1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

People seriously, this is a GREAT deal!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketsFan11, Feb 18, 2010.

1. RocketsFan11

RocketsFan11 Member

Morey got his man. He wanted Kevin Martin all along and was turned down initially. However patience paid off! Good for him.

I loved Carl Landry's toughness & grit, BUT the bottom line is he's an UNDERSIZED PF who does not rebound efficiently. And yes he's got a nice contract for 1 more year, but what about after that? He's going to want to break the bank. He and the Rockets already had 1 standoff in contract negotiations that got so bad Landry threatened to go play over seas.

So you get a BIG TIME perimeter scoring option Kevin Martin locked in a "reasonable" cap figure by today's NBA standards. You are still solid at PF with Scola/Hayes. AND you still get cap relief with the other 3 players in the deal all coming off the books at the end of the season.

The other 2 deals were trash. Chicago and NY trying to unload their garbage on us. And as far as the draft picks, you CANNOT rely on them for anything. Picks can be a bust just as easy as they can be a contributor. Look at Jordan Hill for example. Lottery pick who can't even crack the Knicks lousy rotation. And you want that guy here?

I'll take the proven player like Kevin Martin in the PRIME of his career any day!

Plus the deadline is not here yet, Morey might have another ace up his sleeve to get us a defensive BIG. Tyrus Thomas maybe???

1 person likes this.
  2. rayrocket

rayrocket Member

I'd rather want to see TMac's contract expire as a Rocket.

3. Trip

Trip Member

Seriously, another one?

4. mazinger

mazinger Member

HELL YEAH!!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7rgN0BLl5h0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7rgN0BLl5h0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Can't wait to see Brooks, Lowry and Martin together on the floor!! All we will see are jsut streaks of blurr!! hahaha!! its going to be awesome!!

5. IngiGo-

IngiGo- Member

Sometimes, i feel like Rocket's Loyalty towards player seems to be very bad. Just because Carl is going to make more money after the contract is over we gonna trade him? Tmac situation was pretty bad too. I dont know, Carl was very energetic and and gave his heart out. I like Martin besides the fact that he gets injured like every season. But If Landry was invovled couldn't we trade with philly for igudala and sameul?

6. orbb

orbb Contributing Member

except we know this had nothing to do with talent. It was a cheap move, and you cant build chmpionship teams on the cheap. Welcome to the Clippers of the future people

7. linyunblue

linyunblue Member

We could not get a better SG than Kevin Martin in this situation.

But we may acquire a PG like Carl Landry, say, Bull's Thomas.

8. Al Capone

Al Capone Member

Sorry buddy, there was already a thread sayin this is the "Best deal ever", im gonna have to roll with that one.

9. Garner

Garner Member

I know your 2 cents are the most important here, but just jump in conversation and drop it in on another thread.

10. J.Will.Xu

J.Will.Xu Member

Same ol' same ol'. too many threads all pointed to the same thing about the trade. Just getting fed up with the wait. Please, the deadline comes quicker than ever, I wanna know what exactly is going to happen. I'm losing my patience.

1 person likes this.
  11. TheGM

TheGM Contributing Member

How was it a cheap move? Really? Martin is getting paid 34 million over 3 years. This got us under the luxary tax, but we'll be near it again in the off season after we resign Lowry, Scola and someone with the MLE.

12. busta_cap

busta_cap Contributing Member

Hello, Hyperbole Harry.

I am saddened to lose Carl's toughness and fire, but come on. "Clippers of the future"? :rolleyes:

13. acefan18

acefan18 Member

Im betting another deal happens. I'm pleased with this deal, but it stings to lose Carl.

14. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

I don't want to post in the best trade ever thread simply because I am still attached to Landry, butttt

Yao / Andersen
    Scola / Hayes / Armstrong
    Arzia / Battier
    Martin / Buddinger / Taylor
    Brooks / Lowry/ Rodriguez

I look at this rotation for any holes. I don't see one. Morey has finally taken care of every need. This season, develop chemistry, learn the system, playoff experience (hopefully). Then, re-sign Lowry and Scola and we are ready to compete.

Now, if Morey is half as successful in the draft, my head will explode.

15. NuthinButNett

NuthinButNett New Member

Losing Carl will hurt, but long term I think this is a great deal! We'll see how the rest of the day plays out... only a few hour left...

16. orbb

orbb Contributing Member

We know Landry is going to command bigger pay next year (and he should), so we dump him now

17. CGuess

CGuess Member

Loosing Landry still hurts, good luck carl!

18. orbb

orbb Contributing Member

Isnt that what the Clippers do...miss playoffs, hit the lottery and draft good payers on the cheap, then trade them before paying hefty contracts. It seems to be the Morey way

19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Were you the one saying "There will be no trade." ???

20. verse

verse Contributing Member

So the bottom line on Landry is that he's an undersized power forward, right? Um, the bottom line on Martin is he's a fragile (undersized), injury prone, no-D playing, no shot (for his team) creating, perennial losing, injury prone (oh, it happened again), SG.

Care to explain that theory again?

1 person likes this.