1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    The Thunder are trying to stay alive in Dallas -- it's Game 6. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

PETA's new ad compares animal deaths to Holocaust

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by drapg, Feb 28, 2003.

1. drapg

drapg Member

PETA likens chickens
    to Holocaust victims
    Animal-rights activists launch campaign against meat eaters
    By Diana Lynne

Comparing chickens slaughtered at factory farms to the Jews annihilated in Nazi death camps, an animal-rights group has launched a campaign called "Holocaust on Your Plate" to promote the vegetarian diet.

As IsraelNationalNews.com first reported, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, or PETA, draws the comparison using explicit and graphic images of fluffy white chickens crowded into barnyard cages and emaciated adults and children peering out from behind barbed wire at the death camps.

PETA actually promoted the same comparison at the beginning of the Palestinian intifada in Israel in 2000.

In a press release, PETA said it launched the project on the campus of the University of California-Berkeley over the weekend to "stimulate people to contemplate how the victimization of Jews, Gypsies, homosexuals and others characterized as 'life unworthy of life' during the Holocaust parallels the way that modern society abuses and justifies the slaughter of animals."

"Just as the Nazis tried to 'dehumanize' Jews by forcing them to live in filthy, crowded conditions," continues the release, "animals on today's factory farms are stripped of all that is enjoyable and natural to them and treated as nothing more than meat-, egg-, and milk-making 'machines.'"

The statement cites examples of the alleged mistreatment of animals:

"Laying hens are crammed on top of each other in small wire cages that do not afford them even enough room to lie down. [Their] beaks are burned off with a hot blade to keep them from pecking each other for space."

"Pigs are kept on barren, sore-inducing concrete-floored stalls and are castrated and have their tails cut off without painkillers."

"Calves raised for veal are torn from their mothers within hours of birth and chained in tiny, dark stalls where their joints swell from trying to balance on slippery, waste-covered slats."
    "The very same mindset that made the Holocaust possible – that we can do anything we want to those we decide are 'different' or 'inferior' – is what allows us to commit atrocities against animals every single day," said PETA youth outreach coordinator Matt Prescott.

Prescott has relatives who were murdered by the Nazis, according to the press release.

"We are asking people to bring understanding into their hearts and onto their tables by embracing a nonviolent, vegan diet that respects other forms of life," he said.

As part of the campaign, PETA is touring a giant graphic display that consists of eight 60-square-foot panels on which pictures of the chickens, emaciated calves and a pile of dead pig carcasses are juxtaposed with shocking photographs of Holocaust victims on the brink of death and a mound of human corpses.

PETA's homepage links to a website called masskilling.com which offers a slideshow containing images from the display.

It opens with the statement:

"During the seven years between 1938 and 1945, 12 million people perished in the Holocaust. That same number of animals is killed every four hours for food in the U.S. alone."
    It concludes with a quote from author-philosopher Dr. Helmut Kaplan:

"Our grandchildren will ask us one day: Where were you during the holocaust of the animals? What did you do against these horrifying crimes? We won't be able to offer the same excuse the second time, that we didn't know."
    Prescott explains the purpose of the exhibit, which it has made available to college campuses and towns, is to "graphically depict the point made by Yiddish writer and Nobel laureate Isaac Bashevis Singer, who wrote, 'In relation to [animals], all people are Nazis.' It stresses the "common roots of victimization and violence" and how people can help fight them through the decisions they make when they eat.

Los Angeles resident Roz Rothstein was born and grew up without relatives because of the Holocaust.

"Everybody in my family was affected," she told WorldNetDaily. "This kind of exaggeration is an insult to the people who were mass murdered. It's absurd. To make a moral equation between chickens and humans belittles the people who died through the various methods of murder at the hands of the Nazis."

PETA is known for its zealous advocacy of animals' rights – often above human rights.

Earlier this month, PETA spoke out against Middle East terrorism instigated by Palestinian Authority leader Yasser Arafat after an explosives-laden donkey was used in a bomb attack in the West Bank.

No humans were killed in the incident, but the explosion narrowly missed an Israeli bus carrying soldiers.

PETA President Ingrid Newkirk sent a letter to Arafat, pleading with him to "appeal to all those who listen to you to leave the animals out of this conflict."

"We have received many calls and letters from people shocked at the bombing," she wrote.

Newkirk has not raised any objection over suicide bombings that kill people.

"It's not my business to inject myself into human wars," she told the Washington Post.

As WorldNetDaily reported, PETA was part of a coalition that succeeded in getting constitutional protection for pigs in Florida last November. The $1.4 million ballot initiative amended the state constitution to limit the "cruel and inhumane confinement of pigs during pregnancy." The referendum specifically outlaws caging pigs in gestation stalls, which are metal enclosures that measure two feet across and prevent sows from turning around freely.

Advocates readily admitted there wasn't a problem in Florida with gestation stalls, but used the campaign to set a precedent for activists across the country.

"It's ironic in itself. We sometimes award our animals better protections than ourselves," Matt DuPree, executive director for the Florida Christian Coalition, told WorldNetDaily in response to the amendment. [/i]

I've been a vegetarian for a long time but PETA is really pissing me off and making me want to go out and eat a burger just in spite!

