1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"People don't want to be embarrassed by me because of my skin color" Jeremy Lin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocketman03, Nov 28, 2012.

1. torocan

torocan Member

He's getting an average NBA starting PG salary. There are 30 PG starters.

There are close to 90 PG's in the league (starter, 2nd unit, 3rd string).

There are around 400 NBA players in the NBA. The average NBA player salary is around $5M.

In other words, there are ALOT of players that make LESS than Lin due to being 2nd and 3rd unit players, about half the starting PG's, players that earn similar amounts or more that took significantly more years to get those contracts, players on rookie scale or multi-year contracts locked into lower salaries, as well as players that play positions that do NOT get compensated nearly as well in general (like shooting guards).

So, there's no shortage of players that likely resent Lin for his contract, his fame, his media coverage, his endorsements and brand recognition, or any other reason you can imagine.

2. amaru

amaru Member

and it is a pretty big contract for a guy who only had 25 good games last year.

3. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

Yea, but that's because the Rockets cannot pay him more than $5mil per year.

People will always find something to use against you if they want to. Remember Anthony and JR Smith's comments on the Rockets' offer? It's a convention in pro sports that you don't talk about other player's salary, you think they would say something like that about a black, or white player's contract?

4. BornTexan

BornTexan Rookie

What the ****ing are you talking about?:mad:

5. roxxy

roxxy Member

Like Dragic you mean? Where is the controversy over Dragics money? And you would be lying to yourself if you didn't know that Dragic got that contract because of the 28 sample he had in Houston where he was killing it as the starter while Lowry was out. If Lowry had not gotten sick Dragic would have never gotten the starting nod & he would have never gotten that contract.

Wesley Matthews also undrafted in a similar situation as Lin got his contract based on about 40 NBA games. It happens in the NBA guys get paid all the time. The norm is that players are usually happy for one another when they get paid. However, Lin seemed to have been the exception for whatever reason.

6. split41

split41 Member

Cricket is very popular sport amongst a lot of skin colours, just sayin'

7. xclearscreen

xclearscreen Rookie

these guys are being paid to missed the point. LOH's on this site on the other hand, are just ignorant.

8. Come_Again?!

Come_Again?! Member

He's still butthurt that Lin left his beloved Knicks. SAS's is slowing losing my respectability...

9. roxxy

roxxy Member

The 15 million figure sticks out to people who are grossly uninformed. They conveniently don't mention that he is getting paid 5 million in the first two years. And frankly the cap hit is all that should matter to people which is an even 8 over 3 years. Unless you are Les, Les' accountant or his wife you should careless about the pay out.

10. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

I kinda agree that just because his not the stereotype, he will stood out no matter he is playing well or bad.

But if you ask me, Anyone that have a stretch of games like that, will definitely get national coverage, but for Lin, by being an asian american kid AND a Harvard grad?

11. BornTexan

BornTexan Rookie

Lin should speak out the truth again and again and again, just to troll the shiit out of those clowns.

12. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

first take managed to go 3:15 without mentioning tebow :rolleyes:

13. Jetfuel

Jetfuel Member

The irony is that the reason Lin got so much media coverage was not simply because he was Asian or from Harward but because he was undrafted and cut multiple times.

THAT was the story. How could so many pro's miss such an obvious talent? The answer? They overlooked him because of his race. At least this is what the story was.

So for someone to say that he got his contract BECAUSE of his race is really quite amusing.

14. BornTexan

BornTexan Rookie

You expect any one of those thugs mentions that simple fact? They only have opinions, biased towards their agenda.

15. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Lin should just focus on getting better and forget about the race card. The race card made him and it will break him if he lets it. He should just worry about becoming a better basketball player.

16. cfansnet

cfansnet Member

The interesting thing is that baseball, boxing, and soccer used to all be considered white sports. But that slowly changed as more and more capable minorities started to excel.

17. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

A black that can play and is smart enough to get into any college he wants, will not have to go yo Harvard to play ball - the last name on his list.

18. Metta

Metta Member

"People don't want to be embarrassed my me because of my skin color" Jeremy Lin

Oodles of comments later, I'm still trying to decipher the title of this thread.:eek:

19. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

I don't think it has anything to do with Lin being Asain, it has to do with him not being black and with the media hype.

A lot of black people always think they can outplay a person that isn't black whether that is on the playground, high school, college or the NBA. They also get treated that way because if you had two young high school kids with equal ability one black and one white the black young man will get more of a chance to prove himself.

I don't really think when players do this it's a bad thing it just raises the competition level. I think when coaches do it, which I'm sure Lin has struggled with, then it is wrong.

Personally I like Lin and I think he will end up being a good player for the Rockets and earn his contract but I don't know if this is an issued that he should have addressed.

20. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

I think it's the media. If linsanity was in Houston or any other small small market, nobody would've even paid attention. Being in ny and of course being Asian helped him get paid