1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"People don't want to be embarrassed by me because of my skin color" Jeremy Lin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocketman03, Nov 28, 2012.

1. t3ddt3ch

t3ddt3ch Member

LOL , on another note yeah Lin got a 25 MIL contract, but really come on. The true irony lies within the other basketball players b****ing. They GET PAID millions to do what...play basketball?:grin:

2. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Oh, it most certainly does matter what Les wants. I'm not discounting Morey having an appreciation for Lin here. Real or perceived Les enjoyed the benefits Yao provided off the court in terms of growing the Rockets audience. I don't think you can discount Alexender's desire to see the Rockets on nationally televised games. Something Lin brought back to Houston this year. Les isn't about selling t-shirts, he's about growing the brand.

3. jose

jose Member

Cite source? Was this in the recent CBA? Because I see a lot of articles about X and so team losing a lot of money or whatever.

I know the NFL does revenue sharing but I'm unaware of what degree the NBA does.

4. torocan

torocan Member

Revenue sharing is broken down by revenue stream.

National television - shared
    Jerseys - shared
    Luxury taxes paid - shared
    General NBA sponsorship revenue - shared

Local ticket sales - not shared
    Local TV/Radio - not shared
    In arena merchandise (including jerseys) - not shared
    In arena sponsorships (bill boards, etc) - not shared

In other words, Lin adds to the bottom line, but not as much as people think. Assuming he remains a popular player, he will result in some amount of ticket sales, additional sponsors, and some in arena sales.

IF he also happens to help the team to more success, this can also translate into more beneficial broadcasting contracts in Contract years.

Local media deals are multi-year affairs, so any player's greatest impact is if they make the team more successful when that contract is due for renegotiation (higher ratings/desire from fans = better broadcast charge rates from providers). Being successful After a local contract is already signed obviously has limited value.

The impact also ranges tremendously.

For example, the Lakers signed a deal that apparently nets them $200M/year in local media revenues for the next 20 years.

Compare that with the Toronto Raptors who earns approximately $134M/year in TOTAL revenue.

The NBA is truly a league of Have and Have Nots.

5. jose

jose Member

Yeah that's about the amount of revenue sharing I expected, because otherwise it wouldn't make sense with all the owners saying they can't sustain running their teams while losing huge amounts of amount, Stern talking about possible league contraction, etc.

It really would be great if the NBA was more like the NFL where there was no such thing as a "Superteam", only the fans benefit from a watching perspective, but what kind of league is it if everyone mostly bought merchandise from about 3 teams?

To be fair there has been parity thus far this season. I wish the Grizzlies played in the East so they could play the Heat in a playoff series(off topic).

6. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

The media hype and contract are partly due to to his skin color. His race is a benefit that outweighs the down, IMO.

7. Cadreaming

Cadreaming Member

Lin has already brought in 4 sponsors in 4 months, East West Bank (the largest Chinese American bank in the U.S.), 2 tire companies and one other bank from Taiwan. It's rumored in Asia that the sponsorship deal is $3 millions a year. So 4 sponsors ($12 million) already cover Lin's salary this year ($5 million) and several other starters who are not named Harden.

8. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

If Lin wasn't Asian he wouldn't be making the money he is now.

9. RollsRoyce

RollsRoyce Member

I don't get why most think his contract is so big. It's only 3 years 25 mil. He was undrafted so he's not under a rookie contract. There's a laundry list of terrible players making more than Lin, even at the guard position....Rodney Stuckey?

10. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

That is nonsense. How do you know that? If Lin is not Asian he would be highly recruited by Division one power houses, then would be a high first round draft picks, and sign a good rookie contract.

Being Asia has always be something worked against him in his basketball career until the "Linsanity" started, even then, there was still so much racial hatred towards him (JR. Smith's comment).

You are no different from guys like JR. Smith.

11. hooroo

hooroo Member

Les has a factory and shops in China pumping out licensed Rockets/NBA merch. Whatever he makes from those isn't shared with the league.

12. Cadreaming

Cadreaming Member

I think you neglect one difference between those superstars and Lin: The respect/intimidation factor other players have toward superstars. Don't you think other players are intimidated by playing Jordan, Kobe or Lebron? Yeah, some may play them harder but I'd bet more are intimidated or starstruck. They lost before they played against Jordan because of his fame. Lin doesn't have this factor because of his race. Everyone wants to show up the Asian kid who dares to invade the blacks' playground and enjoy more fame than blacks do.

All the indiginity about Lin's contract is also tied to his race. $8 million a year is just slighly above average in the league. Lots of players who get paid in that range never get this much print or envy. When was the last time an NBA player dissed another player's contract? Like never? Lin isn't in the "brotherhood" so dissing his contract is acceptable for them.

13. VanityHalfBlack

Bullsh!t...

14. ShadowProphet

ShadowProphet Member

why do so many people focus on the contract. what lin is saying refers to much more than that and more that last season or this season.

lin is talking about the pre-conceptions often made about most asian american athletes in general. not just the few asian pro athletes but also the asians on school teams, rec teams and asians that just want to play a game of pick-up.

many of my asian friends say they get weird looks by others as soon as they step on the court. no one thinks they can play and are looked down upon before they even play a game. often times other people either take asians on too lightly at first or try to go out of their way to try and embarass them or try to show them up. thats what lin is talking about as being a target.

lin will still have to deal with the above as well as those that are irked by his contract.

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yes and no. His skin color almost prevented him from being an NBA player. It's AFTER he got the chance to prove that he was NBA material then the hype came because of his race. But that hype was more about the story of an underdog (due to his race and other factors) beating the odds than about race per se.

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It's like saying if Obama wasn't black, he wouldn't have been elected as president.

Okay, I know I am evoking another politically charged topic. But racism IS a politically charged thing. Maybe this thread should be in the D&D.

1 person likes this.
  17. milica

milica Member

Obama actually may be the best person to calm down any racial talk :grin:

The best family photo ever:

[​IMG]

18. lfw

lfw Rookie

I completely agree. We all saw how marketable NBA teams thought Lin was to the asian demographic when he got cut twice and came close to getting cut a third time by the Knicks. The hype would not be this huge if it wasn't a person with his underdog story that came out the starting gates putting up HOF numbers in his first 2 weeks of getting meaningful minutes in the NBA while doing it in the media capital of the world.

19. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

Chillax bro . you scared of asian horde? yellow peril?[​IMG]

20. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

NICE ONE - SLAM DUNK .