1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Per Woj : Melo expected to come off the bench

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by treyk3, Aug 13, 2018.

1. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

That doesn't answer my question...

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

neither did it have anything with the post you replied to so its irrelevant

3. macho GRANDE

macho GRANDE Elvis, was a hero to most but................

4. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Ok let's try this again smh, why do you think Woj went back and edited his article about Melo coming off the bench?

5. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

Carmelo officially changed his Twitter bio

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

bump. Plenty of posts in this thread thinking that PJ was going to get removed from the starting lineup for some reason

BigMaloe, JW86 and JuNx like this.
  7. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Harden and Gordon have already both sacrificed and came off the bench for their team. Makes it easier to suggest that Melo do it when it’s coming from people who have themselves.

Also, baiting Melo with the promise of more shots with the bench unit is a significant carrot to dangle.

I don’t remember who I was debating with about Covington coming off the bench, but pairing Ennis and Melo is similar to the vision I had laid out for pairing Covington with Saric/McConnell/Bayless/Amir to mask some defensive deficiencies there.

JayGoogle and heypartner like this.
  8. MystikArkitect

So our second unit is going to be CP3/EGo/Melo?

Lmao. Good luck NBA teams.

BigMaloe and DonKnock like this.
  9. JW86

JW86 Member

Awesome! Ennis and Melo makes much more sense than Tucker and Melo.

10. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

Why not? Bring both Melo and Paul off the bench. Keep them playing together, developing chemistry. Or maybe start them sometimes and bring Harden and Gordon off the bench. As long as they all get their minutes and the team wins, why not?

11. psaman17

psaman17 Member

Cp3
    Gordon
    Harden
    Tucker
    Capella

This might be the smallest starting lineup in the NBA. We've always valued skill over size so that makes sense. Our perimeter defense is pretty weak with Harden/Gordon on the wing.... who will defend the other teams star?

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

Tucker

13. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Depends on the star. Probably Tucker or CP3.

14. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

So James will have to guard SFs with EGo starting? We will be small and probably get beat on the glass a lot, but if shots are falling teams will have to adjust to try and keep up with us. It will be interesting to see. I like the concept though. Im sure minutes will stagger where Melo will get time with CP and Harden. I like that we have options and mixes to play with during the season to see what works.

15. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

That starting lineup has more flexibility than one with Melo in place of Gordon because you're running out 4 good to elite defenders with Harden. When you make a line change to get Harden and Tucker a breather, you're bringing in Melo with Ennis so your defense shouldn't see a big drop off.

I like this. Granted I like the idea of Butler in Gordon's place but this is a good start in letting all (e.g. Melo) know what the hierarchy is going to be.

YOLO likes this.
  16. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I don't see how our rebounding numbers would be negatively impacted considering Harden has shown he can grab 8-9 boards a night which would nullify any lack of rebounding Gordon brings to the starting lineup. It's not as if Ariza was gobbling up numbers either.

My expectation is that Capela continues to grow his game and increase his rebounding average to about 12 this year.

17. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

18. psaman17

psaman17 Member

Makes sense. We probably will have to hide Harden on a stretch 4 with Tucker defending say a kawhi Leonard or a lebron James. Tucker will have to earn that paycheck this year. He probably will have to log a lot of backup C minutes too.

KingCheetah likes this.
  19. YOLO

YOLO Member

Tucker earned that paycheck a long time ago when he took the paycut. His contract is underpaid in comparison to what he does for this team and how important he is

20. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

If Gordon starts alongside Harden then opposing #1 wing options are gonna eat.