1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

People Who play music.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Smallz88, Nov 30, 2003.

1. Smallz88

Smallz88 Member

Hey guys, this question is for anyone who currently plays the guitar

I just got an acoustic guitar as a gift, and no idea how to play it, and i dont really want to go and sign up for lessons, is there a way to learn from a site on the internet?

and if there is a site where it'll teach me how to play, would it be worth it, like is it gonna be harder to learn or just as easy as any other way? Thanks so much

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I sat down with my brother when I first got my guitar.

He showed me how to play 5 chords and then sent me on my way.

I learned how to read tabs (www.guitartabs.cc www.olga.net) and that helped a lot.

You should be able to learn from the internet.. if not, just take one lesson and if you have the desire, you will learn how to play..

3. Smallz88

Smallz88 Member

Thanks, for the sites.. But these are just tabs? i dont even know the cords yet.. thanks anyways

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I've never been to a site that teaches you chords.. try some beginner songs and see if you can't figure out tabs

5. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

I know some guitar but I'm not that good. But I would think you would want to start with open chords. And make sure your guitar is in tune. You might be able to find an online tuner or download a program that helps you tune it. But I would take lessons, you could probably get a free trail one somewhere just to see if you like it.

here are some open chords
    http://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=78

6. Pipe

Pipe Contributing Member

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I can play a mean rhythm guitar, but ask me to do a solo and get ready to laugh. :D

I taught myself by just learning the easy open generic chords (E, G, A, C, D) along with major and minor bar chords. Once you get used to playing those, you can just figure out 80% of the music out there.

8. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Unless you are musically gifted, take lessons.

9. bamaslammer

bamaslammer Contributing Member

Most music today is based on the blues (country, pop, rock, etc.) and always uses the same chords and 4/4 time (with a few exceptions, the Beatles, Phish and DMB come to mind). Now when it comes to jazz, you definitely have to be able to read and put your fingers into some unnatural positions with those jazz chords. I can play some rock and blues, but when it comes to jazz, I'll stick to piano and leave it to my best friend, who plays upright bass and guitar.