1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Perfect Storm for Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Progs, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Progs

Progs Member

To be awful in 2013 mlb season. Reasons...

They trade away all the veterans that had leadership and some talent...
    The Astros were move to AL a year of adjustment most likely and they were moved into the toughest division in the Majors and all 4 other teams have improve dramatically...
    Every phase of the team is pretty weak starting pitching,bullpen,and offense and depth is non exisistent...
    Most of the top talent in the majors is a year or two years away from the MAJORS and th number #1 prospect who suppose to HELP this year was suspended for 50 games and might not likely get call up until Sept. now and expectations were HIGH for him this season...
    Losing Lance Berkman was bigger than you might think because of leadership skills and was likely a DH in which would of kept him fresh and maybe a big season was in order...

Saying all that if Astros win 65+ games Bo Porter has done one hell of a job...2014 season I expect bigger things though...;)
    As far as the positives is getting the young players experience and the 2014 MLB draft will have 2 pontential BIG TIME talents...

NC ST pitcher Carlos Rodon - Ace pontential with assortment of unbelievable stuff and physically he is built great...
    HS pitcher from Florida Touki Touissant - Another Ace pontential whose UPSIDE combine with his Raw Stuff is things he was blessed with from the BASEBALL gods...

2. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

Wish I cared about the dumbasses who have prevented me from watching my favorite team in sports.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Still blown away by the idea that people are blaming the Houston Astros for the state of the Houston Rockets' media package. Unreal.

4. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Even if the agreement for CSN requires the consent of all parties to a deal (which is unlikely), it is on Les that he allowed others direct at in his team's media availability.

Is it possible that Les signed such an agreement in order to get the huge dollar figure under the CSN agreement? Maybe, but I doubt it. If he did, then it is evidence that he wanted the up front money more than he did to make sure that his team is available for fans to follow. Terrible long term strategy. That is why I doubt it. You don't get where Les is by being short sighted.

5. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

So easy to blame the bad team...

If this situation were reversed, there would probably be a bunch of "Who cares, the Astros suck anyway" and "The Rockets are doing Houston a favor by keeping the Astros off the air"

6. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

The division will not be easy, but to say the other 4 teams have all improved dramatically in my opinion is not correct. The Rangers certainly haven't improved. Losing Hamilton and Napoli is taking 60+ HR out of the lineup and that isn't easy to replace. As far as Lance goes, if they want to spend 10 Million on him while letting those others go, that is their decision, but even if he does stay healthy (which isn't likely) he would replace Napoli, not improve that spot, and the loss of Hamilton is going to be pretty big. Also, I haven't seen Oakland do anything to improve themselves, in fact that was a team that came out of nowhere last year and over performed. Maybe they will repeat that performance but it probably isn't likely. I could see the Angels running away with that division.

I hope we improve some this year, especially guys like Martinez, Castro, Wallace, Lyles, Norris . . .but if we do struggle to the worst record in the majors again, another big piece to the puzzle could very well be the end result

7. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

But they do. They declined the deal. They need more money. Its unreal that more people aren't pissed about it.

8. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

What motivation did the Astros have to make a deal 6 months or so before their season starts? To help the Rockets isn't one of them.

9. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

Either way, I can't watch the Rockets.

10. msn

msn Member

a new thread to tell us a bunch of things we already knew? and bold print to make it emphatic? this thread is fail.

11. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

Tell me more about these ace young pitchers

12. FR0497

FR0497 Member

That was painful to read....

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Everyone who's been on this site long enough knows where your loyalties lie.

14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

God and his son Jesus Christ.

15. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

People would have to care about the Rockets to be pissed. Most of their 'fans' this year probably aren't even in Houston anyway and have no reason to get Linsane about it.

Having said all that, count me in as one who actually blames the Rockets for them not being televised in Houston.

16. PhiSlammaJamma

So we catch a bunch of big fish and then die. Saweet.

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

It's not about loyalties. I'm not going to be happy with the Astros if I can't watch their games in the Spring, either. I'll blame them for that...not the Rockets. The same way I blame the Rockets for me not being able to see their games right now.

18. CCM721

CCM721 Member

Why would we half-ass the rebuild? The higher the pick in next years draft the better in my book.

19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I really really love how people believe one's opinions on this issue gives others carte blanche to make personal insults.

20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

You can't have an opinion about this because you can watch the games. :)