1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Personal experience with Covid-19

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by basso, May 9, 2020.

?

Do you have personal experience with Covid-19

1. I have/had Covid-19

36 vote(s)
    22.6%
  2. I have an immediate family member who has/had Covid-19

33 vote(s)
    20.8%
  3. I have close friends diagnosed with Covid-19

39 vote(s)
    24.5%
  4. I know someone who was diagnosed with Covid-19

69 vote(s)
    43.4%
  5. I don't personally know anyone with Covid-19

49 vote(s)
    30.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I (very moderate) have come to agree with this and had a debate with a friend about it a few days ago. Maybe it is us relying on hindsight though? I think the other argument to be made is that we just had to keep the hospitals from being too overwhelmed during times that we did not know a lot about the virus.

SuraGotMadHops and DaDakota like this.
  2. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Man, sorry to hear that, I hope you feel better soon! And your daughter recovers quickly too!

My mom is on a similar drug so I'm always worried about that, I mean even before covid I was concerned so I'm sure it adds even more concern for you.

That's interesting on enhanced smell, I haven't heard of that.

basso likes this.
  3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Get Better Basso!

DD

4. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

In hindsight yes...

but everything literally shut down. There were concerns we had like a viral form of AIDS.

We'll never know, obviously. But at the time we had a very quick transmitting viral disease that was killing people and didn't respond to treatment.

Lockdown sucked and hurt the economy...but so would have people dying randomly from an untreatable disease.

Youre telling me people wouldnt panic sell stocks the moment millions (yes millions) are dropping dead to an unidentified disease we didnt know how to treat let alone vaccinate?

We got lucky its a SARS/MERS variant but unlucky Republicans think its not real

5. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Seriously @basso please get well soon!

basso likes this.
  6. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I wasn’t the same in 2020 but recovered somewhat, this past omicron was bad and I still have long covid

7. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

thank you; I'm mostly fine.

AroundTheWorld and tinman like this.
  8. SuraGotMadHops

100%. I know this isn't a D&D thread, but early on the information became quite clear who the high risk folks were. Shutting EVERYBODY down for as long as we did was unnecessary and we are still feeling the affects of it from an economic standpoint.

AroundTheWorld and basso like this.
  9. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Correct. And this isn't even factoring in the mental health declines that we saw. Economically, the people most negatively impacted are the lower socioeconomic classes, which sadly are the minority communities. They are paying more for gas, food, and rent and their wage increases have not kept up... their quality of life has declined due to wrongheaded policies.

AroundTheWorld and basso like this.
  10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

It's easy to MMQB this, but in reality the chances of having a 100% optimal response are pretty much zero.

It doesn't stretch the imagination to see a scenario where we just go "hey vulnerable ppl yall stay home k lulz" and end up with countless unnecessary deaths of otherwise not vulnerable people due to the healthcare system becoming paralyzed for an extended period of time.

Getting into specifics, I think the only place we were way too aggressive was school closure and the place we were way too passive was economic stimulus/aid. Again though, it's easy to throw stones after the fog has lifted. What deserves no quarter though is the egregiously muddled messaging and lies told by our institutions.

#110 DonnyMost, Jun 23, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
    Buck Turgidson likes this.
  11. basso

Supporting Member

we had thousands of unnecessary deaths of the elderly because of criminally negligent policies in NY and PA that placed covid patients in nursing homes.

12. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Yes, but that's a wholly different point (and also a localized phenomenon).

13. SuraGotMadHops

Even without the benefit of hindsight, some of this was very obvious in real time. We saw the goal posts quickly move from not letting the hospitals get overwhelmed with patients, to "We need to eradicate the virus." The initial goal should have remained the goal, lockdowns would have been much shorter and less extreme, and the passive aid you are talking about would have been adequate enough, and maybe even less would have been necessary.

Science itself got compromised by over-politicalization, on both sides (but much more by democrats IMO). If the focus just remained on the virus itself, and not how we do use this virus for political gain, the country would be in a much better spot right now.

14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Oh damn.
    I got norovirus a few years back . It was terrible. Did you go on a cruise ?

still evading Covid like Tmac the second round for me

15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How healthy were these people ?
    I know people who were vaccinated and the people who were not of optimal health before got it and they were very symptomatic and those who were healthy got like no symptoms

16. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

You keep talking in generalities and offering no specifics. Feel free to elaborate.

I agree and I kind of mentioned this already. Mission creep and mixed messages.

Possibly, but again, speaking in generalities with the benefit of hindsight make this fairly hard to parse.

"COVID ZERO" was destined to be a bad idea, but there's a huge chasm between "COVID EVERYWHERE" and "COVID ZERO" that is difficult to account for, especially when you're talking about an inter-connected world where one country or state's policies can affect yours and vice versa.

Not much argument here. Although I think whatever lead you sense Democrats had in the race to politicize the problem is either a result of A) your own bias or B) the fact that Republicans ran the country at the time. Also, before you go complaining about partisanship you may want to take a look in the mirror.

17. Roscoe Arbuckle

Literally have not even had a head cold in the past 2 years, and I've been exposed multiple times.

Pretty sure beer works for this. Or wine...

18. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's your tiger blood, Charlie

No Worries likes this.
  19. basso

Supporting Member

I had credited cocktails with my prior indifferent instances.

didn't help this time.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  20. Roscoe Arbuckle

I'm more concerned with elephant stomping.