1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[People's Daily Online] Tell it like it is: Yao Ming

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketsFAN3035, Jul 18, 2005.

1. RocketsFAN3035

Didn't see this posted anywhere, but if I'm wrong, lock it up and sorry for the boher. Probablly will get lost in all the Swift Shuffle anyway. I thought it was an good read though.

Tell it like it is: Yao Ming

Facing the swarming microphones, cameras and all sorts of questions, Yao Ming has been accustomed to these and is able to handle them freely and humorously. On July 13, Yao Ming, who has been away from China for 10 months appeared in front of the media again for a special interview.

About Rockets

From continuous defeats at the beginning of the season to advancing to the playoff, the duo of Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady has become the hottest topic. As the first NBA contract for Yao is due soon, Yao said he hopes to stay with Houston.

The team- "My performance turned better and better as the season approached to the end for I got increasingly familiar with my teammates. Generally speaking, we have become better and better. The performance of the team at the beginning of the season was affected by the exchange of players."

Teammates- "Tracy is a great player. He has shown much of his talents in the season; while Steve Francis has his own style. He plays by imagination, and I miss him very much though he has left Rockets. Bob Sura had a wonderful season. Few guards can grab rebounds like he does."

Rebounds-"I think I am not active enough in rebounds, and my rebounding technique still needs improving. I have been giving my attention to fixing the problem in these two weeks."

Contract- "My expectations for salary are like other people's- the more the better. I have been in Rockets for three years and there is at least another four years for me. Rockets, in general should be the team I wish to play for.

About NBA

Yao has been tempered in the world best basketball league for three seasons.

"I am more familiar with it than before. At that time I shouldered huge pressure and now the pressure is not that heavy. At that time all I felt was darkness in front. Now I know there is great pressure but at least I can see it clearly. That is the biggest difference."

O'Neal-"His dominance is unprecedented. I had asked Dikembe Mutombo what he felt while playing against O'Neal in the 76ers and that was O'Neal's peak time. Dikembe was a bit recalcitrant, but he did think O'Neal is not invincible."

No.1 Pick in NBA Draft - "He has played in the NCAA for four years so the road for him will be much smoother". Andrew Bogut of the University of Utah is the first overall pick in NBA Draft 2005.

Ha Seung-jin- "I played one game against him in NBA. It seems he is very hardworking and ambitious, because he is now very different with the one I saw two years ago at the Asian Championships.

Competition- "In NBA there are no such things like ¡®retain the 8th place and strive to be the 6th', or first secure the 2nd and then compete for the champion. There is only one goal, the champion."

NBA Final- "I didn't watch the finals, because watching other team's game after eliminated is a little distressing. Please understand my feelings."

About the National Team

Yao is already the undisputable core of the Chinese men's national basketball team. His existence does not mean dominance in the paint for the Chinese national team.

Injuries- "I have recovered 50 Percent or 60 percent from my feet injury. According to doctor's plan, I will need another four weeks before I can go back to training."

Future- "I hope we can go further than I did in Athens Olympic Games. We need to play more games with teams in Europe and the US."

Guards- "I hope people can create a favorable environment for our guards. After all they are the best guards in China. You know not anybody can find a position in the national team. Every one works very hard."

New faces- "There are many new faces in the national team. So I feel getting older and older. Sun Yue leaves me deep impression. I didn't expect the national team to have such a tall guard. He is 20, thin and left-handed. Wang Shipeng is impressive in training too, and so are Wang Bo Lv Xiaoming."

Mengke Bateer - "Life is not easy for Bateer since he got married. I am on my own now and don't have to be concerned for others. It is very hard to try to play in NBA repeatedly at his age. He has set up a model for young players. Not every player can be as lucky as I am. If any one wants to play in NBA, he must first look at Bateer to see if he has such perseverance. If he does he can have a try."

About the 10th National Games

In the 9th National Games men's final, Liu Yudong of the Bayi terminated Shanghai at last second. Yao's expectations and objective for the 10th National Games will be clear enough if he will be able to participate the Games that open in October in Jiangsu Province.

"The 10th National Games is the one I long for to play. Now that the NBA season has ended, I have to wait and see how China Basketball Association and Shanghai communicates with NBA. We will follow the contract. There is no problem for me if they reach an agreement."

About "Yao Ming, the challenger"

The movie, to be exactly a documentary, shot by Americans, with original name "The Year of the Yao", features Yao's struggle in NBA. It will be screened as from July 14 in China.

Process- "The movie shooting is comparatively easy, because I don't need to follow the script. I just do what I do every day and they record it and cut it."

Why shoot the movie- "At the beginning I didn't intend to shoot the documentary, or publish a book about myself, for in China people are not used to do so at such young age, 22, or 23. But the producers changed my mind, telling me it is the best record of experience. After a dozen years, the film and book will offer a more vivid memory."

Life

A 2.26-meters man is living under public attention every day. What will he feel? Yao has his own attitude and his way to deal with the attention.

Goal-"You will have motives in your life when there is a goal ahead. Time passes very slowly when the season ends. Just think you have nothing to do every day. It is boring."

Media- "A man keeps growing and this baseline keeps expanding. I hope this expansion will not exceed extent of my growth."

Model worker- "This is a great honor. People of my generation understand from childhood it is very glorious to be a model worker. For me, the biggest meaning of a model worker is anyone can succeed, whatever post you are on.

Love- "Can you change a question?" the always-fluent Yao became shy. "When it comes to love, it is ok so long as the two are suitable for each other. I don't ask for much. We have to wait until we have time, but both of us don't have time at present. I mean the marriage. We should do something when we are young, but we don't have time."

By People's Daily Online

2. TigerBait

TigerBait Contributing Member

I think its been posted already, because i know i have read that before.

3. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

4. RocketsFAN3035

crud....my bad....saw it in the Sportsguy's Intern's Dail Links today...thought I'd share, but as usuall, seems I've been beaten to the punch