1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

People working in the accounting field

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Ramu3, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Ramu3

Ramu3 Member

which field do you work in and how do you like it overall ?

2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I'm in tax, and I love it. Sure it gets stressful near deadlines, but I wouldn't trade it for audit or private industry.

3. Rockets Red Glare

Rockets Red Glare Contributing Member

I am in tax (and have been since '96). I was in public for 10 years and now do taxes in an industry job.

Coming out of college, whether you want to do tax or audit, the best experience comes from public accounting. Once you get that experience it is easy to get industry jobs.

4. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

I'm in tax... I hate September 15.

Ask me again when its not 5 days after...

5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

This was the first year in a while where I've felt stressed about the September 15th deadline. I was a zombie by the time I left on Thursday.

6. Rockets007

Rockets007 Contributing Member

7. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

I am in audit, at a public accounting firm. It is good for the most part.

Starting out it is kind of depressing, because you are semi-limited on what you working on, mostly doing the lower level stuff. You do learn a lot though.

I was fortunate enough to be able to travel (if you are into traveling). I've been to Chicago, Seattle, Provo, Las Vegas, and Atlantic City.

I would also advise doing public accounting (tax or audit) before any industry work. You'll meet a lot of people. If you are young and coming straight out of college, you'll work with people your age. If you end up going industry, you don't always get that unless you go with a pretty big company.

8. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

You should be totally relaxed now unless you have State work or are gearing up for RTA.

9. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

State work. still going balls to the wall until 10/15

10. esteban

esteban Member

My wife is a CPA, started out with PWC as an auditor, she is a controller now (oil & gas). The hours suck but you can't complain about the compensations. Between her salary and mine we have plenty of dough to do our chatity works(we have no children).

11. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I got a finance degree with no accounting hours and ended up doing pipeline gas scheduling for the last eight years. Could never break into transport marketing there or trading elsewhere, so first transferred out of that into budgeting for the gas storage group, then after three months of my co-analyst not inviting me to budget meetings I came down here to do gas settlements, which is just invoicing for natural gas physical sales and transport. Basically inventory/volume accounting with SAP entries, and alot of the people in the department are from pure reporting/internal auditing side and like that the hours aren't as bad.