1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"People don't want to be embarrassed by me because of my skin color" Jeremy Lin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocketman03, Nov 28, 2012.

1. PinkTacos

PinkTacos Member

Stephen A. Smiths two favorite words:
    1) Blasphemous (he doesn't even use this word properly)
    2) Disrespectful

I've always wondered why ESPN pays analysts who don't analyze. All they seem to talk about is what the think will happen based on feeling. I can get that type of analysis from a random stranger at a bar. They don't talk about the type of plays run or the type of defense (at least most don't).

They just say stuff like "oh Thunder won't beat the Spurs because they can't get past Spurs defense": o really Spurs play good defense who would have thunk it. Why don't you talk about the type of defense, or the type of plays that won't work on the spurs. I know basketball is more of a fluid game then football but analysts act like there are no X and O's in basketball. Its like the game has been dumbed down to accommodate casual fan.

LeBron didn't win the title in 11' because he choked...how about talking about the defense played by the Mavs and why it was effective. Or how the heat coach could have countered, etc...Lebron choked is a cop out with no real analysis what so ever. (Mark Cuban example)
    Sry. Random Rant Over:mad:

1 person likes this.
  2. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

So it's only racist if it goes against black people!? According to Rob Parker!

The sports world is quickly becoming racist against anyone that is not black! Especially the NBA!

If Chandler Parsons wasn't white he would've been a lottery pick...

3. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

For the 'blacks' ... it's about the contract and the sports illustrated. That's the resentment.

You can have one thing - a contract like Kwame, Darko, Jim McIivane or Jon Konkac (etc.), but you better not take both the contract and sports illustrated from us blacks.

I mean, we blacks don't give a damn about GQ, but Sports Illustrated? Twice? C'mon man ...

An Asian kid sells more Sports Illustrated magazines in a game of basketball (where blacks reign supreme) ... must take him down.

It's not too different from Melo or JR Smith. Contract plus attention, a big no no ...

And Jeremy Lin, like it is here on clutchfans, becomes a topic of blacks are being discriminated against in American society.

4. Rocketman03

Rocketman03 Member

couldn't agree more...i think you'll enjoy this: <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SAkVnlA9CJo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  5. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    You are incredibly ignorant.
    <br>
    Edit: In case you were quoting what the video was saying disregard what I wrote above. I have a "no watch" policy on anything SAS related.

#25 DudeWah, Nov 28, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  6. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

The video describes the Game thread in Clutchfans perfectly.

7. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

It would be the same if it were a female crossing up a guy. Everyone will want to play a bit above average just to avoid being embarrassed. Nothing wrong with what Lin said. He's right. But the talkers of this show totally missed his point. In fact, they kind of showed resentment towards Lin for the very reason players on the court get an extra pep in their step for.

On the court, it's, "he's Asian, I can stop this kid. What's the big deal?" See Deron Williams for proof. This was way before Lin got paid, so it wasn't the money envy. Off the court, these tools turned it into, "you're Asian and got endorsements because of it. Stop complaining." He wasn't complaining, he was merely talking about his experiences and treatment on the basketball court.

1 person likes this.
  8. PinkTacos

PinkTacos Member

I'm not a big fan of mark cuban (mainly due to the referee thing against Yao during the playoffs) but dam that video was beautiful...wish he pressured them even more, i think he let them off a little easy.

9. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Everytime I watch that it reminds me of how much of a turd Skip really is. Mark Cuban is a badass and understands the game a lot more.

10. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

All i saw from that video was...black people this black people that...its not fair bc it wouldnt happen for a black person. It wouldn't have happened for a white guy or an indian or a hispanic. Shut up.

11. ShadowProphet

ShadowProphet Member

these guy completely missed the point lin was trying to make and focusing too much on the contract/last season/fame.

lin is talking about the pre-conceptions often made about most asian american athletes in general. not just the few asian pro athletes but also the asians on school teams, rec teams and asians that just want to play a game of pick-up.

many of my asian friends say they get weird looks by others as soon as they step on the court. no one thinks they can play and are looked down upon before they even play a game. often times other people either take asians on too lightly at first or try to go out of their way to try and embarass them or try to show them up. thats what lin is talking about as being a target.

lin will still have to deal with the above as well as those that are irked by his contract.

1 person likes this.
  12. Rocketman03

Rocketman03 Member

I hated Mark Cuban, for the same reasons, but after watching this last year i gained quite a lot of respect for him. Passionate team owner, can't deny that.

13. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

14. moose

moose Member

lol at everyone hating on SAS. I don't like him much either, but that was a good decent discussion. He was not out of order.

15. Streakshooter

Streakshooter Member

Now, I seem to be in the vast minority with this one. But I believe SAS made some very valid points in an educated manner in contrast to his usual First Take yelling...

Are Rockets fans too hurt from his usual downing of Jeremy Lin to receive the points he made?

16. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

as much as SAS sticks up for the texans hes okay in my book.. his NYC bias is a bit sickening but whatever..

17. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Well, you can watch the video. Basically the 'black' commentators were saying blacks don't get the contracts + the Sports Illustrated (twice) attention, and hence feel discriminated and hence it makes sense for them to go after Jeremy Lin, who only had a short playing history of deserving that contract (and because he's not black).

By reversing it, if Jeremy Lin was black, then this would've been just fine, and the recognition that blacks deserve. Despite black people being the overwhelming 78% of the majority in the NBA.

Then they brought out two names of 'white' 7-ft centers who teams reached to sign to contracts bigger than they deserve. Forgetting teams overreach for tall people, always have, always will. They conveniently forget about guys like Kwame, or how Javalee McGee gets paid 4yr/$44M to be athletic and sit for more than half a game due to asthma (where's all the drama there?). If Sam Bowie was white, I'm sure they would've used his name also.

Am I ignorant of 'black' issues, for sure. At least I didn't write them down here, so that what it looks like. But those commentators and the examples they used were ridiculous.

18. Rocketman03

Rocketman03 Member

LMFAO

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nAB5lOIl-2U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. Rocketman03

Rocketman03 Member

u forgot Stromile Swift

20. SK34

SK34 Member

Well its obvious that nobody wants to get done up by an Asian or any other race that is not White or Black or Europeans.

Speaking from experience here, people actually go harder at someone who is not typical norm for basketball. IF you can play basketball (which Lin can - Yes I said it - He can) then they will go at you because you are not black/white/European. Its just how it is.