1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

people made fun of me when i said capela would be a top 3 center in the league

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HardenMvp, Apr 16, 2018.

1. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Uh... double check your math? Even if he made 3 more (which he didn't), he would still be under 50% at 41/85, which is sub-par. I am definitely not overstating how paltry it is. Let me repeat, he is shooting 46.3% and with a hook shot that has terrible form. That is not a high percentage shot by any means, no where near high percentage actually. High percentage would be over 55% while 50% is merely OK. He is almost 4% below OK.

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Supporting members have the ability to rate threads.

Junkyard_Dog likes this.
  3. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

The hook shot isn't really a high percentage shot. The analytics have guided us away from the post game for a reason. How many players are actually hitting 50% on their hook shots at a high volume?

Karl Anthony Towns: 149 shots. 56.4%
    Joel Embiid: 70 shots. 51.4%
    Nikola Jokic: 128 shots. 49.2%
    Lamarcus Aldridge: 159 shots. 48.4%
    Anthony Davis: 67 shots. 46.3%
    Hassan Whiteside: 100 shots. 45.0%
    Demarcus Cousins: 37 shots. 40.5%. (Prior year: 74 shots. 40.5%)

These are some of the best big men in the league and by your standards only one is shooting a high percentage, one is merely OK, and the rest are sub-par. Capela is hitting an identical percentage to Anthony Davis on a higher volume, but I doubt you'd call Davis a paltry finisher on hook shots. Is there a reason why you only chose to show KAT's percentages?

4. photojoe

photojoe Member

This coming from the guy that said Harden's stepback was "Blatent" travel?

Sorry. Your opinion is wrong and invalid.

topfive likes this.
  5. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Because we are playing KAT right now and Kat is a more traditional center in regards to post play.

Those other big men you mentioned, every single one of them are capable of everything Capela can do (dunks, layups, and hooks) and much, much more. For example, Cousins, Davis, LMA, Jovic, Embiid are all capable of jump shots or fadeaway. Jovic is a great passer as well. All of them have other ways of scoring beyond dunks created by a PG.

Capela on the other hand, can do none of those things. He can't hit a turnaround J. He can't shoot from three. He can't post up. Unlike those other big men, what can he offer? This is why a hook shot would be a great weapon for him given his agility and ups.

By the way, quite a few big men are able to hit the hook at over 50% (Valanciunas, Gibson, Gasol, Lopez Bros, Zbo to name a few). The ones you happen to mention that don't have other shots they can create that Capela cannot.

#65 chenjy9, Apr 17, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  6. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

You LITERALLY JUST SAID

"He missed the only one he took during Game 1 and for the season, he shot 82 hooks at a paltry 46.3% rate."

You're right, I should've just looked up the dang number myself. I'm officially throwing your opinion out the window since you're now adding missed attempts since your first statement...

7. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Do you not know how math works? You can't just add 3 more made attempts without adding 3 more shot attempts. Obviously we won't discuss playoffs attempts this year since, you know, sample size. For the season, you said if he made 3 more. Well guess what buddy, you can't just add 3 more makes without also adding 3 more attempts.

8. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

I’m still making fun of you

9. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

You cannot be a top 3 C if you can't play 32+ minutes per game.

Capela will be top 5 rest of his career imo. His defense and free throw shooting will get better. Still what 24, 25 years old? I see 2 more years of development STILL.

And I won't change my mind if/when he gets destroyed by KAT some time this series.

10. bongman

bongman Member

OP is like the guy in the gym who celebrates a made 3 pointer like he is cooking even though he missed his first 15 attempts.

11. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

If he had made 3 more of his 82 attempts..... Sorry, I should've made that clear.

12. chenjy9

Supporting Member

If wishes were horses, beggars would ride. If we won 3 games instead against the Spurs, we would have played the GSW. You are talking fiction here, not reality. The reality is that he missed three instead of making them, because he is not good at them. His very sufficient sample size of 82 attempts proves this. This is mainly because his form is bad, very bad actually. This wouldn't be a problem if he could make them consistently with bad form like Bird's jump shot, but he doesn't.

Now it's not all bad news though. His hook shot attempts have increased from season to season without too much percentage variance. He is also a very hard worker. If he can improve it beyond 50%, having him as an inside post option with his hook shot like we had D-Mo would be a huge weapon for the Rockets offense.

13. OremLK

OremLK Member

He is outplaying KAT hard right now. He's not the best center in the league given what NOLA's got going on. But he might be top 3.