1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pelosi's loss of power to Omar?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Has Pelosi squandered the political capital she won against Trump over the government shutdown? One opinion about the fallout from the Omar controversy:

Zeldin’s point about the resolution being “spineless” hits closest to the overall lesson from this episode, which is this: Nancy Pelosi’s power has entirely evaporated. Had Pelosi acted like a real caucus leader with authority, she would have immediately booted Omar from her seat on Foreign Relations and demanded a full apology, with a censuring resolution a consequence for lack of compliance. That is precisely what Kevin McCarthy did with Rep. Steve King after his white-supremacy comments despite having struggled to get his position as caucus leader just a few months ago.

Pelosi has had the reins of her caucus for two decades now, and yet couldn’t act. Pelosi just got faced down by a first-term backbencher and a small cadre of extremists in her caucus, mainly because she didn’t attempt to exercise any authority. She dithered and vacillated, perhaps mindful of the narrow circumstances that gave her the gavel in the first place in January. In that vacillation, the extremists took her measure and forced her to retreat. The result was Pelosi’s ridiculous “All Hate Matters” sham resolution for which Omar herself voted — while laughing at the absurdity.

Pelosi still holds the gavel, but it’s now purely symbolic. The lunatics and the anti-Semites are running the House Democratic asylum. Pelosi has no legs left on her leadership, and everyone knows it. That’s why Democrats want to talk about Republican dissenters to this grotesquerie rather than what really happened this week in the House. Zeldin’s just forcing everyone to confront reality.​

https://hotair.com/archives/2019/03...ow-im-voting-spineless-disgusting-resolution/

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Nah, she gets to keep custody of Trump's balls.

3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Hmm... in his hurry to politicize hate what the right wing blogger seems to ignore... that steve king's offensively racist words and actions have been known for years... and that didn't seem to effect his role or status in the republican party, including his being ted cruz's co-chair in his presidential campaign. And... 23 republicans voting against the House resolution (and having to thus explain their votes... "when you are explaining you are losing"), I think the partisan republicans and their bloggers are simply hoping...

joshuaao likes this.
  4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

You're trying to respond so you're losing. @Os Trigonum gets a round of applause.

5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Yeas, I guess he trolled me again. I reckon simply ignoring his posts might be the better approach?

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I stopped after Steve King was mentioned.

Connies are little toddlers who can't understand "why things aren't fair" when they can't even get a widdle guy like Stevie to step down and resign.

Own up your mistakes. Shitcan your racists.

Maybe then we can discuss how Omar makes the Israelis and closet ME warmongering rapturists uncomfortable.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  7. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Pelosi's loss of power to Omar?

This is the Republican Party's wet dream.

[​IMG]

Black ... muslim ... woman. That right there is the trifecta.

#7 No Worries, Mar 8, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    Nook, Rashmon and FranchiseBlade like this.
  8. dmoneybangbang

9. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

hotair.com. Congrats on finally registering your own site. I wish you luck.

10. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

[​IMG]

11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

You said something stupid. I'm telllllling Mean granny Pelosi!

Control yer wimin libtards!

12. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

I think there are several interesting dynamics at play here.

Between Omar and AOC, Pelosi is looking comparatively centrist. And she also seems to be losing control (whatever control a speaker has) over her own party in the House.

Moreover, these things are highlighting the differences that may lead to serious ruptures and fracturing in the Democratic party.

I never understood how the leftists and feminists could make common cause with those who advocate/follow Islam -- these philosophies would seem to be fundamentally at odds with one another -- but maybe we are beginning to see the natural schism that inevitably arises from such differences.

jcf likes this.
  13. jcf

jcf Member

I agree with your last paragraph or at least that there are a number of Arab countries who by all accounts treat women horribly (or at least a significant portion of the populace appears to).

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

So, this is turning out badly for Pelosi and very well for the Congressional GOP.

15. conquistador#11

I'm PRESENT for this thread.

16. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Probably the same way Christians support a president that cheats on his wife with p*rn stars. In the real world, politicians and people in general don’t fit into neat little boxes that agree with everything you believe in.

17. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

similar assessment to the OP from Jonathan Tobin at NR:

"Indeed, Omar has emerged from this incident not only unscathed but also confident that many in the House, and several Democratic presidential candidates, consider her the aggrieved party in the discussion. With so many Democrats agreeing that Omar had been unfairly singled out because of her race and religion, that leaves Jews, one of the most loyal constituencies of the Democratic party, pondering the speed with which they had been discarded."​

https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/03/democratic-surrender-on-anti-semitism/

18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

What does that have to do with Omar?

So now supporting a politician who is Muslim is akin to supporting Islamic oppression in Saudi and Iran?

Anyways, the poster you are responding to is beating up a strawman. "leftists" don't support Muslim theocracies. They just believe that an individual is more than the religion they were born into and won't assume what individual Muslims believe.

astros123, Xenon and Harrisment like this.
  19. jcf

jcf Member

I specifically indicated that I agreed with his last paragraph and to the extent it referred to sections of the populace of certain Arab countries and not Islam. I wasn't even commenting on Omar who I do think has stepped in it repeatedly.

It is interesting how certain posters won't assume what individual Muslims believe (which I agree with), but seem perfectly content to assume what members of a different party believe or that supporting Trump equates with racism. Tolerance should be spread around.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The vast majority of Muslims are Muslim because they were born into it. It's nearly impossible to judge ideology and character based on merely being born Muslim. The vast majority of people are the religion their parents are. Being an ex-Muslim, pretty much every Muslim convert who converted as an adult I've encountered have severe personal or mental health issues.

People CHOSE to be Trump supporters. It's much easier to predict ideology and character seeing as how Trump is a very divisive edgelord himself.