer.com/bearcats/2002/04/10/uc_mickeal_could_step.html

Some info on this beast!
    I hope Rockets sign him

When Pete Mickeal was playing for the University of Cincinnati, his winning track record was well-documented. He played for two junior college national championship teams at Indian Hills (Iowa) Community College, going a combined 76-1.
    The Bearcats were 56-10 during Mickeal's two years. Now he's with the Kansas City Knights, the regular-season champions of the American Basketball Association. The Knights have a first-round bye in the league's postseason tournament, which begins tonight in Anaheim, Calif.
    Kansas City finished 32-5, nine games ahead of second-place Southern California. But it has gone 24-2 since Mickeal joined the club Jan.16 and takes a 22-game winning streak into the single-elimination tourney.
    Mickeal is among the top candidates for the ABA's most valuable player award. The 6-foot-7 forward is averaging 23.4 points (sixth in the league), 6.7 rebounds and 2.7 assists with a high game of 42 points.
    He is shooting 58.8 percent from the field (third-best among regular players), 38.2 percent from 3-point range and 75 percent from the foul line.
    “He was hands-down the best player every single night in our league,” Kansas City associate head coach Michael Born said. “He's had games where he's been 10-for-18 and he's apologized to us, saying he didn't bring it like he needs to bring it.”
    Among Mickeal's teammates: Thomas More College graduate Rick Hughes (21.3 ppg, 11.8 rpg).
    Kansas City was interested in Mickeal for some of the same attributes he had as a college player: toughness, defense, finishing around the basket.
    And winning. His Indian Hills/UC/Kansas City record is 156-13 (.923). “Because he's not a big-time athlete and he's not a big slasher and he's not going to jump over anybody or shoot a bunch of 3s, he kind of almost lulls you to sleep a little bit,” Born said.“And then when it's done, he's got 32 points and 12 rebounds and you're like, "Ge ez, where did that come from?'”
    Mickeal was selected No.58 overall by the New York Knicks in the 2000 NBA draft and spent the summer with the franchise but eventually was released. He went to Tampa to play for its ABA team, but in the fourth game he went up for a rebound, came down and tore his Achilles.
    “I watched everybody play all year,” Mickeal said. “I think that's what motivated me the most. I finally got to sit back and study the game. I looked at all the tapes from college — all the things I did right, all the things I did wrong.”
    He was living in Miami and gained 20-25 pounds. One doctor said he didn't know if Mickeal would walk straight. “It was a hard process,” Mickeal said. “I didn't know what to do without basketball. The thing about it is, not one day went by where I got down on myself. Not one day. I think that helped.” The cast came off for good in June — after four months. Mickeal spent July in a walking boot and resumed walking without it in August. He was in the gym by October and in December went to London but couldn't find the kind of deal he was looking for.
    That's when Mickeal returned to the United States and landed with the Knights. “From the first game I got here, I've been ready to play,” Mickeal said. “My game is so much better now than it was when I got hurt, it's not even funny. I know how to play the game better, shoot the ball better. I'm smarter about the decisions I make. I go to the hole better. I'm driven by what happened and the process I went through.” George Bass, Mickeal's Dallas-based agent, said eight or nine NBA teams have asked about his client and he expects Mickeal will play for an NBA team in a summer league. Mickeal said he had an offer to earn $30,000 for one month playing in Spain, but the team wanted him to leave Tuesday, which he declined to do out of loyalty to Kansas City. “This team has been great to me,” Mickeal said. “I wouldn't just pick up and leave them like that. We're really going to blast these guys Thursday and Friday. Nobody can stop us.”

10. tozai

tozai Member

Pete FOR SURE...

11. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I thought Maddox signed a two-year deal? I believe the first year is guaranteed. I don't think you can sign players to multi-year non-guaranteed deals.

12. r-fan-since-81

r-fan-since-81 Contributing Member

13. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

No Prob:D :D

yea they were running the show in cinci

14. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

o yea they have some info on the rockets site

15. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Anyone know if Pete can play some D?

16. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

nbadraft.net said this after Pete was taken #58 by the Knicks in the 2000 draft: "Mickeal is about the best last pick of all time."

They also had him down as the 34th best prospect prior to the draft:

"34. Pete Mickeal Cincinnati Jr. SF 6-6 220 Mickeal is a jumping jack who is very active around the basket. A scoring machine, should fit the NBA SF position well. Recently changed the form on his jumpshot which should eventually help his outside shooting."

17. UT Baller

UT Baller Member

I was hoping that he was going to make the team last year. The guy reminds me of Mario Elie w/out the outside capability. He would be a good fit forour second team as a sg. Imagine the second unit we would sport: Moochie, Mickael, Morris/Boki, Griff, and Cato. That lineup, if it could score, would be perfect for 5-10 mins. They are much better defenders than our starters from top to bottom.

18. Believe

Believe Contributing Member

Is Mickeal quick enough to play the 2?

19. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i saw pete mickeal play for the knicks (since im in NY) it was probobly the coaching but he didnt do much when in the game.

seems like he had langhiitis. its a terrible disease that makes talented players think they are untalented, resulting in inactivity during a contest.

20. UT Baller

UT Baller Member

Believe- Not sure, but we could run zone if not or just let him do his thing with Griff and Cato/Yao backing him up.