2. drapg

drapg Member

Here is the link to an online version fo PETA's ad display:

BEFORE YOU CLICK ON IT REALIZE THAT THERE ARE SOME VERY DISTURBING IMAGES OF HUMANS AND ANIMALS INVOLVED (EMACIATED). NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART OR STOMACH OR EASILY OFFENDED.

http://www.masskilling.com/exhibit.htm

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

came back saying file not found...that might be a good thing

4. drapg

drapg Member

Well, well, well. CNN at work. The link was mentioned on CNN after I posted the article. It looks like PETA's webmaster saw that his site was about to get overloaded with hate mail and took the ad down!

Trust me, it was BAD.

5. drapg

drapg Member

Darn edit!

Actually, if you go to www.masskilling.com and click on the "View Display" link in the menu, you can still see it.

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i'm wondering how these folks feel about partial birth abortion. i mean, if you compare chicken farming to the holocaust, partial birth abortion is more comparable to armaggedon.

7. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Absolutely ridiculous.

In honor of PETA, I will be heading to Frenchy's on Scott street so I can down me a bucket of cajun seasoned fried "holocaust victims" for dinner.

PETA has just back-handedly insulted holocaust survivors and relatives of holocaust victims. What brilliance.

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

While I completely disagree with them on this, and many other issues, I can understand how someone who thinks that all animals, humans and non-humans, are equal could make this link.

Again, I disagree with them though.

9. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

MMMMMMMMM...holocaust victims....

10. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

PETA is a joke.

A sponsor to their yearly awards... Benihana Vegetarian Delights. A part of the Benihana restaurant chain that chops, shreds and mutilates the meat in the table before you.

Way to go PETA! Ribeye anyone?

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Hell that means I honor PETA about twice a week
    [esp on Peach Cobbler days]

PETA is a Joke and a poor on at that
    They are just almost on the verge of being SICK!

Rocket River

12. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

As someone who supports the cause of animal rights and is a vegetarian, I gotta tell you that PETA makes it worse and worse for us every muther f*cking day. What a bunch of f*cking morons.

Way to make people who probably didn't before WANT to kill animals. I didn't think that was even possible.

:(

13. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

As the article points out, we definitely should not de-humanize chickens. They're humans just like you and me. ;)

14. Chance

Chance Contributing Member

I don't know where I stand on animal rights. I eat meat and would never quit. NEVER EVER EVER NEVER. Gimme my meat. But I do no like hunting. I don't want animals to be inhumanely slaughtered. Make it quick and painless, that's what I always say. I think that the more emotion a beast has in its eyes, the closer to having a soul it is. Like my dog...he seems to laugh sometimes so he might have one. But fish and birds...? Forget about it. Soul-less animals. Cats are somewhere in the middle. I think kittens have souls but then they lose them. Reptiles are satan. I feel sorry for squirrels and cats that get squashed by my car when I am driving. But I feel more sorry for dogs. If I ever hit a horse I would feel awful. They have sweet eyes. So I don't know where I stand. I certainly don't wish ill on any critters. I think that man is the superior animal on the planet and the rest of the varmin' are here for our purposes. If a race of animal is sick of being slaughtered for its fur it should evolve and take over the humans.

15. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

This story is making me hungry.

I'm heading over to KFC to eat a bucket of 3 dead chickens.

16. Mrs. JB

Mrs. JB Member

Mister Rogers was a vegetarian.

17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Now that I think about it, there was a curious lack of animal slaughtering (or, for that matter, holocaust footage) on his show. It finally all makes sense now!:)

18. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

But wasn't a character’s name "Lamb Chops"

19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I think that's another show,
    a sinister show with the hyper-active, raw-meat-devouring woman...

[​IMG]

20. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

OK, neighbors...now let's take a trip to the ConAgra foods meat processing plant. These types of places used be called "slaugherhouses", but that's not a very nice word to say about these types of places.

:::slaughterhouse footage starts rolling:::

Now, this guy is called "The Beater". He takes that big stick and beats the cow on the head to knock it out. Doesn't that look like fun? Of course, you shouldn't try this out on your little brother or sister or you could hurt them. Uh oh, there's a cow that didn't get knocked fully unconscious. Don't worry, his pain will end soon.

This machine right here is the stripping machine. This is where the skin is stripped off the cow and used to make stuff like belts, shoes, jackets and couches. Do you have a leather jacket? Hey, maybe the leather jacket that YOU have came from this factory. Wouldn't that be neat? Hey, there's that cow that didn't get knocked unconscious. Wow, now that looked like it hurt, but it probably only hurt for a couple of seconds.

See these happy guys? They're called "gutters". They take that knife and slice open the cow's tummy so the insides fall out. Otherwise, you might some icky stuff inside your hamburger. That wouldn't be very tasty. Did you know that cows have five stomachs? Let's count the stomachs as the fall out....one...two...three...four...five!! Uh oh! It seems our happy little gutter person cut his arm. Remember kids, you should NEVER use a knife unless your parents let you

Here is the grinding machine. This is where the meat for your hamburgers and meat loaf is made. Now, don't worry about all those bones that go in the grinding machine. You can barely notice them once the meat is all ground up. Oooh, this happy guy got his arm caught in the grinding machine! He doesn't have to worry, though. He can still be a beater with only one arm.

Wasn't that fun, neighbors? Maybe you would like a career in the meat packing industry. You can go to your local library and read all kinds of books on how to get into this wonderful business....